The Student Room Group

bptc

Any current or prospective BPTC students should take a look at the following:

EXCLUSIVE: BPTC Students Point Finger At Bar Standards Board Following ‘Disastrous’ And ‘Unfair’ Exams

http://www.legalcheek.com/2012/04/exclusive-bptc-students-point-finger-at-bar-standards-board-following-disastrous-and-unfair-exams/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When will they learn? I think every year has its fair share of rabble-rousers, who seek to point the finger elsewhere after getting negative exam results. In my year they tried something similar, happily relying on the belief that it would bring their "skills" at litigation and argument to the attention of prospective chambers. It may have done for some, but not in a good way.
Reply 2
If students are being treated unfairly, it is only right and proper that they stand up for themselves.

Many BPTC students all over England and Wales are dissatisfied with the course e.g. more than 400 BPTC students from 8 different providers signed the letter of complaint, according to the info on legal cheek.
Reply 3
I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy. The exams have always been difficult, especially the closed book litigation exams. That students didn't do well on them and now seek to point the finger elsewhere smacks of evasion and a sense of entitlement. Life as an advocate is not fair, whether you're dealing with a prejudiced jury, a judge who's already formed a view of the case without hearing your side, or a local CPS unit who are determined to make you fight every inch of the way through the CPIA. You don't complain about it though, you put your head down and work through it.
Reply 4
Some people like things to be done properly and fairly and others don't!

It is a well known fact that the new BPTC is significantly more difficult than the old BVC.
Original post by Kessler`
I'm sorry, but I have no sympathy. The exams have always been difficult, especially the closed book litigation exams. That students didn't do well on them and now seek to point the finger elsewhere smacks of evasion and a sense of entitlement. Life as an advocate is not fair, whether you're dealing with a prejudiced jury, a judge who's already formed a view of the case without hearing your side, or a local CPS unit who are determined to make you fight every inch of the way through the CPIA. You don't complain about it though, you put your head down and work through it.

Depends on your time line, I think.

They weren't very difficult at all, and were a lot easier than the equivalent exams for solicitors, for the approximately 140 years leading up to the reforms of the early 90s.
Reply 6

They took the exams in April.

I don't know about BPTC providers, but when I took exams in December, we got our results in February and March.

Do you really think they have their results already? Two weeks later.
Reply 7
Original post by Denning2012
Some people like things to be done properly and fairly and others don't!

It is a well known fact that the new BPTC is significantly more difficult than the old BVC.

I sympathise on the one level that the BPTC is very expensive, and it's a lottery ticket as it is. In a sense, if the BSB are just going throw random stuff at people - there might as well not be a course and candidates should just pay for an examinations and self-study regime. The professional qualification and career aspects aside, I think it is extremely poor to require people to pay big money for a course, and then examine them on something other than the general content and under conditions different from that taught.

On the other - it was every thus that people who are secure in their jobs - who qualified under different circumstances find it very easy to sit back and scoff. People today with a string of GCSEs A grades look back on people from the 90s and think they're idiots. People from the 90s look at those just before them with O levels, and think they had it too easy.
Reply 8
Whatever your feelings about the BVC/BPTC, is this really something that you are going to use in your pupillage applications? Just think how that's going to look to a potential pupillage provider, when you start railing against the "unfairness" of the exams as an explanation why you only had a C instead of a VC/O.

I think there's a lot more useful and constructive work that these students could be doing to increase their chances of pupillage.
Reply 9
Original post by nulli tertius
Depends on your time line, I think.

They weren't very difficult at all, and were a lot easier than the equivalent exams for solicitors, for the approximately 140 years leading up to the reforms of the early 90s.

I quite agree NT, although I didn't think the OP would have been contemplating that era. When I prepped for my exams, I looked back over BVC papers for the last 5 years. I should also add that my institution (NLS) provided the model on which the modern BPTC was founded. Our exams, including the vicious civil litigation exam, were very similar to the centralised tests of today.

