Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the best City in the World?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 15-09-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Fox)
    Yes, Istanbul is great, but calling it the greatest city of the muslim world is a little bit ... extreme :rolleyes: Don't forget about Cairo, Jakarta, Dubai, Abu Dhabi ...
    Cairo (or perhaps Karachi) is the only other real contender. Dubai and Abu Dhabi aren't really all that great. They're overhyped. Cairo though IS beautiful and great.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gridiron-Gangster)
    Well if you've got a foolproof way of sneaking in and avoiding near-certain death if captured then please let me know as I'd like to come.

As for the second point well it goes without saying but what can we do except hope that one day the Saudi regime will come into the real world and modernise, their human rights record is apalling.

I guess they would argue that restricting numbers is vital especially during the Hajj period where millions of muslims descend on Mecca and year on year people get crushed to death etc in stampedes. But yeah I don't buy into the notion of banning anyone from entering such and such a place on the grounds of their religion/creed/race/nationality/sexual orientation etc. But hey that's just me.
    Haven't worked it out yet, but muslims from all over the world can enter Mecca. A journalist writing for the German DIE ZEIT once did that - she is of Turkish descent but not a muslim and doesn't speak Arab either. What she needed was a proof of "her" German mosque stating that she is a muslim, then she booked an organised travel to Mecca. You need to be familiar with muslim traditions and know the most important Arab collocations and prayers, that's it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Hong Kong, New York and London.

I thought NYC was a bit overrated really. Had a good time but wouldn't go back. I loved Hong Kong though, I was really impressed and I'd love to visit again. London is a pretty cool city but not somewhere I'd go for a 'holiday', bit too close to home!

Other cities I've been to quite recently - Amsterdam (overrated IMO but still quite cool. I thought the Red Light District was horrible and I don't smoke weed though haha), Brussels (loved it a surprising amount, I'd like to live there tbh), Rome (lovely food, lots of interesting museums/sites)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)

I thought NYC was a bit overrated really. Had a good time but wouldn't go back. I loved Hong Kong though, I was really impressed and I'd love to visit again. London is a pretty cool city but not somewhere I'd go for a 'holiday', bit too close to home!

Other cities I've been to quite recently - Amsterdam (overrated IMO but still quite cool. I thought the Red Light District was horrible and I don't smoke weed though haha), Brussels (loved it a surprising amount, I'd like to live there tbh), Rome (lovely food, lots of interesting museums/sites)
    Agree totally about Rome - it's really fab, beautiful views, lovely food, fascinating history. Hong Kong is also great!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I will defo say Paris !!!

But between the cities you have indicated, New York is amazing .. Especially for Christmas
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gibraltar
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Perth, Western Australia is an amazing city with loads to do.
    Paris is beautiful and is full of culture.
    Berlin is incredible.
    Stockholm is pretty cool.
    Siena is beautiful.

I've never been to Tokyo or Hong Kong, but New York and London are both fantastic. Although I'm probably biased towards London, New York is just so amazing - so much to do and see.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't too fond of New York City to be honest. That's not to say it doesn't rank up there with London, but as others have iterated, it was just a lot less than it's made out to be.

Paris on the other hand is a veritable Paradise. Riding the velib by the Musée d'Orsay at night. It's like every square inch of Paris is designed to be beautiful, far more so than my own home city of London.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)

I get the impression NYC being overrated tbf, i presume its just hundreds of tall buildings and nothing else! I supposed central park livens the city up a bit? :cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    London, NYC and Rio
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WNB)
    I get the impression NYC being overrated tbf, i presume its just hundreds of tall buildings and nothing else! I supposed central park livens the city up a bit? :cool:
    you presume wrong. NYC is huge, full of culture, full of everything you can imagine. That's what's so good about it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    you presume wrong. NYC is huge, full of culture, full of everything you can imagine. That's what's so good about it.
    The Metropolitan museums and the Gugg are just awesome for example.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Found NYC a bit over rated too... not that it wasn't good but it was a bit of a let down. The atmosphere seemed pretty oppressive too
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    London is my favourite, followed by Amsterdam.

I found Paris to be a bit overrated tbh.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    San Francisco
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Grimsby.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow!!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    London!!!!!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Abu Dhabi and Dubai

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 31, 2012
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.