The Student Room Group

Algebraic Fraction

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by zed963
For b) 3x

No, try again.

Notice that there are 2 variable, 'x' and 'z'.
Reply 21
For c) 8/(x+2)
Reply 22
Original post by raheem94
No, try again.

Notice that there are 2 variable, 'x' and 'z'.

(5xz)/2z
Reply 23
Original post by zed963
For c) 8/(x+2)

:nah:, try again.
Original post by zed963
For b) 3x

No, try again. Remember you can only cancel out factors.
Reply 25
Original post by zed963

b) 3x

Look at the whole numerator. It contains 2 terms (3x and 2z) but only one factor (3x+2z). But this factor is only a factor of the numerator so you cannot cancel it. Another example:

(3x)(2z)3x\displaystyle \frac{(3x)(2z)}{3x}

Here, the whole numerator contains 1 term ( (3x)(2z) ) and there are two factors in that term (3x and 2z). Since there is only one term, these factors are factors of the whole numerator. The denominator also contains the factor 3x so you can cancel it. One more:

(3x)(2z)+53x\displaystyle \frac{(3x)(2z)+5}{3x}

The whole numerator contains two terms, (3x)(2z) and 5. The whole numerator contains only one factor: ((3x)(2z)+5). 3x is a factor of the denominator but not the numerator so you cannot cancel it. Remember, ((3x)(2z)+5) is the only factor of the numerator.

Does this make sense?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by zed963
(5xz)/2z

Question 'b' can't be simplified further.
Original post by AtomSmasher
You can only cancel them out if they are factors, i.e., when multiplied by something else (not added or subtracted from) it makes the expression. You know all about factorising right?

I'll just do a very simple example, it always helps: You can factorise 4x6x\frac{4x}{6x} to 2×2x3×2x\frac{2 \times 2x}{3 \times 2x}. Since 2x is a common factor you can cancel it out, getting 23\frac{2}{3}. However, you can express the same fraction as 2x+2x4x+2x\frac{2x + 2x}{4x + 2x}, but since these are not factors, you can't cancel them out. If you tried cancelling them, you'd end up with 2x4x\frac{2x}{4x}, which obviously isn't the same.

Sorry if this seems like a kind of childish explanation, I'm sure you know what I mean though?

Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread but what about this as an example

7x6+97x4+2\frac{7x^6+9}{7x^4+2}
Does that equal to 7x2+92\frac{7x^2+9}{2}
Reply 28
Original post by mrdoovde1
Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread but what about this as an example

7x6+97x4+2\frac{7x^6+9}{7x^4+2}
Does that equal to 7x2+92\frac{7x^2+9}{2}

No.

You are cancelling 7x47x^4, since you're assuming that it's a factor of the numerator and the denominator. But it isn't.

Look at the numerator. If 7x47x^4 was a factor of it then it must be multiplied by something else to make up the whole of the numerator. It's not though.

e.g. look at this expression: 7×4+97\times 4 + 9. Would you say that 4 is a factor of the whole of this expression? No. It's only a factor of the first term, 7×47\times 4.

You can only cancel something in an algebraic fraction if it is a factor of the whole numerator and the whole denominator.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
:nah:, try again.

What am I doing wrong can you give me a clue.
Reply 30
Question 'b' can't be simplified further.

So whats the answer.
Reply 31
Original post by zed963

Remember, some expressions can't be simplified.
Reply 32
Original post by zed963
So whats the answer.

The question is the answer, it can't be simplified so leave it as it is. Notnek wanted to test your understanding hence he put in some questions that can't be simplified.
Reply 33
Original post by zed963
So whats the answer.

Some of the questions that I included cannot be simplified. I put them in to show you the times when you cannot cancel in an algebraic fraction.

The answer would be the same as the question.
Reply 34
Remember, some expressions can't be simplified.

I though question c could be simplified because it has a common factor of x+2
Reply 35
Original post by zed963

How is (x+2) a common factor?

Do you really think 'c' can't be simplified further?
Original post by zed963

For the time being (until you get a good grasp of it) try factorising the numerator and denominator as far as they will go, then just cancel out any factors (multiples) that occur on both the top and the bottom.
Reply 37
How is (x+2) a common factor?

Do you really think 'c' can't be simplified further?

I meant x+3

so it becomes 8/x+2
Reply 38
Original post by zed963
I meant x+3

so it becomes 8/x+2

:nah:

(x+3) is a factor of the denominator but not of the numerator.
Reply 39
Original post by zed963

I think that might be a typo and you mean, "because it has a common factor of x+3".

But this is still not correct. Pretend the numerator contained a 7 instead of the (x+3). You would then have on the numerator:

3×7+53 \times 7 +5

Is 7 a factor of the whole of this expression? No. But you are saying it is. Let's put (x+3) back in it's place:

3(x+3)+53(x+3)+5

(x+3) is not a factor of this expression. It is only a factor of the first term: 3(x+3).

Just like 7 is not a factor of 3×7+53 \times 7 +5 but it is a factor of the first term: 3×73\times 7.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest