Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hit my parent' pillar/wall

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Earlier today, reversing onto the drive I was looking in the left mirror as I was backing on to the drive. Just as my head was turning to look in the right mirror, bang! I hit the pillar and knocked it over (the pillar hit the right hand side of the car, not visible in left or interior mirror). I've cleared up the bricks and rubble.

I'm so annoyed with myself, but after 10 hours at work i just wasn't concentrating.

My parents are away until tomorrow and i've told my brother that it was like that when I got home from work.

Should I just be honest and admit it was me and apologise, and offer to pay to have it re-done. Or stick with the 'someone else must have done it'.
    • 60 followers

ReputationRep:
    they can take it out of your pocket money
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    stick with someone else did it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcxy)
    Earlier today, reversing onto the drive I was looking in the left mirror as I was backing on to the drive. Just as my head was turning to look in the right mirror, bang! I hit the pillar and knocked it over (the pillar hit the right hand side of the car, not visible in left or interior mirror). I've cleared up the bricks and rubble.

I'm so annoyed with myself, but after 10 hours at work i just wasn't concentrating.

My parents are away until tomorrow and i've told my brother that it was like that when I got home from work.

Should I just be honest and admit it was me and apologise, and offer to pay to have it re-done. Or stick with the 'someone else must have done it'.
    If you say somebody else did it, your parents are going to want to get the police involved, as something like this would be classed as criminal damage. The police, as well as your parents, will ask for witnesses around where you live. If any of your neighbours saw you do it (which they probably did, or even of they didn't, they will have heard the noise and rushed to the window to see you driving forward from the pillar), then you will have wasted police time and will look incredibly stupid. You will also upset your parents more by lying to them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Is there no damage to car? You should definitely be honest, I'm not sure why you've lied to your brother really.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flyteryder)
    If you say somebody else did it, your parents are going to want to get the police involved, as something like this would be classed as criminal damage. The police, as well as your parents, will ask for witnesses around where you live. If any of your neighbours saw you do it (which they probably did, or even of they didn't, they will have heard the noise and rushed to the window to see you driving forward from the pillar), then you will have wasted police time and will look incredibly stupid. You will also upset your parents more by lying to them.
    They wouldn't get the police involved, they're not that bothered about chasing it for the sake of £40-£50.

but you're probably right, at least if I tell them I know i've done the right thing.

My mum usually uses the drive but since my parents are away I decided i would use it. I think it would be one hell of a coincidence that someone hit the wall while they were away and that they know I would use the drive.

I think i will tell them, what's worse; paying £50 for bricks and cement and my parents being happy that I was honest. Or leading a lie that could get worse if friends and relatives ask what happened and I have to follow on the story for months.

EDIT: Sillyrodent: I don't know why I lied, I convinced myself I was going to lead the lie that someone else did it
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Following on from this, the CPS may choose to actually prosecute you for the criminal damage, regardless of what your parents say.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably try and repair it, lol, but I suppose it depends on what kind of pillar it is
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _music<3)
    I'd probably try and repair it, lol, but I suppose it depends on what kind of pillar it is
    It's one like this:
    [Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brick-pillar-constructions-picture.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	146089

Why in life do we think 'if only I had......'?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This. Never lie to your parents if you can help it, it will do your relationship no good. In the end they're probably going to help you out of your situation instead of kick you out of the house or something. Hopefully they'll understand it's an accident.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcxy)
    They wouldn't get the police involved, they're not that bothered about chasing it for the sake of £40-£50.

but you're probably right, at least if I tell them I know i've done the right thing.

I think i will tell them, what's worse; paying £50 for bricks and cement and my parents being happy that I was honest. Or leading a lie that could get worse if friends and relatives ask what happened and I have to follow on the story for months.
    Your parents are 100% going to ask your neighbours if they saw what happened, even if they don't get the police involved. The last thing you need is 4 or 5 people from your street saying they saw you do it when you've said you didn't.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all. I guess the best thing is to tell them.

What's done is done, we all do stupid ****
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Blame your brother
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just be honest.
    Honesty is the best policy.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangoh)
    do NOT take this advice.

Blame your brother.
    So lying and making the problem worse and leading everyone on a wild goose chase is better than eing honest and getting all of the aggrovation out of your seystem there and then is it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amime)
    Blame your brother
    This

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 7, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.