The Student Room Group

A/A* students, What's your secret?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
when I did my GCSE's I did spend all of study leave revising, and would work really solidly the day before the exam and make sure I knew everything really thoroughly. The best advice really is to go over it until you feel confident you know it - if you feel shaky on an area, look over it until you understand it and would be able to explain it someone else.
Reply 41
I'm probably on my own with this one, but i get near enough straight a*'s through intense cramming from revision guides and then past papers the day before the exam. I don't make notes, I just re-read the revision guide until every bit of info is in my head, which I guess is pretty time-consuming but very effective.

Also revising with a "revision buddy," I find extremely helpful. You reinforce knowledge by teaching them, and you understand and learn from them teaching you too.
I did last minute revision... literally the night before.... but i made sure that i UNDERSTAND what I'm reading... x
Reply 43
Make notes from your class work you've hopefully been doing all year and text books/revision guides etc....
Learn and make sure you understand everything in your notes
Do every single past paper, mark them, add mistakes to your notes.
Learn and make sure you understand everything in your notes.

That's what I do and I do pretty well.

Oh, and being naturally intelligent sure does help.
Cram like crazy! CGP revision guides have also saved my life on several occasions.
Original post by OwenFerny
It's a good idea to have goals, i.e. 'I want to go to Oxford, so I need to work very hard to get those grades or I will not make it.' Motivational videos are quite good too, I find this one particularly inspiring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fsm-QbN9r8&feature=related Get motivated. It won't seem like a chore to revise because its all leading towards something. Good luck.

Note: I got Bs at GCSE, then AAB at A level, mainly because I had motivation to do well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaIvk1cSyG8
That's my favourite motivation video^
I came across this thread because of the 'popular posts' box on the right.

There's no secret. There's not really any such thing as 'naturally smart'. I've seen friends who seemed like geniuses burn out and get Cs, I've seen middle of the road friends apply themselves and come out with the very best grades.

I recently read a great book called "Bounce: How Champions are Made" (amazon like here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bounce-How-Champions-are-Made/dp/000735052X )

Its conclusion is that the achievers seem to be those who BELIEVE they can achieve, and are willing to put in the hours to attain their goals. As someone here said earlier, motivation is an essential element.

You can revise for hours, but if you don't want to be doing it, or are doing it distractedly it's going to help you very little. Small amounts of focussed, detailed, motivated revision are, in my opinion, far far more useful than hours of tedious, mindless work where you can only think about your Xbox or new girlfriend.

Even if you don't get the results you don't want this time, use the feeling of letting yourself down to spur yourself on next time. Do NOT let it make you think that you are not naturally clever, and can never achieve. The human mind is an incredible thing, and you can achieve so so much with just a small amount of effort and self belief.

So what if you don't get As. Learn from it, get them next time. Never doubt yourself.
Reply 47
There's no secret - just HARD WORK! (which probably isn't what you want to hear)

Personally, I use the specification and revision guide/textbook to make detailed notes on everything. As I'm going along, I make my own questions to test myself on everything. I make sure that this is all done around a month before exams so that I have time to go over stuff I don't understand in more depth. Then, I do all the past papers available about a fortnight before the exams, and I go over anything I get wrong on the exam papers (to polish my exam technique). To make sure it's all structures, I have a revision timetable which tells me what to study every night (~3hrs worth of studying every day). My revision timetables normally start ~2 months before exams start.

Then, the night before the exam, I go over past papers AGAIN and check the specification AGAIN to make sure I know EVERY SINGLE THING! It's worked so far :smile:

Edit: By "worked so far" I mean that I got AAAAB in my AS-Levels last year, and with my exam performance in January this year, I need 50% in Biology, 70% in Chemistry and 77% in Physics this June to get straight As :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by hopingtobeadentist
Wow we can relate completely! And you've got a -1 in ratings just like me as well :P
We should keep in touch, just to see if we actually achieved it :P
What year are you in?

Year 11, that would be great!
Reply 49
I may as well add something here. In year 10 i was constantly getting B's in English, both coursework and exam, i really couldn't stand it in the summer holidays (last august) i became really interested in current affairs and found myself reading the telegraph, the guardian and the comment sections on these websites, so yeah when i got back my english had improved loads, i sat the new spec english exam and got an A* in it...somehow.
I though i may as well share that not sure if it comes to use for anyone i hope it does :smile:
Original post by Mediterrasian
I agree with this 100%. I used to get so many B grades using PEE, so I gave up and used something similar to SECSI and my grades have improved so much where I am now getting almost every single English Lit essay back with an A* grade.

PEE is good, but not good enough.

what is scheme of things and interpretation?
what is scheme of things and interpretation?

Scheme of things is looking at the bigger picture, so like if the evidence you've chosen relates to any main themes for example, or foreshadows anything. Basically, it's looking at the impact it has relating to the whole story of the book/poem.

Interpretation is how you interpret the evidence, however if you want the A* mark, you have to give multiple. So for an example, using the word 'blue' (I'm too tired to think of anything else, sorry haha), it could be interpreted as showing sadness, but it can also be interpreted as showing coldness in the area because it's a cold colour.

If you're doing Caroline Ann Duffy poems, Lord of the Flies, Educating Rita and/or Of Mice and Men and need any help on analysing quotes, feel free to message me. :smile:
What's your secret?

Read this It gives you a step by step guide to everything you need to do to get A*s at GCSE.
Original post by OwenFerny
It's a good idea to have goals, i.e. 'I want to go to Oxford, so I need to work very hard to get those grades or I will not make it.' Motivational videos are quite good too, I find this one particularly inspiring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fsm-QbN9r8&feature=related Get motivated. It won't seem like a chore to revise because its all leading towards something. Good luck.

Note: I got Bs at GCSE, then AAB at A level, mainly because I had motivation to do well.

I love that. Thanks for sharing.
Original post by Chucklefiend
Read this It gives you a step by step guide to everything you need to do to get A*s at GCSE.

I don't really think I want to waste 7 quid on a book that may not even work.
Original post by Mediterrasian
Scheme of things is looking at the bigger picture, so like if the evidence you've chosen relates to any main themes for example, or foreshadows anything. Basically, it's looking at the impact it has relating to the whole story of the book/poem.

Interpretation is how you interpret the evidence, however if you want the A* mark, you have to give multiple. So for an example, using the word 'blue' (I'm too tired to think of anything else, sorry haha), it could be interpreted as showing sadness, but it can also be interpreted as showing coldness in the area because it's a cold colour.

If you're doing Caroline Ann Duffy poems, Lord of the Flies, Educating Rita and/or Of Mice and Men and need any help on analysing quotes, feel free to message me. :smile:

I'll be doing Mice and Men next year, but I still don't understand. Can you give me more examples on the scheme of things? I understand the interpretation, but what can you still give me more examples on that for example for actions, speech etc...
Reply 56
OK, here are the best revision tips you will ever get, honestly, they're worked out from a mixture of experience and research, looking at professional studies:

1. Make notes, but make them SHORT - trigger words only.

2. Don't spend too much time making notes, in themselves they won't get you any marks

3. GET ENOUGH SLEEP!!

4. Make mind maps - no-one likes them, but if you make a good, simple one with everything on it, and memorise it, then draw it on your exam paper, you have your notes in the exam! Your mind remembers pictures better than words!

5. Use colour! Your memory lobe is on the left and right side of your brain, your left side responds to colour and pictures etc, so use both sides!

6. Do LOADS of past papers and GET THEM MARKED - there's no point otherwise!

7. Identify where you're going wrong and FIX IT! Ask your teacher for help.

8. Revise from the syllabus where applicable - they can't ask you it if it's not on there!

9. Be relaxed, stress inhibits your ability to think clearly.

10. Only revise for max. 1 hour slots at a time and have at least ten minute breaks between, otherwise your effectiveness drops.

11. For essay subjects and languages, learn the general mark scheme, the exam board usually publishes them - that way you can give them what they want on a plate without having to actually know everything, so you get full marks by manipulating what you do know to suit them.

I've never dropped a grade in an exam, external or internal and that's how. Hope it helps
Reply 57
You can't really pull an A/A* out of thin air if that's what anyone wants to do.

First of all, you've got to make life easy for yourself. Put in the effort during the year i.e. Responding to feedback from teacher and making well structured notes, so when it comes to sitting down and learning them...really all you've got to do is sit down and learn them.

Once you've done the learning, past papers is what you need really. I can't stress enough how important they are! You may know the stuff, but if you're unfamiliar with the exam format and types of questions, then you really decrease your chances of getting a high grade. Once you've done a past paper, note down your mistakes, add them to your notes and do another one!

Anyway, I really hoped that works for you!

Good luck with all your revision and exams :biggrin:!
I don't really think I want to waste 7 quid on a book that may not even work.

Inconceivable as it may seem, there exist wondrous buildings full of books that you a free to borrow at your convenience. Maybe you've heard of them? They're called libraries. :wink:
To be honest, I think that actually revising too much will have an adverse effect. For example, me and my best friend are practically exactly the same in terms of grades/intellect; for the Year 10 June exams, he started revising for RS about a month before (crazy, I know!) whereas on top of working hard throughout the year, I simply started a week before.

I came out with 49/50; he came out with 41/50. Of course, sometimes it depends on the examiner. Also, if you want straight A*/A grades, you really need to get the highest grade possible on your coursework. This gives you something to fall back on if the exam proves to be difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest