Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Macbook Air Overheating

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a 3 month old 13" mba, don't really use it for anything other than browsing, word processing and watching movies.

The problem is it overheats enormously when its on for more than half an hour. It has actually been too hot to touch on occasion...

Is there something wrong, or is there anything I can do to cool it down a bit?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stop wasting money and get a a windows ha ha

I should think something is wrong take it back to the apple store and have them have a look its still in warrenty so shouldent cost you
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AeroLB)
    I have a 3 month old 13" mba, don't really use it for anything other than browsing, word processing and watching movies.

The problem is it overheats enormously when its on for more than half an hour. It has actually been too hot to touch on occasion...

Is there something wrong, or is there anything I can do to cool it down a bit?
    Hi,

Yeah, your MacBook Air will run hot if you are using it to watch YouTube videos or sites that use Flash.

It will also get hot if you use it on your bed or fabrics, that will block the air intake (which is behind the hinge of the screen), or if where you use it is particularly dusty.

If the problem continues, take it into the Apple Store. You can find your nearest Apple Store here. Book an appointment at the Genius Bar, and they will happily help you out. They will also be able to check out the logs of your Mac and see if it has been getting hotter than it should.

If they do find a problem, then they will repair it free of charge - it is still under its one year warranty. They're very good about looking after customers at Apple.

Let us know how you get on.

Mark
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markisanark)
    Hi,

Yeah, your MacBook Air will run hot if you are using it to watch YouTube videos or sites that use Flash.

It will also get hot if you use it on your bed or fabrics, that will block the air intake (which is behind the hinge of the screen), or if where you use it is particularly dusty.

If the problem continues, take it into the Apple Store. You can find your nearest Apple Store here. Book an appointment at the Genius Bar, and they will happily help you out. They will also be able to check out the logs of your Mac and see if it has been getting hotter than it should.

If they do find a problem, then they will repair it free of charge - it is still under its one year warranty. They're very good about looking after customers at Apple.

Let us know how you get on.

Mark
    Thanks! I may do if it gets worse I think. I also have a Speck plastic cover on it, do you think that has something to do with it?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take it back to Apple.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AeroLB)
    Thanks! I may do if it gets worse I think. I also have a Speck plastic cover on it, do you think that has something to do with it?
    It could do, but I would have thought that a Speck case would have adequate ventilation. But hey, lets just see

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 9, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.