The Student Room Group

How come most of the best modern-day bands went to good universities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lukas1051

Musicians come from a wide range of backgrounds, I'm pretty sure there's absolutely no correlation.

This. I think it is just more common for people to go to university nowadays so more artists have university degrees.
Reply 21
Dr dre :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Well its so competitive to get into the music industry these days that the record labels probably expect you to have at least a 2:1 from a top 20/30 university plus 320+ UCAS points before they will listen to your demos.

mmm. A lot of bands used to start at art schools... Which are now rolled up into the local uni.
Reply 23
The thing is, many of them are just normal people who went to university, got a band going and were lucky enough to get signed, so didn't take the degree further after graduation/pulled out altogether. I mean, the first example that comes to mind is Kele from Bloc Party, King's like to brag about him being in their alumni.
Reply 24
better contacts for better contracts
Reply 25
Maybe there is a link why music today is full of crap and insincere. Modern folk musicans have nothing worth singing about so they just sing in retarded voices instead. Modern rap artists have no idea where the soul of rap music comes from but are more than willing to don the chartectistics. Rock and roll is dead because its working class music. The only sincere music today is pop, due to the deinfition of what pop music is. Music has simply lost its meaning.
Reply 26
Chris Bowes from Alestorm has a degree in maths from Bristol.
Chris Naughton from Winterfylleth studied Biotechnology at Birmingham.

To name two people I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, a number of the original Pink Floyd line-up were studying architecture?
Original post by Manitude
Chris Bowes from Alestorm has a degree in maths from Bristol.
Chris Naughton from Winterfylleth studied Biotechnology at Birmingham.

To name two people I can think of off the top of my head.

Also, a number of the original Pink Floyd line-up were studying architecture?

I wonder what inspirational house designs they'd have come up with on acid.
Reply 28
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that many of the best lyricists are English Literature graduates. The reason for that is fairly obvious.

It takes intelligence to write good music, and although there are plenty of intelligent people who don't go to university, many do. University also offers a pretty good environment to meet a lot of people with similar interests to you and so you're quite likely to meet potentially good band members there. Some of my favourite bands all met at the same uni, like Los Campesinos (Cardiff) and alt-J (Leeds).

edit: Didn't notice this thread was old, my bad.
(edited 11 years ago)
only on TSR would anybody bother linking bands to top universities..
Reply 30
I wonder if it's those who have miserably failed that then turn to X Factor... Which only makes them fail even more. Some serious lack of intelligence going on there :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 31
I think matt bellamy from muse went to Exeter university, maybe the others did...not sure
What band is the "best" band is subjective, do you mean "best" as in good music? Or do you mean "best" as in the most successful band?
Original post by Dominic101
I'm related to peter Gabriel :smile: never met the man though

I've met him. Unfortunately when I was about 5 and he was just another person at the wedding which had pissed me off because I had to wear a dress!
This isn't even remotely true. There are some musicians who have graduated from good universities but most of them never went, you just never really hear about the fact that they didn't really.

Quick Reply

Latest