Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Housemate is driving me up the wall.

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014

Hey guys.
    I moved mid year due to really horrid housemates.
    This new place was nice until my new housemate started bringing people around more often (they did it before but I was warned).
    It's disturbing my sleep (at least 4 days outta 7) AND My hand ins and exams are just around the corner.
    I've spoken to them numerous times in different manners:
    saying to keep it down
    saying please bring them around less
    saying please tell me when...GIVE ME A WARNING
    saying she could only bring people once a week
    Her excuse is that's she's lonely and bored (lots of other things about a recent break up).
    What gets me is each time she'll say okay or I'll go to their houses.
    It never HAPPENS! I've already paided my last months rent.
    I don't know what else to do....and at times she brings people BACK to sleep over at 4am and I can hear their full conversations. Tried ear plugs moving my bed etc..I'm running on empty.Please help!
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    what do your other housemates think of this????

(Original post by Mrx123)
    what do your other housemates think of this????
    Ah that's the thing.It's just us two.This was one of the reasons I left the old house.
    Right now she has someone over in our kitchen area between our rooms so I can pretty much hear what they're speaking about. >_> She KNOWS I have exams and hand ins too.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ah that's the thing.It's just us two.This was one of the reasons I left the old house.
    Right now she has someone over in our kitchen area between our rooms so I can pretty much hear what they're speaking about. >_> She KNOWS I have exams and hand ins too.
    ummmmmm find somewhere else to study, perhaps a library???
    either that or battle through it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Who read this and thought, SPIDERMAN !

Nope ? On my own then
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Invite your friends when shes on her own, show her how you feel??

play some loud music have some drink party??
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Throw a massive house party and see how she likes it

ummmmmm find somewhere else to study, perhaps a library???
    either that or battle through it
    I don't like it in the daytime but that I can survive!
    It's getting to sleep after hearing murmurs and a door shutting to be woken up 3 hours later by a group of girls. >_> ;;;
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    you've tried being nice, you could try being nasty now. lay down the law.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4LLY)
    Throw a massive house party and see how she likes it
    Ah now that I wanted to in my old house XD
    But right now I don't have the time ....maybe I should after next hand in.
    She just seems to lack empathy and seems a bit clingy while I'm the opposite I can be alone for more than a day!
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't like it in the daytime but that I can survive!
    It's getting to sleep after hearing murmurs and a door shutting to be woken up 3 hours later by a group of girls. >_> ;;;
    I don't think you should have to put up with this type of behaviour, you have asked her nicely to be quiet and she obviously dosent care....and you said you paid your rent so moving out isn't an idea..........this is a hard one because being nasty might make it more awkward for you.....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do it after your next hand in.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    whoops so much for that! XD
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    you've tried being nice, you could try being nasty now. lay down the law.
    I'm not used to being so forward even telling her she was loud was hard for me.
    That's true....I've avoided the cleaning but other things have been happening too... (random broken things and broken promises)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should have to put up with this type of behaviour, you have asked her nicely to be quiet and she obviously dosent care....and you said you paid your rent so moving out isn't an idea..........this is a hard one because being nasty might make it more awkward for you.....
    Exactly I was gonna call her bluff but I can't move right now anyway.
    I think when I got worse (said one day only) she's got SLIGHTLY more manageable.It's when she invited her new bf over the night before I had a 9am that really pissed me off.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    put up a party ad on facebook i don't recommend this but will serve her right make sure you transport all your valueables to a safehouse for that day loool
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Since you've already moved due to housemates before, have you considered maybe you're the issue?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    What does the landlord / lady have to say about this? The housemate might listen more to them.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mamiya)
    I'm not used to being so forward even telling her she was loud was hard for me.
    That's true....I've avoided the cleaning but other things have been happening too... (random broken things and broken promises)
    well yeah I know it's not a nice thing to have to do, but what would you rather have happen - a difficult conversation or to ruin your exams that you are presumably paying thousands for the privilege of sitting? I know what the rational choice is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NWA)
    Since you've already moved due to housemates before, have you considered maybe you're the issue?
    Maybe that my standards are too high that and I'm a light sleeper!
    Thought I've gone from living with:

A house of 5 (2 were stoners who didnt clean, the other 2 I don't even know what they were)
    to
    A house of just 2.
    The problems only started when she finished her studies as she has nothing to do (she says)

Two different situations.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 7, 2012
New on TSR

A-Level Results Day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.