Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

M86 - Motion on the FA Cup final and its timing

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    M86 - Motion on the FA Cup final and its timing, barnetladThis House notes the kick off time of the FA Cup final at 515pm, does not agree with the decision of the Football Association and would prefer a 3pm kick off in future. It is concerned at the precedent of agreeing with Sir Alex Ferguson.

This House thinks that if kick off time is not 3pm at any time in future then it should be 3pm local time of the owner of the largest supported club (by sales in the souvenir shop) [so for a Liverpool-Chelsea game would probably be 3pm Moscow time], that all spectators should be given free prawn sandwiches, and that in the event of a draw after extra time the winner should be decided by a premium rate phone in vote or alternatively a football version of the Duckworth-Lewis Method.
    • 36 followers

Pretty meh joke motion, but out of interest - is this house allowed at all to make decisions like this? Wouldn't these kind of issues fall under the jurisdiction of the FA alone?
    • 62 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Pretty meh joke motion, but out of interest - is this house allowed at all to make decisions like this? Wouldn't these kind of issues fall under the jurisdiction of the FA alone?
    im 99% sure it's the FA that decides yeah.

it's also an incredibly lame attempt at a joke motion so is an easy no from me.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely say aye if it included that it had to be at the end of the season apart from any other games!
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand football so a no from me, but good to see the MRLP getting involved.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    TBH I cannot stand domestic football.

A knock on effect with the moving of match times is Transport, logistics have to be moved around.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Government doesn't even have the power to decide this and as with previous motions it is not funny.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    I'd definitely say aye if it included that it had to be at the end of the season apart from any other games!
    Same. If it included taking the semis away from Wembley too then i'd definately be in.

But as its a lame-ish joke motion compared to the coin of the realm thing, gonna have to be a no.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    In the future They should play it at 3am. Just for the hell of it.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)
    Same. If it included taking the semis away from Wembley too then i'd definately be in.

But as its a lame-ish joke motion compared to the coin of the realm thing, gonna have to be a no.
    It's actually such a shame. The FA cup final used to be set apart from the Premiership, at the end of the season, playing for the most important trophy in England, like how the Scottish cup is now. Having it at 5.15 on a Saturday on a day and weekend where other Premiership games are playing somewhat devalues from the occasion.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    It's actually such a shame. The FA cup final used to be set apart from the Premiership, at the end of the season, playing for the most important trophy in England, like how the Scottish cup is now. Having it at 5.15 on a Saturday on a day and weekend where other Premiership games are playing somewhat devalues from the occasion.
    yup. For me having the semis at wembley takes a bit more away Its not special anymore, they've already played there. Reaching wembley isn't an achievement anymore. All the other countries still have the cup final as the last game mostly, just us again, with the FA looking to make as much money as possible from the premier league :/
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't be advising the FA, FIFA might ban us for it :P
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I can't stand football so a no from me, but good to see the MRLP getting involved.
    I also agree with you Toronto so I'm going to abstain.

(For those who believe this isn't a government matter, I think it is as we do have a Culture, Media & Sport Department as well as a Culture Secretary I believe?)
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)

(For those who believe this isn't a government matter, I think it is as we do have a Culture, Media & Sport Department as well as a Culture Secretary I believe?)
    even so, I believe it's up to the FA alone, as its not a government organised thing.
    • 36 followers

(Original post by RoryS)

Yeah, but it's generally the FA who make all the decisions regarding things like this (that relate directly to sporting matters). I'm not sure how much of a hand the government has (traditionally and legally) in matters such as this (trying to look it up, but not really getting anything so far...).

EDIT: Actually, scrap that - I found the perfect document: The Premier League's Response to the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee. I skimmed through all of it - paid attention to Q1, as I thought it might be relevant - but mainly skipped ahead to Q5, which is most relevant in the above issue. From what I understand, the Premier League accepts that government intervention would be acceptable when there is:

- 'negative impacts on others' (5.1)
    - 'the failure of the market to deliver desirable public outcomes' (5.1)
    - 'need (of) public money to sustain high standards at the elite level or where public sector action is required to achieve higher levels of participation in sport at the grassroots level' (5.4)
    - the issue of 'stadium safety and security' (5.5)

So there are cases where the government can step in. I'm not saying for a moment that this changes my attitude towards this motion (:p:) but it is an interesting find for me. :beard:
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for that Abiraleft
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous motion! Abstain
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    A no from me.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, not a chuckle, I'm afraid.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation.
Updated: May 22, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.