The Student Room Group

Is Cambridge elitist?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Eboracum
If 7% of students in the country go to private schools, then in theory (although I'm not calling for absolute implementation of this policy) then 7% of Oxbridge should be private school.

This is a silly statistic that the Guardian keeps spouting around interview time. 7% of students in the country are privately educated but the proportion among applicants is closer to the 30% figure actually accepted.

When I hear of really clever state school kids being turned away from Oxbridge, something has to be done.

Oxford and Cambridge have limited space - I doubt the number of 'sufficiently clever' people in Britain is exactly the number of students they accept. Also, what is 'really clever'? Many people can be impressive on paper but fail to shine at interview or appear otherwise unteachable. This applies to both private schoolers and state schoolers.

I'm not doubting private school education is better. But that must be taken into consideration during the application process.

Positive discrimination? Tackle the problem (state education) rather than the symptoms. As for your concern, it is already considered: look at this on the Cambridge website (specifically 1.4.3). You'll see that your school makes a sizeable difference to how they perceive your GCSE grades, but not on the ridiculous scale you're suggesting - "Oxbridge should be for state schoolers".

I completely agree with this comment which pretty much summarises the rational response to the rest of this argument:

Original post by TimmonaPortella
That's why Oxbridge interview them and test them as individuals, rather than taking the utterly stupid step of judging them purely upon what kind of education they've come from.
Original post by Sarah1313
Hmmm well explain how my public school brother met the queen this week due to his grades? and most of his friends from our neighboring grammar school ended up going to poly's?
Some uni's will prefer public schools as they have had to work harder for their grades.

Are school's like Eton and Harrow in the UK. State funded schools are called States school's and comprise of most Grammar, most Comprehensive, some Voluntary Aided, Some Faith Schools ect. They are under the Local Authority responsibility.

However, well done yo your brother :smile: Was this for GCSEs or A levels???
Original post by The Polymath

3) As for taking into account UMS so heavily, that is not biased against state schools. Their number one aim is to get people who are the BEST at what they do, and their own statistics show that if you have higher UMS, you are FAR more likely to do well on the degree.

Correlation does not equate causation (Iam sure you know).

My point is there at those who have high UMS and are rejected then those who have quite low and are accepted UMS is an important indicator and can be affected by what school you go to especially in exams like Maths when you can train yourself to answer the question to some extent.

Remember in some schools getting an A is an A, they are not too concern amount UMS excluding A2 when it is more important to the A/B grade candidate that wants to get an A*
Original post by hannah60000

My point is there at those who have high UMS and are rejected then those who have quite low and are accepted UMS is an important indicator and can be affected by what school you go to especially in exams like Maths when you can train yourself to answer the question to some extent.

Remember in some schools getting an A is an A, they are not too concern amount UMS excluding A2 when it is more important to the A/B grade candidate that wants to get an A*

I was quoting Cambridge themselves. They performed their own research and said something about "students with x%+ are far more likely to get this result" etc. and that it would therefore play an admittedly important role in decisions processes. They actually rank and compare students by UMS marks and point scores using different formulae, so they really do play a major part in an application.

Obviously they take your school into account though! It's just that there is a point where you have to stop taking things into account if you want to admit students. There's no way they'd admit someone who had straight Es due to not having any time to work, as the student simply wouldn't be able to pass. In the same way, they try to make things fair through adjustment, but also unashamedly litist so that they end up with the best students.
Reply 124

Except that Cambridge have shown that degree results are not affected by school type or background and that no one type does better in their degree for the same UMS. UMS is the best predictor of success. There are huge numbers of private school pupils rejected with high grades just as there are exceptional state school pupils who don't get in. Usually this is for the most competitive subjects where people simply underestimate how difficult it is to get in.

STEP exams are used for maths by Cambridge precisely because they are so difficult that only gifted Rather than merely well taught mathematicians can do well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 125
Original post by Bodgy
Places at Oxford and Cambridge should be reserved for state schoolers. This is equal opportunities? Private schools don't reinvent children - the grades they come out with are their own. They can't be blamed for their parents' wealth or their willingness to work.

First time I've heard someone propose positive discrimination. You make us state schoolers sound silly. :mmm:

Thank you for this! So many people assume that if you get good grades at a private school you're only getting them because of the school. Personally, I'm at a private school but I'm on 80% scholarship and I am in no way posh or rich. I've worked very hard for my grades and it's not down to my school! Obviously I will have had some better teaching than state schools, but there are state schools who will have had better teaching than me so I think it evens out.

Encouraging state school applicants to apply is definitely a good thing though - a lot of them wouldn't even have thought of it despite being able and they should be encouraged to reach their potential :smile:
In terms of education, of course they are going to, and should, take the best students. That's regardless of background.
Their admissions system isn't (they just pick the brightest at that point in time). There is a higher percentage of toffs there than in most places though, but it is still a minority.
Original post by The Polymath
I was quoting Cambridge themselves. They performed their own research and said something about "students with x%+ are far more likely to get this result" etc. and that it would therefore play an admittedly important role in decisions processes. They actually rank and compare students by UMS marks and point scores using different formulae, so they really do play a major part in an application.

Obviously they take your school into account though! It's just that there is a point where you have to stop taking things into account if you want to admit students. There's no way they'd admit someone who had straight Es due to not having any time to work, as the student simply wouldn't be able to pass. In the same way, they try to make things fair through adjustment, but also unashamedly litist so that they end up with the best students.

Yes I am aware of this, I have read them.
I am just saying as someone with not extremely high UMS scores who got an offer, there must be other factors involved in the selection process UMS is defiantly key, but perhaps not the end all be all when it comes to offer making. As people with not so amazing UMS get offers, while other with awesome UMS scores get rejected. That is why I said what I said.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Colmans
Except that Cambridge have shown that degree results are not affected by school type or background and that no one type does better in their degree for the same UMS. UMS is the best predictor of success. There are huge numbers of private school pupils rejected with high grades just as there are exceptional state school pupils who don't get in. Usually this is for the most competitive subjects where people simply underestimate how difficult it is to get in.

STEP exams are used for maths by Cambridge precisely because they are so difficult that only gifted Rather than merely well taught mathematicians can do well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I know, but I was referring to on average those with high UMS getting offers, I was pointing out this is not always the case. I was not referring to the relationship between UMS scores and Undergraduate degree performance.
Reply 130
Yes I know, but I was referring to on average those with high UMS getting offers, I was pointing out this is not always the case. I was not referring to the relationship between UMS scores and Undergraduate degree performance.

If you mean Cambridge take context into account then I agree. But they don't discriminate for or against any social class or state v private school. They look to see if you have gained good uMS in the presence of genuine disadvantage such as a very poor school or difficult personal circumstances. They have shown that outside of marked disadvantage UMS are a reliable way of assessing candidates.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Joinedup
Seems to be a question about whether op'll be socially excluded / made to feel uncomfortable if they get in rather than the admission stats.

Yes. If you come from a state school, and you want a nice social life at your university then Russell Group universities are better avoided. Sad but true.
Original post by Jacob :)
I ment are the students stuck up?

Along with Oxford it's usually named the best university in the world, so of course there are gonna be stuck up students.
Reply 133
Original post by JamesTheCool
Yes. If you come from a state school, and you want a nice social life at your university then Russell Group universities are better avoided. Sad but true.

63% of students at Cambridge are from state schools and none of them manage to have a nice social life? Whereas 60-65% come from state schools at Bristol, Durham, UCL & Imperial which makes such a difference.

No.
Reply 135

Please don't talk about stuff when you clearly have no idea.

Yes, there are a minority of unpleasant people, but when you can go out with 80% of your college yeargroup and have a good time who cares about those people?
Most people on the studentroom come from a middle class/rich/privately educated background anyway, so they can't see the snobbery/elitism like normal people would see. My friend who is from a common background has been at state schools her whole life was treated so rudely and looked down upon by other students at her interview. Doesn't sound like somewhere I'd want to be.
Original post by snikutsmullac
Most people on the studentroom come from a middle class/rich/privately educated background anyway, so they can't see the snobbery/elitism like normal people would see. My friend who is from a common background has been at state schools her whole life was treated so rudely and looked down upon by other students at her interview. Doesn't sound like somewhere I'd want to be.

This is just rubbish.

There are rude, arrogant and judgemental people in every walk of life, who are rich or poor, "common" or state or independently schooled. It is just as likely that these individuals were anxious before an interview or perhaps very shy.

Anybody at Cambridge will tell you nobody is interested in your background. I am constantly amazed at the prejudice & sweeping accusations made by those who think judging people by their parents' money or job or class is acceptable. Its no more OK if you think they are richer than you than "more common" (dreadful phrase).
Original post by Colmans
This is just rubbish.

There are rude, arrogant and judgemental people in every walk of life, who are rich or poor, "common" or state or independently schooled. It is just as likely that these individuals were anxious before an interview or perhaps very shy.

Anybody at Cambridge will tell you nobody is interested in your background. I am constantly amazed at the prejudice & sweeping accusations made by those who think judging people by their parents' money or job or class is acceptable. Its no more OK if you think they are richer than you than "more common" (dreadful phrase).

The girl wasn't really shy, because she had no problem talking to the other snooty girls in the waiting room.

I can only go on what people tell me.
Only academically.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending