Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Stereotypes

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do all modern stereotypes come from the media hype of something that doesn't happen very often into something that is very common?

Were there stereotypes before news, film and tv?

What stereotypes have you never found to be true? This is TSR so I'm guessing the british teen stereotype of us going out and getting hammered every weekend and ending up getting (someone) pregnant and with STIs doesn't apply to many of us.

An what stereotypes have to found to be accurate?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say necessarily from the media, but it sure helps perpetuate them in copious amounts *cough*Hollywood*cough*, which leads to gullible people recycling them.

Course there were stereotypes before mass media, through word of mouth.

0 stereotypes are true or accurate, everybody is an individual first and foremost. Stereotypes arise from hasty generalisations from a small, tiny, significant, large etc portion of whichever group is being stereotyped, but never as a whole, why? Because its impossible, as no body is ever truly identical to another person, not even monozygotic twins raised by the same parents.

For e.g., I'm of Chinese descent, what do people expect me to be? Short, good at maths, I'm 6'1" and got a U in AS Maths.

But alas most people are dumb and can only see people through easy and simple mental catergorisations, so what can you do.

This is what I would do to stereotypes.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    An what stereotypes have to found to be accurate?
    Depends what you classify as a 'stereotype'. I.e would the huge obesity problem in the USA and Polynesia be a stereotype or a fact?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaron_xyz)
    For e.g., I'm of Chinese descent, what do people expect me to be? Short, good at maths, I'm 6'1" and got a U in AS Maths.
    Chinese are typically short and on an average better at maths than other ethnicity. You can't blame people for having preconceived thoughts about you. You can attempt to act all enlightened but if someone asked you to describe the average American, your opinion would be based on stereotypes. We all have preconceived thoughts.

(Original post by No Man)
    Depends what you classify as a 'stereotype'. I.e would the huge obesity problem in the USA and Polynesia be a stereotype or a fact?
    Americans are fat = stereotype
    There is a obesity problem in America = fact
    X percentage of Americans are fat = fact .
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Chinese are typically short
    I'm talking about the stereotype that every Chinese/East Asian is short. And short compared to what? Indonesia? Japan? The Netherlands? The average height worldwide is around 5'7-5'8" for males. There is a wide variation of height across China, from the North where people are on average taller then the South, including variations from rural and urban population, plus diaspora overseas who have a different diet. The simplistic statement "Chinese are typically short" serves no purpose at all but to enforce stereotypes. The spread of height is represented as gaussian distribution, and whilst the population of Chinese in China is on average 5'7" as a whole that by doesn't mean all Chinese are that height and anyone who thinks so has no knowledge of demographics and holds stereotypical beliefs.

on an average better at maths than other ethnicity.
    We're talking about stereotypes here, and I'm talking about the stereotype that every Asian has to be good at math.

You can't blame people for having preconceived thoughts about you.
    Lol, yes I can. If someone frankly believes that I'm somehow lying about my height even when its an objective fact and when I'm right in front of them or that they think I'm good at math just because of my race then they're an idiot and a bigot.

You can attempt to act all enlightened but if someone asked you to describe the average American, your opinion would be based on stereotypes. We all have preconceived thoughts.
    I'm the one whos trying to act enlighted? Just look at your arrogant and haughty post where you think you know what my beliefs are without even asking me.

FYI I would say there is no average depiction of an American, as its one of the most diverse countries in the world.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what a stereotype even is?

Short compared to what? Indonesia? Japan? The Netherlands? There is a wide variation of height across China, from the North where people are on average taller then the South, including variations from rural and urban population, plus diaspora overseas who have a different diet. The simplistic statement "Chinese are typically short" serves no purpose at all. The spread of height is represented as gaussian distribution, and whilst the population of Chinese in China is on average 5'7" that by doesn't mean all Chinese are that height and anyone who thinks so has no knowledge of demographics and holds stereotypical beliefs.

We're talking about stereotypes here, and I'm talking about the stereotype that every Asian has to be good at math.

Lol, yes I can. If someone frankly believes that I'm somehow lying about my height even when its an objective fact or that they think I'm good at math just because of my race then they're an idiot.

I'm the one whos trying to act enlighted? Just look at your arrogant and haughty post where you think you know what my beliefs are without even asking me.

FYI I would say there is no average depiction of an American, as its one of the most diverse countries in the world .
    Defined by wikipedia as a popular belief regarding some individuals.

Short compared to the average height of British men obviously considering it's British men who are going to hold this attitude to be true (you're British right?). Indonesian men will have the streotype that Chinese men are tall.

It depends. If someone told me that they're 6'5 on the internet, I wouldn't believe them. Same with having a 13" dick. It can be true but chances are it isn't. You can't blame people for being skeptical. They don't know it's a objective fact. I don't think anyone would doubt someone who says they're **** at maths though.

There you go again being pedantic. What's a human being? Someone with 2 arms and 2 legs? OMG what about phocomelia? Someone with 46 chromosomes? OMG what about those with chromosome abnormalities?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of stereotypes some are bad however some give negative imageslike if your Indian you eat curry 24/7, if your from Somalia you're a pirate,if you're from Kenya/Ethiopia you should be a marathon runner. Rarely there are a few positive ones like if your from Greece you should be some sort of Spartan warrior
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is what I would do to stereotypes.
    He sounded pretty aggressive.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Short compared to the average height of British men obviously considering it's British men who are going to hold this attitude to be true (you're British right?). Indonesian men will have the streotype that Chinese men are tall.

It depends. If someone told me that they're 6'5 on the internet, I wouldn't believe them. Same with having a 13" dick. It can be true but chances are it isn't. You can't blame people for being skeptical. They don't know it's a objective fact. I don't think anyone would doubt someone who says they're **** at maths though.

There you go again being pedantic. What's a human being? Someone with 2 arms and 2 legs? OMG what about phocomelia? Someone with 46 chromosomes? OMG what about those with chromosome abnormalities?
    Well seeing as you mostly skipped over my first paragraph I'm not going to repeat it, just that I'm talking about the stereotype which all Chinese/Asians must be short.

Yes its entirely okay to be sceptical when a man of Chinese descent says they're 6'1" which is well within the standard height range, way too implausible :facepalm2:, I'm not talking even about telling someone on the internet, I'm talking about real life. Regardless I don't care whether you believe me or not, I just said it to back up my point. Where did I even mention 6'5"?

Nice reductio ad ridiculums as well.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrowingNinja)
    Rarely there are a few positive ones like if your from Greece you should be some sort of Spartan warrior
    The stereotype that says you're very attractive if you're Scandinavian or Brazilian.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I fit far too many Scottish stereotypes.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

It depends. If someone told me that they're 6'5 on the internet, why? I know plenty of people taller than this I wouldn't believe them. Same with having a 13" dick. It can be true but chances are it isn't. You can't blame people for being skeptical. They don't know it's a objective fact. I don't think anyone would doubt someone who says they're **** at maths though.

the 13 inch dick though fair enough
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stereotypes are fine I think, they make for good banter. It's also much easier for our brains to fit people into schemas than learn stuff about them from scratch each time. I think you'll know when a stereotype is being used for racism.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick100)
    I fit far too many Scottish stereotypes.
    I fit most except from being ginger
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan3va)
    I fit most except from being ginger
    I fit that one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about the stereotype that every Chinese/East Asian is short.
    There's no such thing. No one thinks that. Stereotypes talk about the average, generalised member of a group and never claim to accurately represt every member of the group.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick100)
    I fit that one.
    unlucky son

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.