Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hangman program BBC basic

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A program made in BBC Basic for a hangman program that has three lives and lets the user input words at the end of the program
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Edit: I may have been a bit hasty. See posts below
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting, I'll see if I can make one in c++

(Original post by alex-hs)
    Brilliant. What do you want, a medal?
    What's with the attitude?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    What's with the attitude?
    Probably just wondering why on earth the OP would just dump a load of random code in this forum - and by the look of it, code that was written about 30 years ago
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    Probably just wondering why on earth the OP would just dump a load of random code in this forum - and by the look of it, code that was written about 30 years ago
    Pretty much this.

User's first post; no accompanying text... smells like some weird spambot to me.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would like to just clear this up, made this program and wanted my friend to see it and he asked me to put it on this site. Sorry for any inconvenience
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, how did you test that? Some BBC Micro emulator or somethin'?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogkush)
    Would like to just clear this up, made this program and wanted my friend to see it and he asked me to put it on this site. Sorry for any inconvenience
    It might have been good to put a comment with the code in your first post.

There are also [ CODE ] and [ /CODE ] tags that can be used around the code which can help formatting.

And wow, It's been a while since I've seen BBC Basic. Brilliant machines in the day, And still amongst the fastest booting machines around. I still have a BBC master around. I'm not sure how many of the game disks I've collected still work though.

As for the code. There are probably a few things you could do to improve it. Maybe read the words from a disk file - that way it would be easy to add words. Things like the getting word lengths could be done in a for loop. Or just get the length for the chosen word. You might also be able to make use of subroutines for some of the tasks as well instead of all the goto's.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The version is used is here: http://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/bbcwin/download.html
    Its my first real program in BBC Basic so its still not as efficient as I would like, I'm still working on it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogkush)
    Ah, ok, apologies for being so blunt then. Though saying something to that effect in the original post would probably have been helpful

I'd recommend pastebin.com if you just want to share code.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex-hs)
    Ah, ok, apologies for being so blunt then. Though saying something to that effect in the original post would probably have been helpful

I'd recommend pastebin.com if you just want to share code.
    No offence taken, will probably use Pastebin next time, some of the feedback on here has been helpful though so its not all bad
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    It might have been good to put a comment with the code in your first post.

There are also [ CODE ] and [ /CODE ] tags that can be used around the code which can help formatting.

And wow, It's been a while since I've seen BBC Basic. Brilliant machines in the day, And still amongst the fastest booting machines around. I still have a BBC master around. I'm not sure how many of the game disks I've collected still work though.

As for the code. There are probably a few things you could do to improve it. Maybe read the words from a disk file - that way it would be easy to add words. Things like the getting word lengths could be done in a for loop. Or just get the length for the chosen word. You might also be able to make use of subroutines for some of the tasks as well instead of all the goto's.
    This is very helpful advice, Thanks!
    I'll try and incorporate this

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 7, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.