The Student Room Group

AS Level: Geography vs Chemistry

Poll

Which A level would you recommend?

Which would you choose/recommend and why?

What's the course content like and do you find it interesting/enjoyable?

What are they like compared to GCSE?

My other subjects will be Physics, Maths and Further Maths.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by bobbricks
Which would you choose/recommend and why?

What's the course content like and do you find it interesting/enjoyable?

What are they like compared to GCSE?

My other subjects will be Physics, Maths and Further Maths.

I don't do geography A-level, but I took it at GCSE, and I'm doing chemistry AS at the moment. I always found geography pretty boring, and from what people are saying in my year, there are loads of case studies they need to know, and they have a really big workload for it! I like chemistry - I find it interesting and find all the mechanisms and stuff really quite fun. It's a lot more about being able to understand it and apply your knowledge as opposed to memorisation. But it is a hell of a lot harder than it was at GCSE - especially unit 2. I got an A* at GCSE and found it pretty straightforward, but tbh it feels like a completely different subject at A-level! But in a good way I guess because I definitely want to take it onto A2. :smile:

So yeah, hope that helped a little bit.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I take both and love them both :biggrin:

Geography is my smallest work load!!
Reply 3
I do A2 Geography but only did Chemistry to GCSE. From my own experience and what i've heard from others who have studied both at AS, Chemistry is probably the more respected A level but Geography probably has the easiER (not easy!) content and less workload. With your other subjects, I think you should take serious consideration to a subject other than Chemistry simply down to how difficult it is, even at AS.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Poll added.

Quick Reply

Latest