Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are people who don't keep up to date with current affairs looked down upon?

Announcements Posted on
The News & Current Affairs and Society forums need more moderators! 20-04-2014
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Quite often in conversation I'll hear: "Do you not watch the news/read the papers?" or "How could you not know that?" accompanied by a look of bewilderment or slight disgust, after I have expressed ignorance of a topic that has recently been on the news.

Personally I choose to avoid as much as much of the news media's output as I can without being a complete recluse. I do this because I think getting all my information about the world from profit or politically motivated organisations is insane. The papers will more or less make things up in order to sell a few extra copies where as the TV news has to make everything as exciting or depressing as possible in order to keep people watching their adverts (The BBC also has to get as many viewers as possible to justify the license fee) This leads to all the news being inherently flawed and untrustworthy, yet it is looked down upon to ignore it?

Also, in this country, there seems to be a general agenda of the news media to depress the population as much as possible. If you tune into the national news today then most likely someone in this country will have died in a horrible way, or a few dozen in another country and this will be a major feature. But for the vast majority of the viewers this will not affect their lives in any way nor will they be able to do a single thing about it, yet they will feel depressed for the people featured. If the news is not depressing it will be otherwise completely meaningless, a sex scandal or Justin Bieber has arrived in London or something. Occasionally there will be a feel good story, but most likely it will be stuffed in at the end.

I do want to know about the world but I just think the media is a terrible way to learn about it, while I may miss out on a lot, if it is really momentous or directly affecting me, I will definitely hear about it

A while ago I read about a study which showed console gamers were not in touch with current affairs and so they were thinking about adding news flashes to xbox live and playsation networks in order to "combat" this problem. This was a long time ago and nothing came of it but it showed the general mentality of 'everybody must watch the news'.

So, why do so many people find it absolutely imperative that they must read the paper every morning and the news every night, and why do they tend to treat people who don't as either very weird or morons?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm too ignorant of the world to know they look down on me. It was my new years resolution a couple of years back. To stop reading newspapers and watching the news.

It's true what they say, ignorance is bliss. Of course there was that awkward moment a couple of weeks after the haiti earthquake when they were fundraising in my school and I had no idea what for. Nor did I initially get the joke about watching a picture of haiti on the internet and holding down f11 so that it shakes up and down.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exodus)
    Quite often in conversation I'll hear: "Do you not watch the news/read the papers?" or "How could you not know that?" accompanied by a look of bewilderment or slight disgust, after I have expressed ignorance of a topic that has recently been on the news.

Personally I choose to avoid as much as much of the news media's output as I can without being a complete recluse. I do this because I think getting all my information about the world from profit or politically motivated organisations is insane. The papers will more or less make things up in order to sell a few extra copies where as the TV news has to make everything as exciting or depressing as possible in order to keep people watching their adverts (The BBC also has to get as many viewers as possible to justify the license fee) This leads to all the news being inherently flawed and untrustworthy, yet it is looked down upon to ignore it?

Also, in this country, there seems to be a general agenda of the news media to depress the population as much as possible. If you tune into the national news today then most likely someone in this country will have died in a horrible way, or a few dozen in another country and this will be a major feature. But for the vast majority of the viewers this will not affect their lives in any way nor will they be able to do a single thing about it, yet they will feel depressed for the people featured. If the news is not depressing it will be otherwise completely meaningless, a sex scandal or Justin Bieber has arrived in London or something. Occasionally there will be a feel good story, but most likely it will be stuffed in at the end.

I do want to know about the world but I just think the media is a terrible way to learn about it, while I may miss out on a lot, if it is really momentous or directly affecting me, I will definitely hear about it

A while ago I read about a study which showed console gamers were not in touch with current affairs and so they were thinking about adding news flashes to xbox live and playsation networks in order to "combat" this problem. This was a long time ago and nothing came of it but it showed the general mentality of 'everybody must watch the news'.

So, why do so many people find it absolutely imperative that they must read the paper every morning and the news every night, and why do they tend to treat people who don't as either very weird or morons?

Only the lumpen proletariat choose not to keep up to date with events in the world. They will be lead like lambs to the slaughter yet they are the first to complain that the nanny state is trying to tell them what to do
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    Occasionally, the type who do not follow important current affairs are the type to idolise celebrities, their only concern is what dress to wear and have the mental age of a 4 year old. They complain about the cuts in benefits, but two years ago they could not identify the leader of the opposition (before the general election).
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's people like this that neither know nor care about the economical and political state of the nation and the world.

It's funny, the excuse I always hear from these people is "the economy and politicians are so corrupt and hopeless anyways that I don't care."

...somehow I think they're just too lazy to give a **** about the world, and that kind of disgusts me.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    So instead of getting even a slight idea of what is going on (because all newspapers are lying propaganda spinners), you choose to remain completely ignorant?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    The people who are most detrimental to a better society are not the people with ideas different to mine. The detrimental people are the ones with no ideas at all.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    On the contrary, I find that when I say anything about current affairs to a lot of people I know, they reply with "You need to get out more".
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I don't think I have ever been "looked down upon" as you say for not keeping up to date. I do watch the news every couple of days but if there's a story I missed I don't think people really care, just as I wouldn't care if I talked about something on the news someone else hadn't seen

Out of interest, where do you get your "information about the world" if not from the media? I generally find BBC news quite good and whilst they obviously have to be selective about what they cover, it at least gives you an insight into some important issues and events.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    media outlets are what you make them. nobody (very few) blindly watch the news and take everything they hear as law. you have to look at things from different perspectives and form your own judgements. to say you don't watch the news because it's a 'politically motivated propaganda machine' is simply silly imo, would you rather be ignorant about what's going on completely?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't expect people to be experts on what is going on in the world, nor experts on economic terminology. What does annoy me though is the middle class culture of not knowing anything outside school, PS3, TOWIE and twitter. Too many people just don't care about what's going on in the world, it's like they're in some sort of middle class bubble, mollycoddled and clueless, about those who aren't as fortunate, about life in general.

And then these same people will go 'ahh the Labour party put us in this mess' or 'I don't vote because they're all crap' when they don't understand politics at all, they don't understand that there are ethical dilemmas, that there are policy objective conflicts.

Your excuse sounds alright I guess, but you can understand my frustration with these people right?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    I don't expect people to be experts on what is going on in the world, nor experts on economic terminology. What does annoy me though is the middle class culture of not knowing anything outside school, PS3, TOWIE and twitter. Too many people just don't care about what's going on in the world, it's like they're in some sort of middle class bubble, mollycoddled and clueless, about those who aren't as fortunate, about life in general.

And then these same people will go 'ahh the Labour party put us in this mess' or 'I don't vote because they're all crap' when they don't understand politics at all, they don't understand that there are ethical dilemmas, that there are policy objective conflicts.

Your excuse sounds alright I guess, but you can understand my frustration with these people right?
    Lol, I think you will find that most of the people who don't read the news are not middle-class! What class do you think makes up most of the readership of The Telegraph, Times, FT, Guardian etc? Now who do you think makes up the readership of the Sun, Daily Star, Mirror etc?

And I think you'll find that sociology-economic group are MORE likely to support Labour - not more likely to blame them!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I don't like is people holding very strong views about a whole range of issues without ever really taking the time to back them up with evidence (other than the usual, highly contested and anecdotal kind of evidence - "I know a guy who...").

Holding very strong views on, e.g., public policy without taking the time to learn about public policy (and it's very difficult) constitutes irresponsible and seriously condemnable behaviour.

See debates on drug policy, fiscal policy, immigration policy, etc. Full of people who don't take the other side's arguments seriously and who believe their own views are immune to evidence - empirical or otherwise.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Borderline)
    Lol, I think you will find that most of the people who don't read the news are not middle-class! What class do you think makes up most of the readership of The Telegraph, Times, FT, Guardian etc? Now who do you think makes up the readership of the Sun, Daily Star, Mirror etc?

And I think you'll find that sociology-economic group are MORE likely to support Labour - not more likely to blame them!
    I'm not talking about middle aged adults here, I'm talking about kids of middle class parents. I'm talking about mollycoddled teenagers and 20 somethings.

and lol I wasn't trying to say anything about the parties. It's just very normal for an 18 year old girl to say 'labour are so ****' without knowing anything about politics, or the differences between labour and the other main parties.

obviously I know many perfectly good middle class people out there by the way before I'm accused of generalising...
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    I tell you who else is unjustly derided, the prime minister Gordon Brown. Yes, things are tough now, but he'll soon turn it around.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some of the things like celbrity gossip, and what not are pointless and useless drivel used to fill up time.

But without the news you wouldn't know much about politics apart from the leaflets you get through the door when elections are coming up. How would you then be able to make an informed decision based on what the parties have said/done?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 7, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.