The Student Room Group

Are exams just a test of memory?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ITGIRL
This is an absolute joke right? :laugh: BTEC students are in no shape or form as intelligent as A level students. Instead of trying to denouce A levels for the biggest mistake in your life, you should congratulate us for the best decison of our lifes.

Any idiot can do a BTEC, AND get high marks.

Please come to the real world and see what you are doing is for..... :P you can fill the blanks...

how disgustingly snobby. And I'm an A grade A-Level student, before you attempt to reply in a condescending manner, as I'm so very sure you will. Get your head out of your arse :thumbsup:
Many exams are a test of memory, motivation, and writing speed. Unfortunately few focus on intelligence and understanding, in my opinion, :frown: .
Reply 22
Original post by hassi94
I think you've partly answered this yourself. You not being good at exams has little to do with 'natural memory' and a lot more to do with you not trying.

Exams, at least most exams, don't just test plain old knowledge. Never is an exam made up of 'write everything you can remember about this'. It's to do with thinking logically and analytically about the knowledge you do have and then applying that to answering questions.

Unfortunately the exam I have coming up at is simply just what you said in bold, there are some exams like this at university. A level exams are ones that do tend to agree with what you said though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by ITGIRL
This is an absolute joke right? :laugh: BTEC students are in no shape or form as intelligent as A level students. Instead of trying to denouce A levels for the biggest mistake in your life, you should congratulate us for the best decison of our lifes.

Please come to the real world and see what you are doing is for..... :P you can fill the blanks...

Are you really questioning whether I'm joking or not? I'm certain that there are people in my class who are by far smarter than you. If not at least they're not bitter people who think they are better than another person because of the route that decide to take towards their goals in life.

Why not fill in the blanks for us?
Reply 24
Also when I was at primary school I had a spelling test which I revised for to the point I was getting 10/10 on the way to school in the car with my Mum.

I got 1/10 and burst into tears when my Mum confidently asked how I did.

This could well play a part in my view on exams! haha

The thought of that day still saddens me...
Reply 25
Original post by ITGIRL

And what is the biggest mistake in my life?
Reply 26
well i personally think that exams that the schools set are mainly about memory. As do i think that the schools need to change the exam structure.
Do you agree? or Disagree?
I am doing a formal writing piece in english on
It's not really a case of motivation - those with poor memories can be motivated and remembering for an exam puts extra pressure on those with poor memories: You have to consider that those with poor memories are neglected by the systematic process of memory tests and often left enraged and exhausted by the qualification process. People have varying degrees of ability and it shouldn't always be those with superior memories that get to go on to greater things. A lot of Intelligence is left behind because of these memory clinics that you call classrooms.
Original post by pizzle223
This is a topic which i have often thought about.

Are exams a test of nothing more than memory?

To me it seems that exams based on a subject which needs revising shows only how skilled you are in remembering things.

I'm currently studying a National Diploma in Engineering, with no exams, only c/w.

And I think this is brilliant. I have shown in my work that have the have understood every I need to and I have the work to look back on for when I need to. It is written in a way that I understand and I don't need to remember all of it.

If I were to have exams I'm certain my grades would be poor, although without I've achieve 100% in all areas.

Now this could be down to me having a bad memory or not being exceptionally good at revising (or wanting to revise)

But does anyone agree? or disagree?

YEAH they're a test of memory

ONLY THE TOP GRADES ARE FOR TRULY BRIGHT STUDENTS
Most of us are never going to get those grades though, so just brush up on your memory
Reply 29
Original post by nmudz_009
YEAH they're a test of memory

ONLY THE TOP GRADES ARE FOR TRULY BRIGHT STUDENTS
Most of us are never going to get those grades though, so just brush up on your memory

do you think maths a level is about memory?
Original post by Hazletts
But ergo has been assimilated into the English language :confused:

Many Latin components have been adopted by the English Language, although they have simple, more frequent counterparts, in this case - "Therefore"
I feel exams should be based on applied knowledge and each person should be individually marked based on the intelligence shown by their work, rather than how what they wrote compares to a mark scheme. I also believe the time limit shouldn't exist and when a student finishes, within the time they need, they can leave. This will also filter out the more undesirable people who will suffer the necessary consequences for leaving. Exams are just a test of memory, you needn't understand a thing if you can memorise words in the correct order.
I would argue that exams are both test of memory and understanding. If you have a basic grasp of a subject then its easier to synthesise new thoughts and provide a good argument.
Yeah u can get an A in most exams if u just memorize the textbook. No understanding required.
Original post by ITGIRL

that's so cruel.. just because someone isn't as talented in one area doesn't neglect the fact that they could have incredible potential in another. In most cases BTEC students are kinaesthetic learners (meaning they learn by doing as a pose to pure memorisation) the world doesn't make sense to them unless they can see it with their own eyes, it's a way of learning that comes naturally to us humans and served us a bunch in the past. In fact these BTEC students can be inclined towards pursuing sports, and quite talented in doing so. Just because the majority sway one way doesn't mean the minority are incapable, they are solely more engaged in pursuing a different path - if anything it makes them more unique :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending