Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What could the Conservative party do to ensure your vote at the next election?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A shift towards taxation of wealth/land rather than income, and being less authoritarian regarding alcohol, tobacco, the internet and if possible drugs. And generally continuing the modernisation they have gone through in recent years.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I am a socially liberal Tory so already vote for them but here are several things that they could do to get landslides...

1) Make Boris leader, failing that Gove or Osbourne.
    2) Do not give into the rabid lunatics on the backbenchers, we need to remain relatively liberal
    3) Move significantly further right on the economy, massive tax changes and cuts ect...
    Generally this, though I find Gove intolerable, even though I think he generally has a point on education reform.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    I really wish people would stop saying that. Throwing money at the NHS will not make it better, it needs to be rebuilt from the foundations upwards for it to work.
    Good point, but without money, how on earth can we expect these good foundations to remain in place?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamperouge)
    Good point, but without money, how on earth can we expect these good foundations to remain in place?
    Good foundations? you must be joking.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Good foundations? you must be joking.
    Apologies, I wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to what we have now - as I've said before, the system we have is an absolute shambles. I was referring to the system that we could potentially have.

In any case, my question still stands.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    Moron. I voted Tory in the last election because I believed they'd do the best for our nation.

24 months later, the economy is still in tatters, the beginning of the end has begun for the NHS and Labour is starting to become popular again...cannot believe how wrong I got it.
    Is there a particular reason behind slurring me? Thought not. It amazes me how people cry out for 'equality' and a 'fairer society' but don't think twice before insulting the beliefs of someone they don't agree with.

Give me one reason to vote Labour.

So they can continue their genocidal immigration policy?
    So they can continue to bankrupt the country with ridiculous spending?

There is no 'quick-fix' for the economy, so I don't believe you can blame the incumbent government. You're the sort of clueless voter who votes for Labour, despite them never actually helping their one demographic.

Beginning of the end? Ha. Please don't talk rubbish. If the NHS continues in its current form, they'll be bankrupted by diabetes alone. Why don't you blame the people who overindulge, therefore developing diseases that really shouldn't afflict us? Oh, sorry, that's not PC.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamperouge)
    Apologies, I wasn't clear. I referring to what we have now - as I've said before, the system we have is an absolute shambles.

In any case, my question still stands.
    What we have now is crap. There is no foundation, it has been ****ed by years of mismanagement and needs to be rebuilt. Your first reply was basically saying it is fine and needs more money, it is not fine at all.

Your question about money? it does not need as much money as it is getting right now if it was ran correctly.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Become a social democratic party with progressive values as well as suspending every one of their MPs (apart from David Davis), starting with Nadine Dorries.

Because eternal devotion to a single party is a great idea!
    The Conservative Party are the only group that represent my views (other than UKIP, but they'll never get in).
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by detinus)
    For me the Tories need to improve drastically.

I want to see us pull out of the ECHR and the EU, I want reduced taxes for all, less wasted public spending and FAIRER welfare policies.

I think we've lost a lot of soverignity due to the European bull ****, and I'm sick of paying for services I don't use and for people to receive benefits who don't deserve them. I'm also sick of people who deserve benefits not getting them.
    You sound like a UKIP voter...

<3 x
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Formerly Helpful_C)
    Is there a particular reason behind slurring me? Thought not. It amazes me how people cry out for 'equality' and a 'fairer society' but don't think twice before insulting the beliefs of someone they don't agree with.

There is no 'quick-fix' for the economy, so I don't believe you can blame the incumbent government. You're the sort of clueless voter who votes for Labour, despite them never actually helping their one demographic.

Beginning of the end? Ha. Please don't talk rubbish. If the NHS continues in its current form, they'll be bankrupted by diabetes alone. Why don't you blame the people who overindulge, therefore developing diseases that really shouldn't afflict us? Oh, sorry, that's not PC.
    Lets not forget selling assets like gold at the bottom of the market. :rolleyes:

<3 x
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by detinus)
    Both of these statements show that you go about voting the stupid way - partisan alignment.

Wouldn't it be better to vote based on a party's policies rather than just voting for them because of who they are?
    I do vote based on their policies.

The simple fact of the matter is that the Conservative Party are the only solution.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)

I disagree with all of the above

Conservative principles are right wing

IMO, they are selfish

IMO, they focus on keeping the wealth with those who already have it

IMO, they are limited in their understanding of the problems facing many people in the country

IMO, they are limited by their narrow experience base

I would not vote Conservatives for the above reasons

If they changed enough to get my vote ... they would no longer be Conservatives
    Exactly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really wish people would stop saying that. Throwing money at the NHS will not make it better, it needs to be rebuilt from the foundations upwards for it to work.
    But to get "good foundations" and to improve it, you need money. You can't improve without money going in.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Come up with policies that improve the standard of living for the majority of people.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foodnom)
    how exactly?
    1) Creates a disincentive to work hard
    2) Punishes success
    3) People will avoid/evade (I can't blame them) and the Treasury loses capital
    4) Creates an anti-rich culture that evidently pervades your mind-set.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    i) EU referendum - this will be held BEFORE the next election. Once you've broken a promise, you won't be trusted on any more promises so this is vital.

ii) Abolish the doctrine of human rights with its supporting legalisation and re-assert control over immigration

iii) Reduce tax avoidance and tax evasion

iv) More nationalism, I expect UK companies to have preference for UK government contracts.

v) Shift government employment from non-productive areas (five a day coordinators etc) into defence etc spending.

vi) Independent foreign policy. One of the main turn offs with the conservative party is that they act like we should be an American vassal and promagulate American ideas. I want the UK to be a British soverign state and for it to stand by British ideas, not American ones. Little ass sniffers like Liam fox and William Hague should just **** off. Britain to be great, not the 51st state!
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryPotterFanx)
    But to get "good foundations" and to improve it, you need money. You can't improve without money going in.
    Obviously but people don't bother to think about rebuilding the foundations and just say throw money at it without a plan... that is not how it works at all and in fact the NHS could function perfectly well without the amount of money that is thrown at it now if the foundations were solid.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What we have now is crap. There is no foundation, it has been ****ed by years of mismanagement and needs to be rebuilt. Your first reply was basically saying it is fine and needs more money, it is not fine at all.

Your question about money? it does not need as much money as it is getting right now if it was ran correctly.
    You make a perfectly good point yet again, but...in order to gain a sense of management, what should we do? Just throw volunteers down their way? That might work, but we won't get the ball rolling on reform unless we put more money into the NHS. The NHS receives an absolute pittance compared to other national institutions. Get money in its vein, then go kick those managers up the backside and make them do their jobs. Management isn't free, you know.

And surely if I'm saying that something needs more money, I'm actually saying that there's something wrong with the system? As I said, the health care system here in the U.K. is a disgrace. I'm sure we can both agree there.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

at no point did I suggest you vote Labour and if you read my post, you'll discover I voted Tory; I'm just saying blindly voting for the Tories is moronic.

Explain to me how the new health bill will save the NHS?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Conservative Party are the only group that represent my views (other than UKIP, but they'll never get in).
    Surely the choices parties make, individuals involved, the MP you're voting for and contemporary events need to be taken into account as well as just ideology?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 14, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.