Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone experienced any random acts of kindness?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A while back my old Peugeot had a flat tyre and it was like 11 at night and it was pouring with rain. By chance an AA van happened to be passing, very kindly he stopped and gave me a hand changing my tyre.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	646.jpeg 
Views:	133 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	146741
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    I do not believe in random acts of kindness. There is always a motive.
    Yes. The motive is that some people derive happiness from helping other people.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Plenty times I've been wearing a new item of clothing with the tag unknowingly still on and loads of times a stranger will stop me and let me know. always saves a bit of embarrassment...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Or just to "chat you up" because you might be "available".

This is more commonly referred to as grooming.

:unimpressed:
    :troll:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goape)
    Yes. The motive is that some people derive happiness from helping other people.
    That is still a selfish motive, however.

Selfishness is completely acceptable, though. It is to be encouraged.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4LLY)
    A while back my old Peugeot had a flat tyre and it was like 11 at night and it was pouring with rain. By chance an AA van happened to be passing, very kindly he stopped and gave me a hand changing my tyre.
    totally read that first time as 'stopped and gave me a hand job'. I should sleep.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A tramp I walked past once told me:

"A smile costs nothing."
    Brightened up my day.

(I usually don't approve of tramps.)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    That is still a selfish motive, however.
    Absolutely, ultimately everything one does is for the self. But whatever the motive, the act is still kind.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balface)
    I'm also always really gratedful for the men who always seem to stop and carry my suitcase for me when I'm struggling on the tube/trains (I don't have a car and am really small and pathetically weak).
    Not to spoil the general l'air du temps of this thread, but I find it much more likely that they simply find you attractive.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of any altruism off hand.

I tell you what, first three people to PM me with the name of the charity they support, and one sentence on why, I'll donate £10 each.

**ALL DONE** I'm sure your respective causes are gratified.

@@EDIT@@

1. £10 to the Red Cross courtesy of SF
    2. £10 to Horses & Ponies Protection Organisation courtesy of RK
    3. £10 to Help for Heroes courtesy of S
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Not to spoil the general l'air du temps of this thread, but I find it much more likely that they simply find you attractive.
    Not sure I get this obsession with the motive. Why does the motive matter, unless the person explicitly states it to while doing? It is the act that is important.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie (:)
    Sounds like the beginnings of a love story! :P
    You should definatly check this out for a love story.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Once, I squashed my homicidal urges and didn't kill everyone in the room.

We all felt warm and fuzzy inside.

...No but really, I can't think of anything.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to work at a petrol station. One day a man came in a bought two chocolate bars and gave one each to me and my colleague. It was really nice and brightened up my day!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    I can't think of any altruism off hand.

I tell you what, first three people to PM me with the name of the charity they support, and one sentence on why, I'll donate £10 each.

**This offer expires at 2300 Thursday 10th May, and any residual will go to Help For Heroes**

@@EDIT@@

£10 to the Red Cross courtesy of SF
    Out of rep :hmmm:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Lost my wallet on the train, panicked and went through the usual business of cancelling my cards and having new ones sent. On the day when I was on the phone to the DLVA to get a replacement driving license card there's a knock at my door.

I open it and there's a lad about my age, maybe a few years older who had obviously found my wallet and taken it upon himself to drive to the address listed on my driving license to give it to me in person because in his own words "I don't trust the post!" It was a good hours' drive as well but when I offered to pay him for the petrol and his trouble he wouldn't have any of it.

So I took him to the shops in my own car and bought him a crate of beer.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. When the bus driver says Helloooooo young lady
    2. Once I was 90p short when buying sweets at my local newsagent, some kind dude offered to pay for it, I was chuffed

The nicest/kind of weird one has to be when once, I was in a store looking at designer bags (cost around £2000 each), I was just looking, as you would, (not that ill ever afford it) when a man started talking to me and offered to buy me the one I was looking at. Erm I thought wth and declined his rather strange offer (who knows whether he would have actually proceeded to buy it ) hmmm it was odd. And creepy.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainPours)
    That was really nice of her, most people would throw it away rather then giving it to someone who can make use of it right?
    A lot of people do this, its happened in my mums car on numerous occassions. My mum has gave other people her carpark ticket when it still had time left and she was leaving countless of times. Its more common than you think.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I havn't noticed any towards me.. but when I worked on checkouts at a supermarket (weekend job while I was at school) I served a very nice lady and I was just packing the last of her weekly shop for her while she was using the chip and pin machine and her card was declined several times.

I could see the embarassment on her face and felt really sorry for her and the next person in the queue was a man with a very nice friendly face and he tried to pay for her weekly shop for her with no intention of swapping details for a repayment or anything like that.

She was as shocked as I was and she said she couldn't possibly accept the offer (despite him physically attempting to put his card into the machine) but it was just so nice that he fully intended to pay for a complete strangers' weeks worth of shopping.

After I'd sorted out her problem and had her taken to the customer service desk I was serving the man and I said to him 'that was a really amazingly nice thing you did' and he said 'Oh don't be silly.. it was nothing... it's only money'.

I still think about it sometimes and it always makes me smile

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.