The Student Room Group

Top 10 gadgets for university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
No idea why people would buy a laptop and Ipad, it should be Desktop and Ipad.

This. At least half of people my age completely overlook desktops for some reason, but they are much faster and (in my opinion) easier and more enjoyable to use than a tiny laptop. Assuming you already have a half decent TV to use as a monitor, you can get a better desktop than you could laptop for the same price.
Oh and Macbook - And if they aren't a top 'gadget', you may wish to tell every single international student I've ever met, because they all have them.
An ethernet cable...
Reply 23
Original post by TheCount.
Oh and Macbook - And if they aren't a top 'gadget', you may wish to tell every single international student I've ever met, because they all have them.

LOL that I got negged six times for mentioning mine. Most people I know at Uni have one of ipad, iphone or MacBooks. Presumably they all deserve a jolly good negging.
Reply 24
Original post by AtomSmasher
This. At least half of people my age completely overlook desktops for some reason, but they are much faster and (in my opinion) easier and more enjoyable to use than a tiny laptop. Assuming you already have a half decent TV to use as a monitor, you can get a better desktop than you could laptop for the same price.

Indeed, if you pay a computer science student £10 you can probably get them to put it together for you as well reducing the cost even more as you can buy the peices.

No reason to buy a USB or external drive either, just store online and download.

The George Forman is a good idea though.

Desktop
Ipad
Phone
George Forman
Reply 25
Original post by viksta1000

1 good laptop

2 reasonably large memory sticks (4-8GB)

1 external hard drive - to store the masses of movies/tv shows you'll watch in your spare time

1 pair of 2.1 (atleast) speakers - i.e the ones with a sub and two satelite speakers - v. handy for hall parties :biggrin:

1 Phone - any will do, Android preferred

1 iPad - very good for storing PDF books instead of buying them (uni books are a rip-off)

1 Printer - there'll be a day when you thank yourself for buying a printer as you print off the last page of your 3000 word essay 7 minutes before the deadline

1 Swiss army knife w/ bottle opener - every student needs a bottle opener :wink:

1 Shoulder Bag

1 HDMI cable - so you can link your laptop to the communal TV to stream 'match-day' and 'movie night'

"1 external hard drive - to store the masses of movies/tv shows you'll watch in your spare time"

Movies eh? :borat:
If your in halls, a door stop! Keep it open and sociable ^_^ , when your in of course.
Reply 27
Original post by nexttime
Does instant mash potato count as a gadget?

and...smart phones, laptops AND ipads? There are some rich students on here.

You don't need to spend an awful lot of money on a decent laptop.
Original post by tinman1
I mentally punch any loser I see wearing them. £300 for headphones? **** off.

Its not a problem for people who can afford to spend £300 on headphones ... Jealous much?
Reply 29
Original post by Forget that
Not in Uni yet, but i'm sure to be taking an extension lead :smile:

Ditto :biggrin:
Here's mine:

Alarm clock

A decent, inexpensive laptop/desktop

A cheap phone/ Substitute alarm clock

A Livescribe Pen. Ridiculously handy little things, especially if you're forgetful or painfully slow when you're taking notes in lectures,

An MP3 with the option to record, just in case your pen runs out of battery :frown:

A decent pair of headphones. Good for watching films at 3AM!

A printer for your room. Don't rely on library printers when you're printing off that essay due in half an hour. It *will* break down!

If you're doing a Literature course, Kindles are surprisingly useful, since most classical literature can be downloaded for free.

Pendrive(s). Some people only need one. People like me, who'd lose their head if it wasn't screwed on, need at least three.

External harddrives. If you have one laptop/desktop throughout your studies in university and it doesn't break down once, then you are *very* lucky indeed.

:colondollar:
Reply 31
Original post by AtomSmasher

The main reason I had for not getting a desktop was purely the fact that it would be a pain to take home, and back for breaks. And I'm sure that's the reason a good proportion of other people give as well.
Original post by dmccririck
Oh... the >£250 that have the same sound quality as some £30 headphones? Every student needs those.

Open up the £30 headphones and then also open up the £250 headphones and check the components for yourself .. I agree you are paying most of the money just for the label but there is also quality to it ... You won't know unless you actually own them
Should be ten things that you don't need to share as sharing stuff in halls generally gets trashed. Oh, Mr George Foreman grill. How I miss thee :ashamed2:

Good laptop - quick and cheap. Doesn't have to be top end but does have to be durable for at least 2 years. Picking one up with a 400-500 budget is very doable. No point taking one into lectures as nobody likes the bellend tapping away/looking at Facebook.

Ethernet cable - provided there's an appropriate socket in your room, you'll thank me for this later.

Good shoulder bag - if it can hold two ring binder folders and close, it's a good size. Can hold groceries, recreational drugs and bottles of spirits.

Decent MP3 player + good headphones that don't fall off your face - for all nighters, flat parties with speakers, days of self loathing etc.

All purpose coat - Can wear out on a casual date, to the shops, to lectures without looking pretentious. Won't make you feel piss wet through during rain.

All purpose trainers - will go with jeans or tracksuit bottoms, depending on your social decency.

Bottle opener - style subjective. Mine happens to be in the shape of a handlebar moustache and doubles as a corkscrew.

Tool set (screwdriver, pliers etc) - just in case something happens to your room. Just in case.

USB stick - invaluable.

Slippers/sandals/shoes - cheap pair for walking around in the communal areas because, to be frank, it's probably a bit of a **** hole.
Original post by limetang
The main reason I had for not getting a desktop was purely the fact that it would be a pain to take home, and back for breaks. And I'm sure that's the reason a good proportion of other people give as well.

Ah, that's true. You can get some very compact desktops though, especially if you build one yourself.
Reply 35
Original post by UnknownPerson
Open up the £30 headphones and then also open up the £250 headphones and check the components for yourself .. I agree you are paying most of the money just for the label but there is also quality to it ... You won't know unless you actually own them

Why not just buy better quality headphones that don't have a silly label then? You can most definitely get better quality headphones for less money than the dr dre ones
Original post by KCosmo
Why not just buy better quality headphones that don't have a silly label then? You can most definitely get better quality headphones for less money than the dr dre ones

Yeh but thats like saying why buy an iPad when you can buy those unbranded £60 cheap chinese tablets which serve the same purpose ...
Reply 37
Original post by zara55
MacBook
Iphone
Ipad
Good shoulder bag
Student rail card
Comfortable shoes
Comfortable but nice trainers
Warm winter coat (esp. in Scotland but probably in most of UK!)
Debit card
Credit card

:smile:
Zara

What was wrong with this list? Why is it being negged so much?

This thread seems to be the usual TSR thing - admit you have some nice things - blazing negs. Claim you can do it all for a fiver plus Tesco points - pos'ed.
Original post by HelenOn
What was wrong with this list? Why is it being negged so much?

This thread seems to be the usual TSR thing - admit you have some nice things - blazing negs. Claim you can do it all for a fiver plus Tesco points - pos'ed.

Agreed ... I am in the same situation .. Typical TSR thing going on
Reply 39
Wouldn't have made it without a one cup filter coffee cone.

Quick Reply

Latest