The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE music 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
What do you reckon the grade boundries are? Like how much out of 80 is needed for an A*, A, B etc?
Reply 41
Original post by marcotam
What do you reckon the grade boundries are? Like how much out of 80 is needed for an A*, A, B etc?

It depends how well you did on your coursework as to how many marks you need in the exam to get the overall grade, however, last year in the exam, you needed 71 for an A*. 62 was an A. 50 was a B. 38 was a C. 34 was a D. 30 was an E. 27 was an F, and 24 was a G.
Original post by Medical-al
Oh for those who are not sure of the UMS marks for this exam, and want to achieve a good grade, the points go like this...

Max. 120.
A*: 108/120
A: 96/120
So on...

UMS marks are always like this aren't they or are out of 100. I'm kind of worried, but to get an A I only need a B (due to coursework) no chance of getting an A* realistically though :frown: To many people know much more than me.

Shall we play a game where we ask a question and the first person to answer gets to ask the next one?
Eg Give two features of the dynamics in Peripete
Reply 43
Original post by gmseahorse

Shall we play a game where we ask a question and the first person to answer gets to ask the next one?
Eg Give two features of the dynamics in Peripete

There are lots of sudden dynamic changes.
Extremes of dynamics are used on every instrument.

Next Question: What is the name of the melody played by the live guitar in electric counterpoint?
Reply 44
Original post by lizz-ie
Next Question: What is the name of the melody played by the live guitar in electric counterpoint?

Resultant Melody.

What is unusual about the orchestra used by Mozart for Symphony No. 40 compared to the standard Classical orchestra of the time?
Reply 45
Original post by ColUWill
Resultant Melody.

What is unusual about the orchestra used by Mozart for Symphony No. 40 compared to the standard Classical orchestra of the time?

It doesn't use trumpets and timpani. It is also a larger orchestra than a standard classical one.

Describe the tonality and harmony in Yiri.
(edited 11 years ago)
In all the practice papers I have done (about 5), the only pieces that haven't come up are Bernstein, Yiri and Capercaillie. I know I can't rely on revising those more than the others but it could be any of those 3 seeing as they haven't come up at all!
Reply 47
Original post by belladalton
In all the practice papers I have done (about 5), the only pieces that haven't come up are Bernstein, Yiri and Capercaillie. I know I can't rely on revising those more than the others but it could be any of those 3 seeing as they haven't come up at all!

Well, there's only been one real paper that has been sat (July 2011), and it had all three of those pieces in. Notably absent from it however was Chopin's Prelude, Electric Counterpoint, Grace and Rag Desh, only in the first 8 questions though. I don't think revising some more than others is a good tactic, because we just don't know what'll come up, however those 4 are probable, keep that in mind.
Reply 48
Original post by lizz-ie
It doesn't use trumpets and timpani. It is also a larger orchestra than a standard classical one.

There are no chords in Yiri the melody lines are accompanied by the drums, a pentatonic scale is used.

What is the chord structure called in all blues and what are these chords?
Original post by lizz-ie

Tonality: It is roughly in Gflat major, the balaphons have short patterns which emphasis Gflat and Dflat which are the tonic and the dominant in Gflat major.
Harmony: The voices are in unison (mostly) and the Balaphons are in octaves.

Give two features of minimalist music.
Reply 50
Original post by Flynni
What is the chord structure called in all blues and what are these chords?

Modified 12 bar blues:

G7 - G7 - G7 - G7
C7- C7 - G7 - G7
D7#9 - Eb7#9 D7#9 - G7 - G7
Reply 51
Original post by gmseahorse
Tonality: It is roughly in Gflat major, the balaphons have short patterns which emphasis Gflat and Dflat which are the tonic and the dominant in Gflat major.
Harmony: The voices are in unison (mostly) and the Balaphons are in octaves.

Give two features of minimalist music.

phase shifting, augmentation, diminution, repitions, static harmony and note addition.

On the Raindrop Prelude score what does the marking "ped" mean?
Reply 52
Original post by Flynni
phase shifting, augmentation, diminution, repitions, static harmony and note addition.

On the Raindrop Prelude score what does the marking "ped" mean?

Use the sustained pedal? Is that right? :biggrin:
Reply 53
Use the sustained pedal? Is that right? :biggrin:

yes, you get to ask the question now!
Reply 54
Instrumental techniques used in All Blues? :smile:
Reply 55
Yes it is (: which is the pedal on the right hand side
Reply 56
Instrumental techniques used in All Blues? :smile:

The trumpet is muted in the head? the piano comps the cords during the solos, also uses chord voicing which is changing the order of the notes in the chords. Drum kit uses brushes in the intro, snare drum plays syncopated pattern adn cymbals keep the beat :smile: If that's what you meant?

(sorry if someone posts before me, my computer's slow and doesn't bring stuff up when i refresh)
Reply 57
Original post by Flynni
Yes it is (: which is the pedal on the right hand side

sustain!

In chopin, the music modulates from Db major to C# minor. What is this new key called in relation to the original key?
Reply 58
name two of the folk insturments in the skye waulking song?
Reply 59
enharmonic minor (:

Quick Reply

Latest