Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

running injury help!

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, I absolutely love to run and normally get in 5-6 runs a week (distance ranges from 5k-10k) approx 6min per km. I recently upped my mileage and I guess did it too suddenly as I got shin splints. So i've taken a break from running for 10 days. I just ran about 5.6k this evening slowly and didn't have any pain, however when I finished my lower left leg was a little bit swollen. I always warm up and cool down properly, plus i've iced it and taken ibuprofen. Is there any advice you'd give me?

Thanks happy running!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used tiger balm on the area where the pain is, then rest my legs for the rest of the day. I have really bad shin splints as a result of stupidly doing hiit 4 times a week. I find it helps to do any type of running every other week and do a different type of cardio instead, cycling is great.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm resting this week; doing crunches and press-ups. My feet are killing me after 7 days of running for months!

And I too love running! It's like a drug I tell yea
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys - yeah I used to get them too after doing ridiculous amounts of hiit haha, I only do that once or twice a week now :-) Did the tiger balm help? I may invest..

I just went on a run this morning and my shins were fine, even better than yesterday. So i'm not too sure what the problem is. Think i'll get some new running shoes too as mine have seen better days haha
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louthelion)
    thanks guys - yeah I used to get them too after doing ridiculous amounts of hiit haha, I only do that once or twice a week now :-) Did the tiger balm help? I may invest..

I just went on a run this morning and my shins were fine, even better than yesterday. So i'm not too sure what the problem is. Think i'll get some new running shoes too as mine have seen better days haha
    Do you heel strike? That always gives me shin splints.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daviant)
    Do you heel strike? That always gives me shin splints.
    no, I land on my mid foot
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kinda in the same boat but I got it worse stress fracture. Ouch

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 8, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.