The Student Room Group

Imperial or Warwick or UCL?

Poll

Imperial or Warwick or UCL?

Hey guys need some advice regarding what course to choose! I've got offers from:

UCL - Statistics, Economics and Finance
Imperial - Mathematics with Statistics for Finance
Warwick - MORSE
City Uni - Actuarial Science

I'm keen on becoming an actuary in the future but I feel like I shouldn't study something so specific yet and "lock" myself into doing it in case I don't like it?

Also the UCL course has this thing where "Second-year students may have the opportunity to apply for a 12-month placement with an actuarial employer, between years two and three of the degree." Do you guys know if this is actually something which is actually very beneficial?

My feel so far from what I've read in the forums is that Imperial and Warwick probably have the better math courses out of those there? But do help me out and come up with pros and cons for all of them cause the cost of studying at Imperial and Warwick are higher than UCL (I'm an international student) and I'm wondering if they're worth the extra cost?

Thanks(:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Come on guys any advice at all?
Reply 2
Updated with a poll, come on guys need some feedback!
I heard somewhere that MORSE was voted the best course for investment banking by a bunch of firms. Still, the UCL placement sounds very useful.
Reply 4
Oh do you remember where you might have read that! Would like to read that article. The UCL placement does sound useful but do people actually take 12 months off school for a placement?!? It would mean one year longer to finish the course!
Imperial has the best rep, I'd say imperial.
Reply 6
I voted Warwick over Imperial because you willl have a better lifestyle (cheaper than London + more sociable), and the difference in prestige is fairly low.

I dont know anything about the UCL placement year though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Callum828
I heard somewhere that MORSE was voted the best course for investment banking by a bunch of firms..

this isnt true, banks dont care what you study (within reason) and MORSE isnt better than a math degree at any other top university.
Reply 8
I think if you want to become an actuary quickly (and sure of it), then City may be the best option. You get more actuarial exemptions than any other course. Although MORSE does have a lot of exemptions too (I think a possible 7?) should you take the 4 year integrated masters.
Original post by choobacca
Oh do you remember where you might have read that! Would like to read that article. The UCL placement does sound useful but do people actually take 12 months off school for a placement?!? It would mean one year longer to finish the course!

Googled it with no luck, though apparently placement years are available with the degree as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Ree69
I think if you want to become an actuary quickly (and sure of it), then City may be the best option. You get more actuarial exemptions than any other course. Although MORSE does have a lot of exemptions too (I think a possible 7?) should you take the 4 year integrated masters.

Yup City gives the most exemptions but how difficult are the tests actually? Do they take a long time to clear or assuming coming from a math degree I should be able to study for and take the Core components rather easily? I've looked at a few practice papers online and they do seem manageable actually..
Reply 11
Original post by Extricated
Imperial has the best rep, I'd say imperial.

Original post by poohat
I voted Warwick over Imperial because you willl have a better lifestyle (cheaper than London + more sociable), and the difference in prestige is fairly low.

I dont know anything about the UCL placement year though.

In terms of rep/prestige, are you guys talking about from the view of employers? What about in terms of chances for further study?

And also I'm currently in favour of Warwick purely due to the costs involved. For an overseas student Imperial's tuition fees are already 22 500 pounds while Warwick's are 13 800 pounds. And as mentioned cost of living is cheaper too so there's really a huge difference in costs.

Got one question though. In terms of interships/placements (especially summer holiday ones), would studying in London be an advantage mainly because more financial sector firms are located there? Or is it common for people studying in Warwick to go to and stay in London for summer to do an internship?
Reply 12
Original post by choobacca
In terms of rep/prestige, are you guys talking about from the view of employers? What about in terms of chances for further study?
In terms of academic prestige within the UK (eg going for an MSc or PhD) there is no difference whatsoever between Imperial/Warwick in the mathematical sciences, and UCL is basically on the same level too. In terms of private sector stuff I'd probably say that Imperial is ever so slightly more prestigious than the other two, but not to the extent that its likely to have any real impact on your career prospects.

I notice you are an international student though; from what I know, UCL and (especially) Imperial both have better international reputations than Warwick. If you are planning to return to your home country afterwards then you might need to take this into account. This isnt something I know much about though.

Got one question though. In terms of interships/placements (especially summer holiday ones), would studying in London be an advantage mainly because more financial sector firms are located there? Or is it common for people studying in Warwick to go to and stay in London for summer to do an internship?
It would make no difference since you can just move to London in the summer. This is common. The only difference would be that being in London makes it easier to go to term-time networking events (eg company presentations, etc). However Warwick is one of the 6 target universities for big investment banks (the others being Oxbridge/Imperial/UCL/LSE) so there will be some campus presentations there too.

I dont know if you will have work permit issues affecting your ability to do an internship, this is something you will have to look into.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
I agree with most of the previous comments.

Warwick may not have as high an international reputation as UCL and Imperial.

If you want to get a job in the UK, I think any of them is fine. Just go for the Uni you prefer. Remember, Imperial only do Science... factor in these things in your choice etc

Quick Reply

Latest