Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much money should you give to your parents as boarding money ?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and study at a local university, The best uni for my course was with in 18 miles so it didn't make much sense to stay there to be honest seeing as the one I live in is much bigger i also have a part time job here. Anyway sio as I live at home I was thinking I don;t really give any money for food, rent or whatever, my parents do own the house though. I was just thinking is that wrong, should I give something. I feel lilke I should give an amount weekly and take some responsibility. My parents have never asked anything so its just my personal view.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've heard people say 1/3 saving, 1/3 for parents and 1/3 for spending.

I personally do think you should give them something. After all, you are costing them money.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suppose if they own their house (and have paid off the mortgage) you're not really costing them rent, but maybe you could offer to (possibly do and) pay for the weekly shop/some shopping sometimes or contribute to electricity bills and such? I think most parents want to help their children out as much as they can but that doesn't mean they wouldn't really appreciate it if you offered to contribute! It shows you value their help as much as anything else.

I guess asking them what you could help out with would be the most obvious thing to do.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    I've heard people say 1/3 saving, 1/3 for parents and 1/3 for spending.

I personally do think you should give them something. After all, you are costing them money.
    You've costed them money since you were born, they're the ones who decided to have you for their own selfish reasons

I don't think you owe your parents anything but a good looking after when they're no longer able to look after themselves. They should push you to move out, and you should aim to move out too, but monetarily they're going to be giving you the money back anyway in their will so it doesn't make sense for you to be giving them any money unless they are in need of it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nothing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    problem is how much do i give. I have started helping out in the house, cleaning and stuff, not much but an improvement. I think I am going to start buying food or something

Yes my parents are very comfortable, money is not an issue, i just wanted to give money to show I am taking responsibility
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends, personally my parents would feel insulted if I asked to pay them rent, as we're a very close family. However, if you feel like your parents need it (it is a recession, after all) then it might make it easier. However, you are saving them money by not staying at university halls, so its not as though you haven't helped them already.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jetsy)
    problem is how much do i give. I have started helping out in the house, cleaning and stuff, not much but an improvement. I think I am going to start buying food or something

Yes my parents are very comfortable, money is not an issue, i just wanted to give money to show I am taking responsibility
    Are you financially independent? If not, then anything you do monetarily is a bit of a farce. It's good to help out though.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jetsy)

I could understand if you were in full time work.

But students don't owe a penny to their parents. Especially when they don't need it and you do.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    As your parents are quite well off, paid off their house, I don't think you really need to pay rent. What you could do instead is maybe buy them wine, make dinner sometimes, clean up around the house; just let them know you appreciate their help. If you can afford to give them something, I'm guessing you don't get as much of a loan, then you could pay towards bills.

When my sister moved back from university my parents would of liked her to just help out a little around the house, pay for wine (as she drank a lot of it) and do small things as she initially didn't have a job. Now she has been working for over a year she pays £200 a month towards bills and rent which is needed in our house to help with bills and supporting my brothers at university.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes I am financially independent totally, I'm just not independent in the way that my mum still does things for me . I think i'll just become more independent ' that' way. Funny thing is that my dad said I can move out if we want as we own another three houses dotted around the city, one is empty, i might move out there, but there again not pay anything haha
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jetsy)
    yes I am financially independent totally, I'm just not independent in the way that my mum still does things for me . I think i'll just become more independent ' that' way. Funny thing is that my dad said I can move out if we want as we own another three houses dotted around the city, one is empty, i might move out there, but there again not pay anything haha
    You have a choice then, to be independent or keep various degrees of help from your parents. You are going to have to move out eventually (though perhaps they'd gift you one of the houses), so perhaps the real question is, why haven't you moved out yet? Not that I'm saying you should have done so, but is there anything holding you back?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. My parents say they don't save any money when I am at uni. If they are making meal for 4 then making it for 5 doesn't cost much more at all. You shouldn't pay rent because its not costing them money, it isnt as if they would rent your room out if you werent there.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just ask them :p: I asked my mum and she doesn't want anything for when I'm back in the holidays, even though the bills go up a lot when me and my brother are home (from one person to three is a lot, we are on a water meter, and around the house a lot more so more electricity, and obviously 3X as much food). I'm glad I asked though.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    if youre parents arent asking for money or complaining why ruin a good thing youve got going?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    if youre parents arent asking for money or complaining why ruin a good thing youve got going?
    Thats true, anyway Thanks for all the replies, I just logeed on now and a lot of people have replied thans for all your input and I'll take it all on board. It was just a thought really, I'm off to buy those new pair of trainers I liked lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jetsy)
    Thats true, anyway Thanks for all the replies, I just logeed on now and a lot of people have replied thans for all your input and I'll take it all on board. It was just a thought really, I'm off to buy those new pair of trainers I liked lol

just pay for your own stuff, i.e phone contract, memberships, car expenses etc etc.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with 1/3 of whatever income you have be it loan or otherwise. Odds are it will still be cheaper than living just about anywhere else, and even if they're not insisting on it they'll appreciate the gesture.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I pay about £140 a month, usually buy my own food (dinners and snacky foods) pay my own phone bill, pay £10 a month for my sky box and help them out with electricty and gas bills when they ask (which isn't often)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 7, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.