My perception, and that of most others in my year, were that the exams were difficult because of the range of precise knowledge that you were expected to know. Having said that, you could guarantee that certain areas were going to feature heavily, time limits and various service requirements in civil lit for example. Preparation for the exams involved a fair bit of judgment, including making an educated guess on the topics most likely to feature and studying them in depth. That sort of tactic meant that a student would often miss some of the fringe questions (designed to pick up overall 'general' knowledge) but pick up the main body of marks in the specific areas.

The only ones that I ever thought of as 'unfair' were the Opinion Writing exams. That was simply because different examiners had very different ideas of style and content - it was never enough to write a "generic" advice. Your success largely depended on finding out/making an educated guess as to who would be marking your paper and adapting accordingly. I did think that was horrendously unfair.

Then I had to do the same in employment, and discovered that was exactly how it worked in real-life. I've seen advices from great silks which vary dramatically between their various instructing sols. I've had to vary my own work (which often involves presentation of criminal cases/complex legal research) dramatically depending on the individual who has asked for it. So, on reflection, perhaps it was less "unfair" and more about preparing you for the Bar outside the academic environment!
I quite agree NT, although I didn't think the OP would have been contemplating that era. When I prepped for my exams, I looked back over BVC papers for the last 5 years. I should also add that my institution (NLS) provided the model on which the modern BPTC was founded. Our exams, including the vicious civil litigation exam, were very similar to the centralised tests of today.

I date from the overlap period, when my contemporaries had a choice of how to read for the bar.

They could do the old bar exam with optional tuition at the Inns of Court School of Law or from private coaches or none at all; could call themselves barristers but were not allowed to go into private independent practice in England.

Alternatively, if they wanted conventional practice they had to do the BVC at the one and only provider, the ICSL.

I do have a set of the papers Denning took for his bar exam. I think candidates today would be shocked by the breadth, although not the depth, of the questions asked.

And for those moaning about bunching of exams the Trinity 1923 timetable was:-

Roman Law Thursday 10AM-1PM*
Constitutional Law (English and Colonial) and Legal History Thursday 2PM-5PM*
Criminal Law and Procedure Friday 10-1*
Real Property and Conveyancing Friday 2-5*
(the alternate papers for this paper were on Saturday morning)
Common Law Monday 10-1
Equity Monday 2-5
Law of Evidence and Civil Procedure Tuesday 10-1
General Paper Tuesday 2-5

The papers marked * were a separate section of the exam which could have been taken together in an earlier term.
The current BPTC allows the following outcomes (due to an unfair technical feature of the BPTC) in the knowledge area exams i.e. CIVIL, CRIMINAL & ETHICS:

Student A - can obtain an overall mark of 69% (significantly higher than Student B) and FAIL.

Student B - can obtain an overall mark of 60% (significantly lower than Student A) and PASS.

Not really a very fair test of the students knowledge of the subject matter is it?
Reply 12
Whatever your feelings about the BVC/BPTC, is this really something that you are going to use in your pupillage applications? Just think how that's going to look to a potential pupillage provider, when you start railing against the "unfairness" of the exams as an explanation why you only had a C instead of a VC/O.

I think there's a lot more useful and constructive work that these students could be doing to increase their chances of pupillage.

Where did the idea that it would appear on a pupillage application come into it?

I didn't read that in the piece and I didn't see it posted earlier in the thread.

What I saw was people taking the issue to the creator of the exam and complaining to them.

You seem to have an opinion, that these students shouldn't be complaining, and are willing to drag in any argument you can think of, regardless of how well that sits with the reality of the situation.

They are complaining because they got bad results...except the results are not out yet, and doubtful any of them have had the results.

Makes no sense to complain on a pupillage application....yet no one has suggested that they are, or will.

Stick to the facts and make a sound argument based on that.

Should students that find mistakes in the setting of their exams make valid complaints to those setting the exams?

That is the question.

What is your answer to that? Without going beyond the context which is placed before us. Without relying on facts not in evidence, without making complaints that go against the facts that exist.

Should students be able to complain about the examinations in professional level exams that come at the end of a course that costs £16k in London, if those complaints are valid?
Reply 13
Original post by Bingham2012
The current BPTC allows the following outcomes (due to an unfair technical feature of the BPTC) in the knowledge area exams i.e. CIVIL, CRIMINAL & ETHICS:

Student A - can obtain an overall mark of 69% (significantly higher than Student B) and FAIL.

Student B - can obtain an overall mark of 60% (significantly lower than Student A) and PASS.

Not really a very fair test of the students knowledge of the subject matter is it?

And that doesn't seem a very accurate way of presenting the situation. Do you mean that a student can score very highly in most of their modules yet fail one? In that case, yes, the student who can get 60% overall without failing one module will pass ahead of someone who fails one module. You are required to pass every module - I don't see anything unfair in that. Perhaps you could explain the "unfair technical feature" a little more?

NT, I would have loved to have done Roman Law. What a subject! Do you think they were required to memorise the speeches of Cicero?
Reply 14
Original post by nulli tertius
I date from the overlap period, when my contemporaries had a choice of how to read for the bar.

They could do the old bar exam with optional tuition at the Inns of Court School of Law or from private coaches or none at all; could call themselves barristers but were not allowed to go into private independent practice in England.

Alternatively, if they wanted conventional practice they had to do the BVC at the one and only provider, the ICSL.

I do have a set of the papers Denning took for his bar exam. I think candidates today would be shocked by the breadth, although not the depth, of the questions asked.

And for those moaning about bunching of exams the Trinity 1923 timetable was:-

Roman Law Thursday 10AM-1PM*
Constitutional Law (English and Colonial) and Legal History Thursday 2PM-5PM*
Criminal Law and Procedure Friday 10-1*
Real Property and Conveyancing Friday 2-5*
(the alternate papers for this paper were on Saturday morning)
Common Law Monday 10-1
Equity Monday 2-5
Law of Evidence and Civil Procedure Tuesday 10-1
General Paper Tuesday 2-5

The papers marked * were a separate section of the exam which could have been taken together in an earlier term.

What level of content was required for those exams? Could be more could be less, I don't know, I am asking because just having a tightly bunched timetable doesn't really tell the whole story.

My big complaint with Law at Uni was that it was more akin to a memory test then any real knowledge or understanding of Law. In my University there were no casebooks, no statute books allowed in the Exam room. So everything had to be memorised before you got into the class room.

Bunching is fine, when you don't need to memorise things, because you have spent the previous 3-6 months learning the principles, which you may cram again before the exam.

I still remember the basic principles of Tort and Contract now, and I did those in my first year at University. Applying those to a problem, even now 3 years later, would still be doable by me, as long as I didn't have to remember all the cases involved, and could refer to a book to find them.
Reply 15
Original post by Konran

Do you remember the 'movement' from last year called 'Occupy the Inns'? I see this as having a similar attitude. If, in the long run, I'm wrong, then I will accept that. Something tells me that, despite these complaints (putting aside whether they are justified or not), the system is unlikely to change and these students would be better to put their energy into something that will benefit their pupillage applications.

On a side note, I wonder which Law Lord will be the next to appear? Philips2012?
Reply 16
Do you remember the 'movement' from last year called 'Occupy the Inns'? I see this as having a similar attitude. If, in the long run, I'm wrong, then I will accept that. Something tells me that, despite these complaints (putting aside whether they are justified or not), the system is unlikely to change and these students would be better to put their energy into something that will benefit their pupillage applications.

On a side note, I wonder which Law Lord will be the next to appear? Philips2012?

Atkins2012?

Perhaps you are right, but I can imagine their frustration, if as they claim they have a justified complaint, that after paying so much and working so hard, they are to be scuppered by a poorly set examination.
Original post by Konran
What level of content was required for those exams? Could be more could be less, I don't know, I am asking because just having a tightly bunched timetable doesn't really tell the whole story.

No real depth (generally two sections of 5 short answer questions from a choice of 8 in three hours, each section to be passed) but enormous breadth.

Take section 1 of the common law paper:-

1What is meant by "Consideration"? For what purposes, if any, will the adequacy of the consideration for a contract be inquired into?

2 In what cases, if any, can a person sue or be sued upon a contract in writing made between two other persons?

3 In what cases is interest recoverable, either as of right or by way or damages, in an action on a contract?

4 What are the possible defences, apart from a denial of the promise, to an action for breach of promise of marriage?

5 Explain the difference between illegal contracts and those which are merely void. State shortly what express or implied contracts arising out of gaming transactions are enforceable by action.

