The Student Room Group

AQA Government & Politics May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Thinking of doing this next year - can someone please post the questions so I can see if it's something I would be able to do.
Original post by Bord3r
Oh please yes, really don't want one on judges or the judiciary.

January focused very much on the judiciary so I'm hoping that's a sign.
Reply 42
Original post by TheAlienHooker
January focused very much on the judiciary so I'm hoping that's a sign.

i thought it was on the the constitution :s-smilie:
Reply 43
Unit 2!! I'm so nervous, thankfully I didn't retake unit 1, I don't think I would've lasted a minute I'm sure all did well though! :smile:. I think it's going to be Judiciary for 25 marker personally. What about Core Exec? What do you guys think would come up? It can't be Cabinet, I think it'll be something to do with the Civil Service or Individual/Collective responsibility. But I hope it's Sovereignty, that'll be all right.
Reply 44
Unit 2, argh, it's on Monday for me!! I'm cramming because I haven't revised, and oh my god I wish I wasn't cramming... I'm revising 3 topics and leaving out the Parliament topics. What's likely to come up!?

Are we allowed to discuss the Unit 1 exam yesterday yet? It's been 24 hours... How did everyone do (or think they did)? If we're not allowed to discuss it yet, just ignore this question. :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by superclevergirl
Thinking of doing this next year - can someone please post the questions so I can see if it's something I would be able to do.

Focus on whether you'd be interested in the subject matter and consider whether essay-based subjects are for you (sorry for being patronising, you could already be taking loads of essay-based a-levels!), even though for an essay-based subject it's fairly simple. Because even if you look at a question now and think, "Oh my god I can't do this" or "Wow this is easy", you'll be taught how to answer them and prepared thoroughly, so looking at exam questions at this stage won't really give much indication of whether you should take it (about being able to do it - you will, in almost every subject, so long as you work hard!!). Look at the specification and see if it interests you, talk to teachers who teach it and students studying it. :smile:

Hope I made even a tiny amount of sense. :tongue:
Reply 46
Original post by carehow

Are we allowed to discuss the Unit 1 exam yesterday yet? It's been 24 hours... How did everyone do (or think they did)? If we're not allowed to discuss it yet, just ignore this question. :smile:

There's no rule for AQA exams, we can discuss straight after taking it! :wink: That only applies to WJEC/CIE and a couple of others I think!

It went okay for me I think, what topics did you do? :smile:
I'm gutted because I messed up my statistics in the Electoral Systems 10 marker, I said that the UK has had 37 referendums since 1997! :colondollar: That was just a stupid error and I'm hoping the examiner will let me off for it, really want an A on this course xD With any luck I did well on the other sections and they may overlook my moment of madness :K:
Hi, I'm thinking of doing this course (most likely only AS) - I've been looking over the past papers and the specification, and as someone that's quite keen with politics and having done mostly political history in History I think I'd be able to do it by myself.

Would you say it would be possible to learn this to AS on your own?

Thanks
Reply 49
Original post by iamthestig
Hi, I'm thinking of doing this course (most likely only AS) - I've been looking over the past papers and the specification, and as someone that's quite keen with politics and having done mostly political history in History I think I'd be able to do it by myself.

Thanks

I've been self-teaching AS & A2 politics this year along with two other subjects... I guess I can give you an answer on whether it's possible when I get my results? :biggrin:
Original post by HeyyImRyan
I've been self-teaching AS & A2 politics this year along with two other subjects... I guess I can give you an answer on whether it's possible when I get my results? :biggrin:

Haha :biggrin:
Reply 51

Thanks

It's possible but not recommended. A huge part of politics is exam technique, and a good way to learn is by doing past papers, having them marked and constructively criticised then learning from that. So long as you have a way to do that, it's all good. Nothing beats being in a class with a teacher who knows what they're doing, though.
Does anyone have any extra notes on the Judiciary? :smile:
Original post by carehow
It's possible but not recommended. A huge part of politics is exam technique, and a good way to learn is by doing past papers, having them marked and constructively criticised then learning from that. So long as you have a way to do that, it's all good. Nothing beats being in a class with a teacher who knows what they're doing, though.

I was looking at some of the exemplar materials and I noticed the style of answering was quite similar to History just with some more specific terminology. I think my History teacher used to be a politics teacher, I think she'd be happy to look over stuff.
Reply 54
I was looking at some of the exemplar materials and I noticed the style of answering was quite similar to History just with some more specific terminology. I think my History teacher used to be a politics teacher, I think she'd be happy to look over stuff.

In that case, go for it. :smile: But just make sure you have someone to check over past papers and work, so you don't get your exam technique horribly wrong!

Yeah, I taught myself Unit 1, questions 1 and 4 and it was easy. I've just opened unit 2 book and have till Monday to teach myself everything... Hopefully it'll be fine though, unit 2 is more taxing though by the looks of it so maybe I should have given myself longer!

For those interested, May 2012, 25 marks essentially asked:
Question 1: Explain different voting models, long term and short term.
Question 4: Explain factors affecting pressure group success!
The definition for q1 was De-alingment, for question 4 it was: Social movement.
Reply 56
Can someone help me find the Unit 2 past paper questions? I'm mostly bothered about Parliament and The pm and core executive chapter. Thank you!
Reply 57
I meant January 2012 Unit 2 past paper... :colondollar:
Original post by ellie_k73
I meant January 2012 Unit 2 past paper... :colondollar:

I haven't been able to find it anywhere! I'm a private candidate and don't have a teacher to ask :frown:

If you do get hold of it is there any chance you could pass it on please? :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by halfbaked20
I haven't been able to find it anywhere! I'm a private candidate and don't have a teacher to ask :frown:

If you do get hold of it is there any chance you could pass it on please? :smile:

Of course, I'll try! Can you please pass it on to me aswell, just incase you got hold of it :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending