Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you lived in a very poor country, would you start a family there?

Announcements Posted on
    • 87 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formerly Helpful_C)
    How did Britain get in a position to exploit other countries? Development.
    Well, if you look at empire building, it was part rich land owners and part government. It was really more of the rich land owners who decided initially to do the exploiting. The gov't couldn't really give two ****s about any one. Only then, was the UK able to have the industrial revolution and an empire

Also, you do realise that India had something like 20% of the world's trade going through there before it got invaded by the UK?

If any thing, India de-developed when Britain invaded. Hans Rosling explains a bit more:

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomaskurian89)
    Well, I'm attracted to women too. However, I've decided to temporarily abstain from sexual relations so my future kids won't have to suffer.
    You can always resort to masturbation to relief sexual tension.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    More motivated workers, just what this country needs if it is to remain economically competitive.
    You mean motivated slaves happy to skivvy 14 hours a day for below minimum wage because our minimum wage is a fortune in their own country.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother_Russia)
    To endur what youve had to endure?

Judging by your very existence on TheStudentRoom, proves you have Internet. Your previous posts also suggest you watch tv, have an opinion on the latest IPad, and you seem to have offers for Maths at some of the best universities in UK.

Personally, I think you've had it pretty good.
    You are a stalker, aren't ya?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chronist)
    You can always resort to masturbation to relief sexual tension.
    Thanks. I did not know that.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Kant Spall)
    Even if I were born a poor country, I would still be sexually attracted to women. Probably moreso considering there are statistically fewer instances of homosexuality in poor countries, and the likelihood that there may actually be legislation against it.

It would also be unlikely that, given my poverty, I would have access to contraceptive methods like condoms. Put two and two together and yes, I would probably start a family there, though not necessarily for the purpose of procreation... if you catch my drift. :sexface:
    :sexface: Stop using women to satisfy yourself.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I did not know that.
    :sexface: You have internet, you should know it. :cool:
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldn't, as I wouldn't want my child to be at a disadvantage. Bringing a life into the world is a big responsibility, they don't have a choice in being born and forcing a kid to live a rubbish life where it may not have enough food, or a home would be selfish on my part.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formerly Helpful_C)
    This is probably one of the stupidest viewpoints I hear perpetuated by liberals. It's just so illogical.

The only reason I live in a 'nice place' is because of development. Instead of people migrating, why don't they improve where they live? Then they, too, could live in a 'nice place'. I don't disagree with controlled immigration, but when it results in over 3 million people - who reproduce faster than the existing population - then there is a clear problem.

We are defined by our environment, which means that immigrants seldom fully integrate with their new country, leading to social tension.

So, please, take your viewpoint and bother someone else.
    No, you live in a nice place because by an accident of birth you were born in a nice place. Does being born in a certain place count as an achievement now, granting you special rights over people unlucky enough to have been born elsewhere?
    • 87 followers

ReputationRep:
    As for the population, that's something else that disgusts me: most Indians breed like rabbits despite the fact that the country is grossly overpopulated.
    With all due fairness, you actually do quite well for fertility rates now. It's 2.58 for 2012, down from 2.68 in 2009

From the graph below, it seems that India took a steep downward turn in the 70's, Bangladesh in the 80's and Pakistan in the 90's - though Bangladesh have now got a lower birth rate than both India/Pakistan, when initially they had a higher birth rate than both those countries

http://www.google.com/publicdata/exp...l=en&ind=false

Those figures only seem to go to 2009, so here's the CIA Fact book for 2012
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...fertility_rate
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    No, you live in a nice place because by an accident of birth you were born in a nice place. Does being born in a certain place count as an achievement now, granting you special rights over people unlucky enough to have been born elsewhere?
    Yes.

I believe in God, therefore it wasn't luck.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justmyopinions)
    Yes. As long as it is safe then I would work hard to provide or...
    Go to America!!! The land of immigrants
    P.S. Don't come to the UK, it's crap.
    I moved to America from Scandinavia when i was little, and now I'm in the UK. I have to say I like the UK much better than the US. It all depends on what you're looking for.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KattKaerringen)
    I moved to America from Scandinavia when i was little, and now I'm in the UK. I have to say I like the UK much better than the US. It all depends on what you're looking for.
    I've lived in the UK all my life, and, besides from the US, I have prefered every other country if I spent time in. Can't wait to leave the UK
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in the UK all my life, and, besides from the US, I have prefered every other country if I spent time in. Can't wait to leave the UK
    Maybe you should visit India or Africa just to realize how lucky you are.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Haha, people say that about Sweden. They leave it because it's crap and boring or they come to it because they love it. I am quite neutral in that question myself. Where do you think you'll end up then?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should visit India or Africa just to realize how lucky you are.
    I used to live in South Africa and it was amazing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KattKaerringen)
    Haha, people say that about Sweden. They leave it because it's crap and boring or they come to it because they love it. I am quite neutral in that question myself. Where do you think you'll end up then?
    France, Spain, or Italy I would go to America, but I really love the various European cultures and Europes history how about you?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Good Manners)
    You mean motivated slaves happy to skivvy 14 hours a day for below minimum wage because our minimum wage is a fortune in their own country.
    Even if they do that their expenditures will still be based on UK consumer prices. They are not going to be able to receive significantly discounted prices on essential amenities. At a certain point the lack of money saved will mean there is a threshhold below which it is no longer financially beneficial to do this.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Um... No.
    Only because I'd struggle to properly feed, clothe and care for them. I'd only have children once I'm financially capable so they can get the best possible.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    As for the population, that's something else that disgusts me: most Indians breed like rabbits despite the fact that the country is grossly overpopulated.

While I certainly don't expect Kashmiris to speak English, I sure wish they did.

I comment on the UK, because it is a country, just like India. Perhaps India should partition itself into 15 smaller countries, each with a single language.

You speak about Spanish in the US but that's just one additional language. Do you really think it's feasible to learn 15 different Indian languages?
    The birth rate in India is falling quite rapidly, along with most places in the world. It is still relatively high though- compared to say, Japan. Is this because of an actual desire to reproduce? Or because of insufficient distribution of contraceptives?

The UK is not comparable to India because it's population is nowhere near as large or diverse. It is far better to compare countries of similar size. For example, when looking at a nation's economy it would be silly to compare Germany to Andorra, wouldn't it?

There are over 20 different languages spoken in Europe (which has a smaller total population than India). However, this is not viewed as a problem in Europe at all. Why do you think this is?

In practice government in India is still quite federalist - so laws can vary between states (just as laws can vary between different nations in the European Union).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 8, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.