Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If I get my MSc from LSE will the subject matter for a job in economic consulting

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have been accepted into LSE for a MSc in Population and Development 2012/13 and I have some questions in regards to job prospects after graduating. I know that LSE is one of the big brand name schools and many large international firms recruit from there, but I fear that the subject I'm studying won't appeal massively to those recruiters. I hope to work within the realm of economic consulting or political risk management but I don't know if a degree in what is essentially demography will look good enough or if I will be equipped with the necessary skills to get the types of jobs I want with such a degree. I was hoping if any of y'all have any insight into my problem or possibly feel the same way I do.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by momoso)
    I have been accepted into LSE for a MSc in Population and Development 2012/13 and I have some questions in regards to job prospects after graduating. I know that LSE is one of the big brand name schools and many large international firms recruit from there, but I fear that the subject I'm studying won't appeal massively to those recruiters. I hope to work within the realm of economic consulting or political risk management but I don't know if a degree in what is essentially demography will look good enough or if I will be equipped with the necessary skills to get the types of jobs I want with such a degree. I was hoping if any of y'all have any insight into my problem or possibly feel the same way I do.
    If you want to get into economic consulting, a MSc in economics is vastly better than your degree. From what I know, economic consulting is very technical and requires quite a good knowledge about economics.

That's about all I can add. I don't know much about the MSc in Pop and Dev nor about political risk management.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, why did you apply to that course if you know you want to do economics?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Out of interest, why did you apply to that course if you know you want to do economics?
    I applied because I have a strong interest in demography and the course is in many ways an economic demography course so it fit all my criteria for being about both demography and economics. I just fear that because it isn't a pure economics course or that it doesn't have economics in the title I will be at a disadvantage when applying for jobs. The course is an equal mix of both quantitative and qualitative course work, so I will have an understanding of economic modeling and things like that but it just isn't pure economics.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I applied because I have a strong interest in demography and the course is in many ways an economic demography course so it fit all my criteria for being about both demography and economics. I just fear that because it isn't a pure economics course or that it doesn't have economics in the title I will be at a disadvantage when applying for jobs. The course is an equal mix of both quantitative and qualitative course work, so I will have an understanding of economic modeling and things like that but it just isn't pure economics.
    You (insert any negative adjective here). Who cares about your strong interest? if you WANT to do economics do economics but don't go to dem and dev and then whine about it. You are putting yourself out of the game in a negative climate where competition for jobs is inbeliable fierce. How smart is that?
    Well, someone will get the job that you won't get because of your clever choice.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, you should do a masters because of the career choices you can get with it. Not how "interesting" it is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does it have any Econometrics, Microeconomics or Macroeconomics in it? If the answer to any of the three is no, then your chances are slim to none I'm afraid. You'd have better prospects doing a straight Msc in another uni, then doing a degree which is quite unrelated.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem - I had an offer for an MSc at LSE (a history programme) but turned it down in favour of a much more quantitative MSc at a slightly-less-prestigious school. I want to go into consulting and I'd rather not go to recruitment events with what is essentially an MA and be the least qualified in a room full of MSc management, finance, economics etc. My preferred institution is still a target so I'll still be in with a shot for interviews, but I'll actually be able to excel at the exercises and go on to the next round instead of flunking.

If you're doing a masters because you want a particular job, go to a different uni and do something relevant top that job. If in doubt about careers, ring up the careers office and ask who does OCR there - don't let prestige blind you

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 8, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.