Laptop
Extension lead
Alarm Clock...
Original post by kaylafrances
1. vibrator
2. vibrator
3. vibrator
4. fridge

You must have either a very small fridge or a huge bucket :tongue:.
Reply 163
Got a bit of a stupid question.

Am I going to be ok taking a 42" TV into halls? I get the feeling I'm not, so will buy a 22" before, but on the off chance it will somehow be ok, that'd be awesome :tongue: Any input guys?
Original post by tinman1
I mentally punch any loser I see wearing them. £300 for headphones? **** off.

£300 for headphones is pretty acceptable in the headphone market, albeit it's getting quite highend.

However £300 for pretty awful headphones... that's another story...
Reply 165
Original post by sw3
laptop or netbook
wallet (to hold rail card / debit card /student id / loyalty card etc!)
phone / smartphone
a printer (can come in useful for printing off past papers / lecture slides, esp if you live far away from the library or uni!)
a music player (useful for long journeys / spare time)
a diary or wall planner (comes in handy planning your time / counting down the days until uni's out)
several extension cables (esp if you have lots of appliances)
a lamp
electrical appliances (kettle/ toaster etc)
pen & paper (plenty off it - this is the only thing you really need)

I am starting uni in septermber and I am curious to find out if the university supplies students with loose sheets of papers like they did at schools?

Many thanks!
:smile:
Original post by Shaz51
I am starting uni in septermber and I am curious to find out if the university supplies students with loose sheets of papers like they did at schools?

Many thanks!

In most cases, absolutely not. You might be lucky and get handouts from some lecturers, though.
Bottle opener
Laptop
Alarm Clock
Pen
Paper
Condoms
Hair Brush/comb
A few long winded text books that you will never fully read
Ipod/Mp3
Mobile phone
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 168
Original post by SoulfulBoy
So you are re-applying to psych and philo while you apply to music college? :tongue: Why don't you just apply to music college then?
I am just curious I hope you don't mind me asking. :tongue:

Sorry I wasn't very clear - I am stopping my psychology and philosophy course in a month or so and I am applying just for music college in September. So I will have a year out while I apply and do my auditions etc :smile:.
Original post by kaylafrances
1. vibrator
2. vibrator
3. vibrator
4. fridge

all girls school? :P
Reply 170
condom
Original post by You Failed
£300 for headphones is pretty acceptable in the headphone market, albeit it's getting quite highend.

However £300 for pretty awful headphones... that's another story...

If you had upto £300 to spend which headphones would you get
Original post by Rakas21
No idea why people would buy a laptop and Ipad, it should be Desktop and Ipad.

So architecture students can work in studio instead of sitting in their room alone :biggrin:

Alarm Clock
Toothbrush
Good speakers
Headset with inbuilt mic if you're a gamer
External HDD
2 4GB memory sticks
Printer (if you're loaded - just keep it a secret or the entire campus will want to print through you...)
iPad
TV
Mobile phone with orange contract, to sell wednesday codes for filmgoers :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 173
Personally:

1. Kindle Dx - not having to take my whole library from Austria to England back is a real live saver. Additionally many of the books I need are freely available in the Kindle Store. The bigger screen makes it also more useable to read PDFs compared to its smaller brother.

2. LiveScribe Smartpen - I am a fairly slow note-taker. So, this is gonna be a life-saver. Records all the lectures and makes them easily replayable by clicking a certain part of my notes. Great for revising as well.

3. (Portable, ie 14" or smaller) Laptop - Not much to say here. This is a must have for me. No use taking a 20" monster to uni.

4. Smartphone - I love my iPhone and could not do without it. I can do almost anything with it. Of course another brand might be just as good. Take whatever you like best.

5. Good calculator - At least if you have Maths courses. Take one you can actually control.

I can't think of anything else right now. A printer might be useful, but that is personally too bulky to take on a plain. Other than that, sturdy shoes, winter coats, bottle openers and all that stuff - not really gadgets in my opinion.

Edit: A good navy blue suit might also be worth bringing. Takes you from the welcome dinner with the provost to the job interview. Also not a gadget though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by UnknownPerson

Grado SR325i.
Original post by Rakas21
No idea why people would buy a laptop and Ipad, it should be Desktop and Ipad.

I don't have an iPad, but from my point of view, I have a "desktop replacement" laptop (weighs like 9kg and has a 17.5" screen) purely because I don't want the hassle of packing up a desktop and moving it every term (when living in college we have to pack ALL our stuff up every 8 weeks and ship it back home) and so if I were to get an iPad, it'd sort of make sense in that respect, and I don't imagine that I'm the only student in this situation.
Original post by UnknownPerson

I think I'd stick with the JVC ones I have now: 6-26,000Hz, 115dB around the ear (swallows mine up cos they're a little small :p: ) ones which cost like £45. They're a bit chunky but the sound quality is awesome.
Reply 177
I would add "WiFi router/access point"
Original post by Lamperouge

[*]A Livescribe Pen. Ridiculously handy little things, especially if you're forgetful or painfully slow when you're taking notes in lectures,

:colondollar:

What's that? Can't get a quick explanation from Google.
Reply 179
isnt an livescribe pen also called an echo pen?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending