The Student Room Group

BIKINIS ... Too revealing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minniiee
pahahah whaaaaaaaaaaaatt?
hardly anyone in turkey wears them
not that many people are that religious in turkey
in fact you probably wouldn't know which women were muslim and which ones weren't!

There was in the hotel I was at!!! I was in didim.
Liberation, as long as you don't CHOOSE to cover up. Yes that makes sense :rolleyes: as far as I'm concerned women have been brainwashed into being sex objects for men. Men won't walk around with their privates in your face but they do like women to do that so it's worked out nicely now that women think that's the way forward ie.you get women to do it willingly.

All the men saying yeah it's great women showing more of their bodies...how quick that changes if it's a big, unattractive woman with tyres, or their mum or sister maybe even their wife if they're possessive :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by doggyfizzel
I think the cut out swim suits are generally nicer than most bikini's but most girls tend to be going for the all over tan, hence the fewer white marks the better.

The whole French thing is just they would like French Muslims rather than Muslims in France. They are just legislating to make it uncomfortable for them to do otherwise. Its not particular nice, but personally I wouldn't move to a country whose values I didn't agree with, so I have little sympathy for those who do.

I understand why people wouldn't want to move to a xenophobic country, and why having little sympathy for those that do is justified. However, I'd assume there is such a thing as a "French Muslim", those that have been born there, and that have a right aswell to interpret what it means to be French.
Reply 43
Original post by Left Hand Drive
There was in the hotel I was at!!! I was in didim.

insane!
it's very atypical
in turkey they tend to count themselves as muslim but drink and not cover their hair anywhos
although the number of people covered from head to toe has grown recently the general population still thinks it's a bit out of the ordinary when they see people dressed like that.
10 years ago you never saw people completely covered... but you did see more headscraves
Original post by silent ninja
Liberation, as long as you don't CHOOSE to cover up. Yes that makes sense :rolleyes: as far as I'm concerned women have been brainwashed into being sex objects for men. Men won't walk around with their privates in your face but they do like women to do that so it's worked out nicely now that women think that's the way forward ie.you get women to do it willingly.

All the men saying yeah it's great women showing more of their bodies...how quick that changes if it's a big, unattractive woman with tyres, or their mum or sister maybe even their wife if they're possessive :rolleyes:

Hit the nail on the head.

Their hypocrisy stinks.
Reply 45
Original post by cats are cool
An unpopular position and I'm not anti-bikini but I do think bikinis are quite revealing. Sure, there's nothing wrong with our bodies but don't you find it strange that you are virtually naked, just bits of fabric covering your nipples and your vagina, in front of lots of people you don't know, have never met and will never speak to? You would never really want to be in that position anywhere else but it's suddenly acceptable if water is close and if everyone else is doing it. I like my body just fine but I always at least wear a one-piece because I don't want people I don't know (and some people I do know) to see me near naked. And I find it funny that a lot of the girls that complain about how other girls are going out with short skirts and their boobs out and look "slutty" and should cover up or leave a little to the imagination are perfectly fine uploading pictures of themselves in bikinis, an outfit which makes it pretty much impossible to leave anything to the imagination at all.

To be fair, it's all just a thin layer above skin & they're all so tight that it leaves nothing to the imagination. I don't think this is any less revealing than a bikini for example

It's also about association. People in the communal changing rooms have their clothes off & it's not a problem. In many parts of the world there are bath complexes where you're completely naked among lots of people. In Japan, where they're historically known for their modesty, people have no problem with nudity. Then again I suppose that's different because it's same sex, but I think there are links here.

As someone else pointed out, it's all about choice at the end of the day. People don't want others to see their underwear because they don't expect them to be able to - it's not on show. With beach wear it's different.

--

I do wonder though, how things will progress. People show much more flesh now than they did in the past. Will it be common in the future for women to walk around topless? Will we wear no clothing at all on the beach? I have a feeling no. If there's one thing I've found with travelling, it's that British people in particular are very self conscious about full on nudity. Swimming shorts, sure, but being naked around others is just seen as weird. I think in the continent this is much less the case though. I think being topless is seen as more acceptable these days, but I don't think we'll see everyone stripping off completely nude for a long time (thankfully imo!)

--

I did do some searching, and to be honest I don't see any issue with Burkinis. Sure they look weird to us, but whatever makes people feel comfortable really.
(edited 11 years ago)
Bikinis are quite revealing but if people want to wear them, that's fine. Recently I plucked up the courage to wear one, but I didn't feel comfortable (I have a large scar across my stomach) so I wear either a nice swimming costume or a tankini. The burqinis do look nice I guess but I'd never wear one because it'd feel too much like a scuba suit or something :tongue:
Original post by minniiee
insane!
it's very atypical
in turkey they tend to count themselves as muslim but drink and not cover their hair anywhos
although the number of people covered from head to toe has grown recently the general population still thinks it's a bit out of the ordinary when they see people dressed like that.
10 years ago you never saw people completely covered... but you did see more headscraves

They could of been from other muslim countries I guess. It was at hotel pool I saw them.
Reply 48
Original post by Left Hand Drive
They could of been from other muslim countries I guess. It was at hotel pool I saw them.

no i know
im just saying its strange and not the norm :smile:
Not against bikini's at all, but its hilarious that if your on a beach/holiday hotel resourt, bikini's are fine, yet if you were having a dream about you wandering around with just underwear on in your local supermarket, you'd freak out.

To summise;

Reply 50
Original post by death.drop
How "damn near nudist" actually are you?
Can you imagine going to work in freezing cold winters with no clothes on? Having to pay to have the heating on the majority of the year to stop you getting cold because you want to be naked? :rolleyes:

I spend quite a bit of time naked at home (when temperatures allow it) and I wouldn't really call it liberating, it's just not wearing any clothes.

If we hadn't invented clothes we would have evolved to deal with cold temperatures better, our natural body temperature would be higher or our tolerances different to compensate and I imagine more body hair.
How do you think we survived before the invention of clothes?

I actually have the window open most of the day throughout the year, I prefer being cold, if I'm in my room I am naked 90% of the time, unless I've got company over because it wierds people out.
I don't personally have a problem playing video games ******* naked and getting drunk with my mates but apparently I'm "wierd", girls find it even more wierd like it's an invite to sexual activity. Which I get, I'm not retarded.

I enjoy being naked, and logically it makes sense.
I always used to wonder why germans have a lot of nudists right, if you every go on holiday to a predominantly german resort you'll see what I mean.
I get it now, you know germany, known for being very efficient and logical about everything. Well thats why, clothes, logically just slow us down, waste our money and they're just another thing to worry about when we could be doing something productive.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Freier._.lance
I understand why people wouldn't want to move to a xenophobic country, and why having little sympathy for those that do is justified. However, I'd assume there is such a thing as a "French Muslim", those that have been born there, and that have a right aswell to interpret what it means to be French.
Don't think its xenophobic, its not they don't like foreigners there are plenty of Algerians and other French of African decent. Its just the fact they like people to be French and to accept French customs. You can interpret what it means to be French all you like, but some interpretations are wrong, if that's not the case then there is no such thing as French. In essence it has to mean something at any one point in time, it can't just be what ever you want. A French Muslim, I would see, as someone who can be identified as both French and a Muslim, which means they have to have elements in common with other French people other than their geographic location.

I doubt this will be seen anymore anyway, not with Hollande.
Reply 52
Well, I like wearing a bikini on holiday, if I'm aiming for a tan, but if I was going properly swimming I wear a swimming costume. I do think it's pretty funny that on the beach or in swimming it's okay, but walk down the street like that... I perfectly fine wth people showing as much or as little as they want. It's their choice!!
Original post by Megaross
If we hadn't invented clothes we would have evolved to deal with cold temperatures better, our natural body temperature would be higher or our tolerances different to compensate and I imagine more body hair.
How do you think we survived before the invention of clothes?

I actually have the window open most of the day throughout the year, I prefer being cold, if I'm in my room I am naked 90% of the time, unless I've got company over because it wierds people out.
I don't personally have a problem playing video games ******* naked and getting drunk with my mates but apparently I'm "wierd", girls find it even more wierd like it's an invite to sexual activity. Which I get, I'm not retarded.

I always used to wonder why germans have a lot of nudists right, if you every go on holiday to a predominantly german resort you'll see what I mean.
I get it now, you know germany, known for being very efficient and logical about everything. Well thats why, clothes, logically just slow us down, waste our money and they're just another thing to worry about when we could be doing something productive.

did you watch this i thought it was quite interesting

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-daughter-the-teenage-nudist/4od
How come Bikinis are OK but Speedos are frowned upon? Its like womens bodys are to be celebrated whilst men are disgusting!
Original post by DrunkenMaster
How come Bikinis are OK but Speedos are frowned upon? Its like womens bodys are to be celebrated whilst men are disgusting!

A sense of some style.
Original post by Megaross

Germans don't wear clothes in a sauna and sometimes don't on a beach. Nothing to do with slowing people down, just because of comfort and in a sauna the belief it is more hygenic to be sat in or wrapped in a towel with nothing on instead of a swimming costume.

Germans when they are clothed on the whole have a much better sense of style and do not commit some of the fashion atrocities that you see in England. THe French and Spanish also seem to know how to dress stylishly.
Who cares? Live and let live.
Also everyone is wearing them on a beach. In a supermarket, NO ONE ELSE is and therefore, you'd not want to be wearing one. If everyone wore underwear on the beach but not in the supermarket (as is true), then it would be the same sort of thing.
It's different from walking around in your bra and underwear because it is appropriate to the surroundings. For example you wouldn't wear your pyjamas to the supermarket because that's not what they're designed for. Not everyone wears a bikini because they want to reveal their body. I don't have the best body, and have a scar across my stomach, but I wear a bikini because it's what feels most comfortable in the water.

Quick Reply