The Student Room Group

OCR M1 - 31st May 2012 :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by shybrowngirl
hi does anyone have the 2005 and 2006 papers and mark schemes please?

also does anyone know any website that shows all the worked out solutions for the papers please?

good luck everyone! :smile:

Go to Xtremepapers.com there you can find mark schemes, but its going to be hard to find working if there is particular question you need help in I can lend you a hand.
In this question: http://d.pr/i/oFKP, when you resolve parallel and perpendicular to the plane, what do you get?
Reply 162
Original post by pre-med-guy
In this question: http://d.pr/i/oFKP, when you resolve parallel and perpendicular to the plane, what do you get?

Ok this is what I got:
Tcos45-Fr-10sin20=massX0
so Tcos45-10sin20=Fr

and
R=10cos20+Tsin45

you know the coefficient of friction and you put it into the equation of
Fr=uR
Tcos45-10sin20=0.364x(10cos20+Tsin45)
re-arrange and factorise to get T=(3.64cos20+10sin20)/(cos45-0.364sin45)
T=15.2....
might have some accuracy errors as I used 0.364 for u instead of the value worked out in 5 i) b
Edit: sorry forgot that you wanted components. Parallel is Tcos45-Fr=0 and perpendicular is 10cos20+Tsin45.

P.s what paper is that?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by seamen
I am getting so far like 66+ out of 72, personally I want an easy paper, there are 2 topics which I know I will slit my wrists over, the (t,x) graphs and the big questions on vertical motion, which require to conjure up 2 or 3 suvat equations.

how about you?

It depends on the paper really. I really liked Jun 11 and Jan 12, and got 65 + or something, but i HATE the 2010 papers. I REALLLLLLLLY hope the exam is easy! Its my last exam! :biggrin:
Original post by Tyles
yep, same. but for me it's more in the vertical motion form when particles are thrown up in the air and come back down, when do they pass eachother. etcetc. I just hope the paper is a nice... simple... paper. please.

It doesn't help that I've also got FP1 on friday too so I'm kinda having to split the revision for that too ://
Original post by seamen
Go to Xtremepapers.com there you can find mark schemes, but its going to be hard to find working if there is particular question you need help in I can lend you a hand.

ah thanks, didn't think of that website :smile:
Reply 166
morning guys :frown:

..... i still couldn't do that question from last night wa wa waaa
Original post by As_Dust_Dances_
It doesn't help that I've also got FP1 on friday too so I'm kinda having to split the revision for that too ://

That's the worst bit for me too, because the grade boundaries are so high on FP1, you need to nail that, but then m1 is first and just :angry:
Original post by Tyles

Sorry to jump in, but which question is this, I'll have a go, despite you seeming to be a boss at mechanics :smile:
Original post by Tyles

What question?
Reply 170
Original post by Emissionspectra
What question?

few pages back, june 2007 question 5 iii or something. I could get T, and get 2 simultaneous equations but i don't understand how they got the final answer.

might just void it haha
Original post by seamen
Ok this is what I got:
Tcos45-Fr=massX0
so Tcos45=Fr

and
R=10cos20+Tsin45

you know the coefficient of friction and you put it into the equation of
Fr=uR
Tcos45=0.364x(10cos20+Tsin45)
re-arrange and factorise to get T=(3.64cos20)/(cos45-0.364sin45)
T=7.6...
might have some accuracy errors as I used 0.364 for u instead of the value worked out in 5 i) b
Edit: sorry forgot that you wanted components. Parallel is Tcos45-Fr=0 and perpendicular is 10cos20+Tsin45.

P.s what paper is that?

I got the answer in the end: T = 15.2.

My resolved components were:

Parallel: 10 sin 20 + 0.364R = T cos 45
Perpindicular: 10 cos 20 + T sin 45 = R.

My confusion is over why the mark scheme writes:
Perpindicular: 10 cos 20 + T cos 45 = R

Although this doesn't affect your final result since sin 45 = cos 45, why do they chose to write T cos 45?

The paper is Jun 09.
Original post by Tyles
few pages back, june 2007 question 5 iii or something. I could get T, and get 2 simultaneous equations but i don't understand how they got the final answer.

might just void it haha

I'll have a look in a minute
Reply 173
Original post by Emissionspectra
I'll have a look in a minute

lad
Reply 174
Original post by master y
It depends on the paper really. I really liked Jun 11 and Jan 12, and got 65 + or something, but i HATE the 2010 papers. I REALLLLLLLLY hope the exam is easy! Its my last exam! :biggrin:

I am with you Jun 11 and jan 12 only papers I got full marks on did a mock in lesson :biggrin:, but damn some of the papers require you to think a lot and by the end you are tired and then they slap you with another high mark and lengthy question. :rolleyes: . Got my fingers crossed for something like jan 2012 but without the last question I spent like 20 mins on that :colondollar:.
Original post by Tyles
lad

Got it :smile: I'll just write it out
Reply 176
Original post by Tyles

I tried every way seriously that question is Mind killer, I give up I am scared they might put that up as a question, since they like putting in questions which were found difficult before.
Hey guys I'm really weak on (t,v) graphs and (s,t) graphs.. anyone know websites that can help?

Thanks in advance =]
Original post by Tyles

Here you go:

From part ii, we know the the projection speed of Q is 5.6.

iii) P: (taking up to be positive)
s=s
u=8.4
v=
a=-9.8
t=t

Q:
s=s-2
u=5.6
v=
a=-9.8
t=t

use s=ut + 0.5at^2 for both of these.

Ie p: s=8.4t-4.9t^2
q: s-2 = 5.6t - 4.9t^2
q: s= 5.6t - 4.9t^2 +2

equate the s as you know they are at the same height:
8.4t-4.9t^2 = 5.6t - 4.9t^2 +2

cancel the -4.9t^2:
8.4t=5.6t+2
get t=5/7...
then you have this:
P:
s=
u=8.4
v=
a=-9.8
t=5/7

Q:
s=
u=5.6
v=
a=-9.8
t=5/7

Then use v=u+at for P to get v=1.4 and then use it for Q to get -1.4. Hence, they both have the same speeds, but are travelling in opposite directions, with Q travelling downwards and P travelling upwards.

I hope that's the question you meant anyways xD

Hope it helps!
Reply 179
Original post by Nathdragon5
Here you go:

From part ii, we know the the projection speed of Q is 5.6.

iii) P: (taking up to be positive)
s=s
u=8.4
v=
a=-9.8
t=t

Q:
s=s-2
u=5.6
v=
a=-9.8
t=t

use s=ut + 0.5at^2 for both of these.

Ie p: s=8.4t-4.9t^2
q: s-2 = 5.6t - 4.9t^2
q: s= 5.6t - 4.9t^2 +2

equate the s as you know they are at the same height:
8.4t-4.9t^2 = 5.6t - 4.9t^2 +2

cancel the -4.9t^2:
8.4t=5.6t+2
get t=5/7...
then you have this:
P:
s=
u=8.4
v=
a=-9.8
t=5/7

Q:
s=
u=5.6
v=
a=-9.8
t=5/7

Then use v=u+at for P to get v=1.4 and then use it for Q to get -1.4. Hence, they both have the same speeds, but are travelling in opposite directions, with Q travelling downwards and P travelling upwards.

I hope that's the question you meant anyways xD

Hope it helps!

I see where my error has been.. i did s-2 in the wrong place so it ****ed up my equation! you legend! have an upvote.

Anybody else got any questions they think are decent to try out? I'm feeling confident, just sometimes i screw up last bits of questions.. like that one :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending