Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Demographics of Student Room...

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: which political party?
    Conservative
    26.46%
    labour
    34.15%
    lib dem
    11.08%
    UKIP
    9.54%
    BNP
    2.15%
    Other
    16.62%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    None?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Labour for the pragmatic vote, although I wouldn't have voted for Ken.

I'm a progressive Liberal at heart, but the Greens are the closest to that, and that's a wasted vote under FPTP.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Other. The choice of major political parties in the UK is, quite frankly, a joke.

(Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    I'm a progressive Liberal at heart, but the Greens are the closest to that, and that's a wasted vote under FPTP.
    ^ pretty much this. The parties I would want to vote for will end up with nothing anyway and I don't want to vote for lib/lab.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    SNP

But as that's not relevant probably Green
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting pretty sick of party politics. At the end of the day you're all basically just choosing teams to rally around.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prog2djent)
    Erm? SELLOUT?
    There are some good libertarian tories, for example Dan Hannan.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Next election I will probably vote conservative, so I have voted for them in the polls. This is because labour will have a very good chance of getting back in power thanks to all the cuts.. then they'll spend lots of money, and proceed to go out of power and blame it on everyone else

But in a free world, I would vote Liberal Democrat - and probably will vote for them the election after next, unless my constituency was a close thing between Conservative and Labour.

My main political standing is "not labour, anyone but labour".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes I still have hope in libdem, small hope, but hope none the less.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prog2djent)
    Erm? SELLOUT?
    How so?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    labour
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Why are the BNP an option but the Greens aren't?

Me-SNP
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Out of interest, why?
    The party who tripled tuition fees, the party who got rid of EMA. The party who has seen the highest level of youth unemployment in a generation. Under Thatcher, a Conservative leader child poverty was at an all time high. I know plenty of people who needed EMA to get to school. Tories seem unable to realise not everyone is born into wealth and actually need a bit of help.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not too different from the breakdown of the last TSR General Election, apart from the Lib Dem and UKIP votes.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    The party who tripled tuition fees, the party who got rid of EMA. The party who has seen the highest level of youth unemployment in a generation. Under Thatcher, a Conservative leader child poverty was at an all time high. I know plenty of people who needed EMA to get to school. Tories seem unable to realise not everyone is born into wealth and actually need a bit of help.
    What strikes me about that response is that it's all about you; now. There's very little in there that shows any consideration of your future when you've graduated and are out in the real world.

I'm far from what you'd call privileged. I've had to work bloody hard to achieve what I have and I've done it with very little help from my parents and particularly from the state. Despite being entitled to a lot of state support in the past, I chose not to take it. Ordinarily, you'd expect that I would be a Labour voter, considering my background, but I'm not. The reason being, I look towards the future, rather than my own short term gain. Currently, Labour cannot offer a future that I want to be part of.

Labour has demonstrated that it is purely about the present, showing no consideration for the future consequences of its decisions - satisfying its voters with sticking plasters and massive spending; spending which wasn't being paid for. Labour could not push their Ponzi scheme of fiscal irresponsibility any more in 2010, hence why they were forced out of government. Their rhetoric does not change and for me, neither does their (utter lack of) credibility. A new leader and a new direction could change that.

The Conservatives (especially in this coalition) have some pretty big faults, but overall, when I'm thinking of which box I'm going to put an X in, I remind myself that I'm a grown up now. I choose to vote for a grown up party that I believe works for the long-term future of the UK, rather than a party that's clearly only interested in its re-election at whatever cost to the wider economy.

Right now, the Conservatives tick that box for me, but that's not to say that if something better comes along I will blindly vote for them - I'll vote for whoever I believe is the best party to run the country, not for the party that's going to give me the most perks, regardless of cost.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    Next election I will probably vote conservative, so I have voted for them in the polls. This is because labour will have a very good chance of getting back in power thanks to all the cuts.. then they'll spend lots of money, and proceed to go out of power and blame it on everyone else
    Labour will blame the cut-backs for any economic turmoil under them if they get back into power and the Conservatives will just blame the last Labour government for any under them.

As for me, Green suits me the most but as has been said, is really a wasted vote in FPTP. Of course I'm in a very safe seat for the Tories so it doesn't really matter who I vote for sadly, but then the constituency rules so I'm fine with it as my MP does do an alright job I suppose.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    There are some good libertarian tories, for example Dan Hannan.
    Yes yes yes Hannan (and Doug Carswell) are saints within the party, but they are very minor and insignificant members, in all honesty, I think they wanted to get rid of Hannan after his NHS comments and speaking to Fox news, thats why they essentially deported him to europe so he (in their opinion) can was lyrical to the EU about how bad it all is, but nobody takes notice and he has no power/influence. Doug is too busy with PostiveMoney to be involved with party politics, and even then, he would be of no authoritative position.

The lib dems has some Classical Liberal (which is pretty much the purest form of right wing libertarian) MP's, more than the Tory's i'd say, but I wouldn't vote for the Lib dems, because, like the tories, they have no power or influence in the party, and, lately, establishment Lib dems have been hostile to them.

The closest thing to a libertarian vote, of the Big parties, would be UKIP, it would be the Lib dems if they stuck to their Orange book ideas. Then for minor parties you have the Liberal party and libertarian party.

The problem arrises when the decision is "I either vote on principle, or I vote for the Tory's (who of course are closer to libertarians than labour) to keep labour out", but I don't like that position anymore, beacuse I think labour and the tories are identical now, only labour are more socially liberal and they have finally realised they ******* up with immigration and racism/free speach laws.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Labour will blame the cut-backs for any economic turmoil under them if they get back into power and the Conservatives will just blame the last Labour government for any under them.

As for me, Green suits me the most but as has been said, is really a wasted vote in FPTP. Of course I'm in a very safe seat for the Tories so it doesn't really matter who I vote for sadly, but then the constituency rules so I'm fine with it as my MP does do an alright job I suppose.
    Well, we share some unhappiness with the systems of FPTP and constituencies?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    Well, we share some unhappiness with the systems of FPTP and constituencies?
    Pretty much, I would prefer a more PR style system but then you lose the local MP aspect in all reality. I like the fact we have the local MP but would prefer it that my vote was represented in Parliament. AV was rather a silly idea, not too sure if I'd prefer it more than FPTP but I think it just slightly wins and I'm fairly ignorant on how ones like STV actually work so I can't really say which voting system I'd prefer.

Overall though, can one complain that majority of the constituency rules? (Providing of course there is a good turn out in the area and not something like 30 odd %) All the people who say that 'oh my vote won't have mattered' simply have no idea if it would have done if only they and those like them all voted. Maybe the rest of the % (minus those who are apathetic- which is a good number admittedly) could have changed the result. Who knows? :holmes:

Which is why I will always vote. I believe that if I have voted then I have the option to complain about how things are run. If I don't vote, sure I've had nothing to do with it, but then I did not try and change it, so how can I complain given the fact that I had my chance and didn't do anything about it. A spoilt ballot paper sends a clearer signal than a non-attendance, there could be any reason for the later but only a few for the former, be it you voted twice, didn't put a vote on, signed it etc. All of which either indicate either you're a bit loopy or are unhappy with all the candidates and so refuse to have a standing vote.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    What strikes me about that response is that it's all about you; now. There's very little in there that shows any consideration of your future when you've graduated and are out in the real world.

I'm far from what you'd call privileged. I've had to work bloody hard to achieve what I have and I've done it with very little help from my parents and particularly from the state. Despite being entitled to a lot of state support in the past, I chose not to take it. Ordinarily, you'd expect that I would be a Labour voter, considering my background, but I'm not. The reason being, I look towards the future, rather than my own short term gain. Currently, Labour cannot offer a future that I want to be part of.

Labour has demonstrated that it is purely about the present, showing no consideration for the future consequences of its decisions - satisfying its voters with sticking plasters and massive spending; spending which wasn't being paid for. Labour could not push their Ponzi scheme of fiscal irresponsibility any more in 2010, hence why they were forced out of government. Their rhetoric does not change and for me, neither does their (utter lack of) credibility. A new leader and a new direction could change that.

The Conservatives (especially in this coalition) have some pretty big faults, but overall, when I'm thinking of which box I'm going to put an X in, I remind myself that I'm a grown up now. I choose to vote for a grown up party that I believe works for the long-term future of the UK, rather than a party that's clearly only interested in its re-election at whatever cost to the wider economy.

Right now, the Conservatives tick that box for me, but that's not to say that if something better comes along I will blindly vote for them - I'll vote for whoever I believe is the best party to run the country, not for the party that's going to give me the most perks, regardless of cost.
    You're guilty of the classic 'being right wing is mature' rubbish spouted at.

You go on and on as if somehow being a conservative is a sign of maturity and that anyone who votes labour is naive.

Well no. I want to see better public services. I want to see the wealthier in society taxed more and more done to help the poorest.
    Fair play to you for working hard but not everyone has the same opportunities as you. it's not as simple as merely 'hardwork'.

But how are the conservatives building for the future? By taking away peoples disability allowance? By removing child benefits? By taking away EMA? By privatizing the forests? (or attempting to)

Under this government unemployment has soared and we've slipped back into recession. Yeah some future plan.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is quite interesting to be honest, just a few months ago, there was a similar thread on TSR, but conservatives were marginally ahead.

Says a lot about their recent ****ups.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 11, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.