The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do we blame morbidly obese people but not depressed people for their condition?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by natalieann1993
Sorry I think we misread each other :tongue:

I meant its a physical cure, gastro band or dieting ect. Whereas depression in mainly dependent on therapies and drugs to change your mind state ect.

I don't think anyone could compare unless they've suffered from both

I agree that you can have physical cures for obesity but you may also need chemicals as provided by drugs and psychological help if there are issues which affect your mental wellbeing.
Reply 141
Perhaps its related to the complexity of depression in contrast to the relatively simple nature of obesity as conditions. Depressed people are generally all different, the reasons for their depression may be fuelled by their own social environment or specific situation. The complexity of the issue is deep and broad, meaning it makes it all the more difficult to solve. In contrast, obesity may still be caused by social conditions, but it is much easier to control and solve in the sense that we know that if you stop eating you will not get bigger. With depression, it is very difficult to understand exactly what to do to stop the problem. This may mean that because people lack sympathy for obese people because, in their eyes, it is their problem that they have brought upon themselves. With depression, it is shrouded in taboo and it is more difficult to judge somebody who is depressed because we don't know about their individual circumstances. It's all a matter of assumption and audience.
Reply 142
Original post by miss_sexy
I've been depressed and people do blame depressed people for their problems too

Agree with this. Often people can't see why someone is depressed and think they should just be able to snap out of it.
Reply 143
I just wish some people could have some empathy towards others, whether obese or depressed..

Original post by ANARCHY__
I have to say, the post I made does not necessarily correlate with what the OP was saying but just pointing out some misconceptions people have about both obesity and depression.

Latest