Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it bad to use too much protein powder and as meal replacements......?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I am about to start a bodybuilding program again and I am going to need to consume 5 meals a day with following protein contents:

meal 1: 45g (protein), 168 (carbs)
    meal 2: 45g (protein) 67 (carbs)
    meal 3: 56g (protein) 67 (carbs)
    meal 4: 56g (protein) 67 (carbs)
    meal 5: 45g (protein) 45 (carbs)

And basically at breakfast, I can't eat that much in the morning due to bad digestion. Also, Im at work during the day so don't have too much time to eat between breakfast and lunch. So would it be ok to just have protein powder for breakfast, meal 2 and then pre and post workout, i.e 4 times a day? I dont really know many quick meals which are high in protein and most meal plans I have looked at online just plug their own protein powder. This is the most difficult part of it, meal planning for me as I don't know how to plan it
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seems like way too much, protein shakes give you a bloated/fullness feeling to the point that you'll struggle to have a balanced diet & be able to workout effectively.

Tuna/cheese/chicken breast/egg sandwiches.
    Salmon/chicken fillets/boiled egg take 5-10mins to cook.
    Protein bars.

Perhaps a shake in the morning & 1 post workout, then fill the rest with the above^.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I dont agree as long as you can disgest it it is fine. A good whole protein supply.

as long as your getting your 5 a day,drink pleanty of water this should be fine.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrically)
    Seems like way too much, protein shakes give you a bloated/fullness feeling to the point that you'll struggle to have a balanced diet & be able to workout effectively.

Tuna/cheese/chicken breast/egg sandwiches.
    Salmon/chicken fillets/boiled egg take 5-10mins to cook.
    Protein bars.

Perhaps a shake in the morning & 1 post workout, then fill the rest with the above^.
    Strong broscientist.

Dem macros > source of said macros
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You've answered your own question by stating "too much" protein powder. So, I can helpfully say that you are using too much protein powder as a food substitute, and it is therefore dangerous You're welcome.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTJ)
    You've answered your own question by stating "too much" protein powder. So, I can helpfully say that you are using too much protein powder as a food substitute, and it is therefore dangerous You're welcome.
    what exactly is dangerous about it?
    you cant od on it!

its not a drug, its a natural product from milk?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Traininghard)
    what exactly is dangerous about it?
    you cant od on it!

its not a drug, its a natural product from milk?
    Well, I'd have thought you would be neglecting your body's need for various vitamins etc. Protein powder is not meant to be used as an actual food substitute constantly. Either way, it's the fact you said you use "too much" powder, which would suggest you already know it's not a good amount to have.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Personally I use two shakes a day and fill in the rest with whole foods. Over that amount isn't dangerous and at the end of the day it's the macro intake that counts. You want to be eating more whole foods than supplements.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's easily forgotten food isn't just about macro nutrition. If you depend on shakes too much then you will be eating less real food which means less vitamins ect. Use shakes when you need a boost of protein that's hard due to time or whatever but always try to get real food in first
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Traininghard)
    as long as your getting your 5 a day,drink pleanty of water this should be fine.

Why 5?

You know they only picked the number 5 because they knew it would be hard enough to convince most of the idiots out there to even do that, right?

IIRC it's something like 10 in France and Japan is even higher.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wierd people, shut up and get a degree
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EonBlueApocalypse)
    Personally I use two shakes a day and fill in the rest with whole foods. Over that amount isn't dangerous and at the end of the day it's the macro intake that counts. You want to be eating more whole foods than supplements.
    what do you mean the macro intake? just like the overall protein count? Could you possibly post a quick sample plan for ONE day so I can compare? cheers. Like I said, its difficult for me just to keep eating food in my office.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Too much protein puts strain on your liver to digest, I wouldn't go over the top with it. Also make sure you're drinking lots of water too, high protein causes dehydration.

But yeah, I know you need to increase your intake if you're looking to build muscle mass, just saying though.

Maybe make some food at home and take to work with you, like a chicken breast and a bit of pasta or something. Protein powders are supplements - to give you that bit extra, they shouldn't be a replacement for protein in foods.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newts2k)
    what do you mean the macro intake? just like the overall protein count? Could you possibly post a quick sample plan for ONE day so I can compare? cheers. Like I said, its difficult for me just to keep eating food in my office.
    Your macro-nutrients are your main food groups: carbs, protein and fats. Sure, my plan isn't perfect by all means but I'm still bulking so I can afford to gain a little fat:

Breakfast: 4 eggs, bacon (sometimes), 2 slices of wholemeal toast, fruit salad, 750 ml water

Post-breakfast: banana, big glass of whole milk

Snack: Porridge oats, roast peanuts, piece of fruit

Lunch: chicken/minced beef, rice/pasta, spinach

Post-workout shake

Dinner: similar to lunch

Snack: can of tuna, porridge oats

Pre-bed shake and few teaspoons of peanut butter

I don't really have time count up the calories and specific nutrients but you can get an idea of where the majority of protein in my diet is coming from.

Prepare your meals in advance, especially your lunch and meal in between lunch and dinner. A shake as meal replacement is ok if your constrained to the office, just have whole food as a pre-bed snack instead of the shake, if you get me.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your macro-nutrients are your main food groups: carbs, protein and fats. Sure, my plan isn't perfect by all means but I'm still bulking so I can afford to gain a little fat:

Breakfast: 4 eggs, bacon (sometimes), 2 slices of wholemeal toast, fruit salad, 750 ml water

Post-breakfast: banana, big glass of whole milk

Snack: Porridge oats, roast peanuts, piece of fruit

Lunch: chicken/minced beef, rice/pasta, spinach

Post-workout shake

Dinner: similar to lunch

Snack: can of tuna, porridge oats

Pre-bed shake and few teaspoons of peanut butter

I don't really have time count up the calories and specific nutrients but you can get an idea of where the majority of protein in my diet is coming from.

Prepare your meals in advance, especially your lunch and meal in between lunch and dinner. A shake as meal replacement is ok if your constrained to the office, just have whole food as a pre-bed snack instead of the shake, if you get me.
    cheers for that, thats useful. Yeh, its just difficult to keep eating if youre at an office, using a computer and when you're on probationary period. I can only eat 3 eggs at most in the morning due to bad digestion.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Breakfast: 750 ml water
    Why are you consuming so much water in the morning, in one go?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    cheers for that, thats useful. Yeh, its just difficult to keep eating if youre at an office, using a computer and when you're on probationary period. I can only eat 3 eggs at most in the morning due to bad digestion.
    What matters most is your daily macro intake, it matters less what time of day you have it but obviously a more spread out plan will stop your energy levels dropping but if you have snacks, like nuts or even a protein bar you'll still be able to get enough food in you.

3 eggs is enough as well its not super important you have 4-5.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know a guy who eats a decent breakfast then barely eats throughout the day, just some fruit and a few oatcakes to keep him going. Then when he gets in he eats a huge meal that he sits and eats for about an hour. My point is that it doesn't matter how many meals you eat so long as you get in the food your need so you might be better of playing around with your meal frequency and size
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    Why are you consuming so much water in the morning, in one go?
    I take creatine so I need to get hydrated as quickly as possible in the morning and stay that way throughout the day.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 11, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.