6 Draft an ordinary form of a Bill of Exchange and state shortly what are the essential characteristics of a valid bill

7 Classify the difference representations which may be made during a contract of sale of goods, and discuss their legal effect.

8 When in pursuance of a contract of sale of goods the seller is authorised to send the goods to the buyer by railway, what is the effect of delivery of goods by the seller to the carrier, and on whom will loss fall if the goods are lost or damaged in course of transit?

Section 2

9 What is a Bill of Lading and the effect of its transfer to a third party? Is it correct to say that it is a negotiable instrument?

10 Explain the meaning of the terms "freight", "dead freight", "demurrage", "general average"

11 Explain shortly the terms (a) "Act of God" (b) "Act of State", and (c) "inevitable accident"

12 Discuss the rights and remedies of a co-owner of land or chattels against another co-owner who interferes with his enjoyment of the common property.

13 In what circumstances can an action (a) for wrongful conversion (b) for wrongful detention of goods, be brought, and what is the remedy sought in each action?

Twenty years ago B wrongfully obtained possession of a ring belonging to A and ten years ago, he sold it to C in whose possession it now is. Advise A whether he has any remedy against B or C

14 D planted on his own land a tree the leaves of which were unknown to him poisonous to cattle. Discuss his liability t his neighbour E three of whose cattle died in consequence of eating the leaves of the tree in the following circumstances

(i) A cow (x) broke through a gap in the fence, entered on D's land and ate some of the leaves of the tree.

(ii) A cow (y) ate some leaves on the branches of the tree which had grown so that they extended over E's land.

(iii) A cow (z) reached over the low fence dividing D's land from E's land and ate off the tree

15 Under what circumstances is (a) a police constable and (b) a private person, justified in arresting another person

16 In what actions in tort is it necessary for a plaintiff to prove (a) that he sustained actual damage (b) that the defendant was actuated by malice

Of this paper, I think, but others may show I am wrong, that only question 4 and the second half of 5 has been ruined by changes in the law, although the answer to question 12 will now be radically different (and equitable) for land and there will be minor changes to the answers to other questions
(edited 11 years ago)
Having had a read over the complaint letter, I actually think that the preliminary point is stronger than the 'more important' points referred to later on. Making a fundamental change to the mechanism of an exam quite literally minutes before the exam starts, especially when that change is contrary to mock papers that have been issued, cannot be fair. Of course it depends on what these questions are and how accessible they are to 'common sense', but on the whole I have sympathy with the students on that point.

I have much less sympathy on other points, though. The Civil paper point on the typographical errror holds no weight at all in my eyes. It's an obvious error and everyone taking that exam should have compensated accordingly. The default judgment point is equally poor, and essentially comes down to students complaining because they didn't know the subject well enough. I haven't seen the syllabus so don't know to what extent 'summaries of evidence' or the relevant parts of the CPR are dealt with, so can't really comment on that.

The point made about the criminal exam is even worse. Unfortunately the students don't seem to grasp that testing more obscure knowledge is a perfectly acceptable way of distinguishing between different levels of candidates. It sounds very much like bitterness because the students involved didn't have the required level of knowledge to answer the questions. In which case they quite simply should have done more to prepare. On a side note, if I was a student taking that exam with an ambition to go into criminal law, I would be hesitant indeed at putting my name to a letter that complained about a 'minor' distinction between s.76 and s.78 of PACE, which is one of the most important statutory provisions relating to criminal evidence generally.

I can't comment on the Professional Ethics point, given that I haven't seen the papers involved.

So overall, whilst certainly the students have made one solid point, I feel that the rest of the letter largely falls prey to the same attitude that Kessler has referred to in his posts. Especially because the summary of points made at the end only touches upon their strongest point, and chooses to focus on points that are considerably weaker.

On a side note, I had to smile at how obvious it was that that letter was written by law students. From throwing in pleading style touches ("the Exams"), to overusing unnecessarily flowery language (such as the word 'abstruse'), it contained all the hallmarks of a classic law student letter.
Reply 19

Bourne-Arton2018, judging by the speed Sumption got in there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending