Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Maintenance loan of £0.00 !!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks,

I wonder whether anyone can help me to understand why on earth i am entitiled to £0.00 maintenance loan from student finance.

I thought that for prospective nursing students there is a non-means tested loan available, but after i went through the application i am eligible for nothing at all.

I am mature/independant student and have no idea how to survive on nhs bursary.

Any ideas why it is £0?

Thank you
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisitza)
    Any ideas why it is £0?
    Thank you
    Do you already have a first degree? That will be the reason for the £0 loan. NHS bursaries are separate, and you should receive a letter about what to do. See http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/3254.aspx
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks,

I wonder whether anyone can help me to understand why on earth i am entitiled to £0.00 maintenance loan from student finance.

I thought that for prospective nursing students there is a non-means tested loan available, but after i went through the application i am eligible for nothing at all.

Any ideas why it is £0?

Thank you
    It's either because: you have a previous degree, or are studying the nursing diploma (as opposed to the degree), which means you aren't eligible for any funding from Student Finance.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you,

I though that would be the case, though, my degree was ages ago and in another country when i was not UK national...

Disaster!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you,

I though that would be the case, though, my degree was ages ago and in another country when i was not UK national...

Disaster!
    As I say, the rules about previous degrees don't apply to NHS bursaries, which pay fees on nursing courses and provide either a non means tested or a means tested bursary depending on course.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pkysam)
    As I say, the rules about previous degrees don't apply to NHS bursaries, which pay fees on nursing courses and provide either a non means tested or a means tested bursary depending on course.
    Thank you,

I know that NHS bursaries are separate (diploma or degree), i was confused about the loan from student finance. Now it is all clear as a water to me.

Thanks again.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks,

Any ideas why it is £0?

Thank you

If you are on a NHS course you are still entitled appx £2300ish from SF, on the website it can't work out that you've done a degree already AND it's NHS course.. I had the same problem, then phoned them. They told me once the application actually goes to a human then you will get confirmation that you are entitled to the reduced loan..
    I hope this helps
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyRJM)
    If you are on a NHS course you are still entitled appx £2300ish from SF, on the website it can't work out that you've done a degree already AND it's NHS course.. I had the same problem, then phoned them. They told me once the application actually goes to a human then you will get confirmation that you are entitled to the reduced loan..
    I hope this helps
    sadly Student Finance make this an incredibly difficult procedure
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyRJM)
    I hope this helps

The same thing happened to me, and when my letter came through it confirmed that I was actually entitled to some moneys, regardless of my previous degree. The automated computer system they use to initially calculate your entitlement is a pile of poo.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Nursing and Midwifery Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.