The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE music 2012

Scroll to see replies

Awh, the time has almost come. Feelin' quite hormodal. Slightly scared, I just wish I could get a Handel on all of this. It's Barbaroque how much we have to know... Maybe I should just stop droning on, I'm beginning to feel quite fragmented. What I mean to say is good luck everyone, it was sarod of me not to say it until now.
Is capercaille 12/8 or 6/8? Everyone keeps telling me different things.
Reply 162
Original post by Ketchup!
2 questions:
Is an augmented note the same as saying as note is sharpened/Is a diminished note the same as saying a note is flattened
What are whisper effects - used by Buckley in Grace?

Good luck for the exam!

Augmented is where the length of a note is doubled in value, and diminished is where it's halved (augmentation and diminution). However, in chords and intervals, augmented is sharpened and diminished is flattened.
Whisper effects are where the volume of the guitar is adjusted very quickly when it's being played.
12/8.
Reply 164
Original post by astropadro

It's in 12/8 but it sounds like 6/8.
Original post by astropadro

Up until verse 2, it's ambiguous and could be either - at verse 2, voice esteblishes itself as the main rhythmic feature, setting time in 12/8. The drum paty in verse 4 reinforces this.
Hmmmmmmm, someone should grace this discussion with some motifation
Hey is anyone learning all the sargam note names (sa re ma pa...) ? Thanks :smile:
Original post by PippaSmiles96
Up until verse 2, it's ambiguous and could be either - at verse 2, voice esteblishes itself as the main rhythmic feature, setting time in 12/8. The drum paty in verse 4 reinforces this.

How many verses are there?! We were told there are two :'(
Reply 169
Original post by panic king
Hey is anyone learning all the sargam note names (sa re ma pa...) ? Thanks :smile:

Don't take my word as final, but I doubt you will get asked about them, learn the names and groupings of different tals, and instrument names and who plays them instead :smile:
Original post by iCiaran
Don't take my word as final, but I doubt you will get asked about them, learn the names and groupings of different tals, and instrument names and who plays them instead :smile:

Ok :smile: but what do you mean by groupings? I know how many beats there are...
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Clare2012
Do you thinks its too risky not practising essay questions for Chopin and Schoenburg as they are the two essays in the sample paper and 2011 paper (i am only learning Aos1 and 2 for the essay because one of the essays will definately be from there as it says on edexcel website 1 is from AOS1 /2 and 1 fro Aos3/4) ???????????????

As Schoenburg didn't come up in last years paper, definitely learn that. Chopin, know the basics but I'd say it's not too risky not learning that one as it was there last year.

Original post by iCiaran
Good to know you're all confident :tongue:

Sounds cliched but just make sure you read the questions, at the end of the questions there is a small amount of time for you to write, although you will have most likely already finished writing at this point, use the time to read the next questions so that you make the most of the first play through of the extract.

If you don't think it will panic you, at the start of the paper flip to the back and see what the essay questions are, I did this and it helped me, gives you a bit more time to think about the essay in the space where you might otherwise be doing nothing waiting for the next extract, don't do it if you think it may put you off for the listening bit though!

The "Why do you dislike/like this piece" questions are good, just make sure you give a musical reason and it's easy marks.

Don't panic and let it put you off if you miss something from the extract, if you really have no idea just take a guess, it can't hurt right?

Also don't let yourself get pu off if the tape has a mess up in it, I know ours said something along the lines of "You will ow hear the extract for the first time" after it had already been played a couple of times etc...

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated!
Original post by guacamolly
Hmmmmmmm, someone should grace this discussion with some motifation

Haha I agree, I am Miles away from a good mark. ;p
The idea that Rag Desh might come up as an essay really scares me :frown:
Does anyone know how to do a comparisson essay?
Original post by gmseahorse

I think you just put a couple of points for each ie tonality: schoenburg is atonal whereas something's coming is in D major and then another point for each?
Original post by gmseahorse

If you just learn the AOS1's and the AOS2's for Section B, you won't need to worry about Rag Desh. :smile:
It scares me also, Rag Desh definitely has to be the worst one for the essay question!
Reply 176
I hate to be the odd one out, but since revising, Rag Desh, along with AOS1 and AO3 is one of my favourites! there's just so much to write about that isn't too difficult to remember...
Really don't want to answer Schoenberg - hopefully the other question will be from AO1 :smile:

Good Luck to everyone who's sitting tomorrow - just remember that you can sometimes answer the questions before the extract starts - there was a miles davis Q where all but one section could be answered without listening because of the info given in the question!

@gmseahorse I'd write it like an english piece - think of it as contrast and compare. Split paragraphs into sections, do one or two points for each version of Rag Desh stating whether its a similarity of a difference... in contrast.... etc
Reply 177
Original post by panic king
Ok :smile: but what do you mean by groupings? I know how many beats there are...
Thank you :smile:

As in tintal is 4+4+4+4 and Jhaptal is 2+3+2+3 etc, was quite frustrating to learn them all only for them to not come up last year xD

Original post by Mediterrasian
If you just learn the AOS1's and the AOS2's for Section B, you won't need to worry about Rag Desh. :smile:
It scares me also, Rag Desh definitely has to be the worst one for the essay question!

Got to agree with you about Rag Desh being the worst, you could easily have a whole GCSE on Indian music alone, there are a lot of new concepts and names etc...
Original post by iCiaran
As in tintal is 4+4+4+4 and Jhaptal is 2+3+2+3 etc, was quite frustrating to learn them all only for them to not come up last year xD

Ok thank you :smile: will do
Reply 179
What is panning?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending