The Student Room Group

Studying Maths A2 outside of sixth form?

For A Levels I took Biology, Maths, Chemistry and English Literature. In January I received A for Biology (83/90), B for Chemistry (92/120) and a D for S1 (54/100). For English Literature I received my coursework marks back and managed to receive 38/40 marks which would be A.

Now over the year I have been saying to myself that as soon as the May exams were over, I would drop Maths straight away (didn't like the teachers, workload was too demanding and time consuming, didn't really like the subject) but recently I have taken quite a liking to it. So my question is can I drop Maths in sixth form after the exams, but continue doing it outside of school and sit the exams outside? I just feel that I could learn at my own pace and I could make good use of my free periods. It would also reduce the workload from Maths as it takes up the most time out of all the other subjects.

Can I finish AS in school, drop the subject, then continue doing the A2 units seperately if I decided to?
Reply 1
Technically, you could. But you'd have to acquire all the learning materials, and potentially pay for your own exams?
If you're willing to dedicate yourself to it, then you should go for it!
I think I could dedicate myself to it. I tend to learn far more at home than in school. I can learn at my own pace and make sure I fully understand the topics before moving on.

I have a subscription to LiveMaths.co.uk and that has been extremely helpful. Past papers are everywhere and if need be I can get a tutor.

I just need to know the prices and procedures of doing it if I can do the A2 leisurely/privately.
Reply 3
It'd depend on what exam board you want to do your exams with?
I don't have any experience with this but I'm guessing you would have to contact an exam board, find out the prices, find out the dates of exams and go to that centre to do your exams.
The exam dates will most likely be the same dates as when your college does their exams.
So you will still have to revise for all four subjects around the same time if you plan to do it all in one year?
Reply 4
I don't see any reason why you couldn't. And from experience I can tell you that the books are very good at preparing you for the exams.
Reply 5
You need to find a centre to enter you as an external candidate. I found it cost on average ~£50 per paper. State schools are generally cheapest, anywhere else will rip you off, so just get a list from your LA and call around.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending