Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chances of getting onto a PGCE Secondary English

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I want to be a secondary school English teacher and I understand I need to get a PGCE in Secondary English. However, the degree I wish to pursue is UEA's Amerian & English Literature. Would this count as the 50% English degree? It is classed as part of the American Studies school so I am worried I won't be able to pursue a PGCE after........ HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK, the English Literature of your degree would count, but you could always check with some unis offering PGCEs if you are worried.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You will also need relevant classroom experience and experience of working with the age range you want to teach.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a Secondary English PGCE and one of my colleagues on the course has that exact degree combination.

It'd be fine, as long as you get some school experience before applying.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDWhite1995)
    Hi,

I want to be a secondary school English teacher and I understand I need to get a PGCE in Secondary English. However, the degree I wish to pursue is UEA's Amerian & English Literature. Would this count as the 50% English degree? It is classed as part of the American Studies school so I am worried I won't be able to pursue a PGCE after........ HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi!

Relax. I went to UEA and studied History of Art and English! I'm now returning to UEA to start the PGCE Secondary English course this September. Just make sure you select modules when you have the choice that would compliment the national curriculum. Any questions and I'll be happy to help

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 14, 2012
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.