The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 June 18th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Hi guys.. Can someone tell me the assumptions of all the approaches and perspectives please?
Reply 241
Original post by agoetcherian
For compare questions you only need 1 similarity and 1 difference, backed up by examples (2 examples for each point).

I don't know if that's what you're saying in your post (I think it is), because it's quite confusing. You won't get the full marks if you do 2 similarities or 2 differences. For full marks you'll need one of each to show a range.

Oh ok I didn't know you HAVE to have 1 similarity and difference to get full marks, can you tell me a similarity for correlation and self-report method please ? Cus I can only think of differences....

and I am just wondering, but Ella why are you suggesting me to know individual differences when I am doing the research method part of the question ? I thought I can be exempted from any approaches if I choose the research method part of section B ? Not doubting you btw, just want to clarify since I don't want to go in and do the wrong questions hahaha :biggrin: :confused:
Reply 242
Hey,
Someone mentioned before that you can use Yochelson and Samenow for psychodynamic perspective because he used Freudian techniques.
In what context did he use them? and how?
Thank you x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 243
Original post by kanchu
Hi guys.. Can someone tell me the assumptions of all the approaches and perspectives please?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=156876&d=1339617951

I think you will find them all here :smile:

Original post by Mills2
Hey,
Someone mentioned before that you can use Yochelson and Samenow for psychodynamic perspective because he used Freudian techniques.
In what context did he use them? and how?
Thank you x

I am also using Yochleson and Samenow for the psychodynamic prespective and was worried that I had the wrong study :smile:
Original post by kanchu

laaaaazzzzzyyyy

www.holah.co.uk
Reply 246
Original post by Coffeegirl
I am also using Yochleson and Samenow for the psychodynamic prespective and was worried that I had the wrong study :smile:

Well I do think it's right but I can't figure out how I would expand on it.
How does it use Freudian techniques?
Slightly worried :/

Reply 247
Ideas on A2 studies for developmental approach from Forensic or Sport? :smile:
Thanks!

Original post by Mills2
Well I do think it's right but I can't figure out how I would expand on it.
How does it use Freudian techniques?
Slightly worried :/

Because it looked at the criminals childhood fantasies/dreams and conflicts.
Reply 249
On part b question.. The one which says describe two pieces of research. How much detail do you need to give? Do I need to include the aim, procedure etc?
Are there any studies that would fit determinism vs free will debate from AS?
What are all the possible issues that can come up in part B as I struggle on the approaches Q so will definitely be doing issues/debates. If anyone can help I'd be so so grateful! :smile:

Reply 252
Original post by kanchu
On part b question.. The one which says describe two pieces of research. How much detail do you need to give? Do I need to include the aim, procedure etc?

Yeah definitely and the results as well, so when you describe 2 it's 2 marks for each study. You have I state the aim, participants, procedure, results :smile:
Original post by coolclar

free will = milgram, some participants just got up and left.

not sure if this is right, but in dement and kleitman his participants gave up coffee and alcohol as part of the study, these are known to be addictive compounds, so they are free willed to give this up?

determinism = freud, our actions are determined by our mind and subconscious
Original post by kanchu

Just 4 minutes of detail for each study, so yeah aim, procedure, results and possibly conclusion. Just like a brief summary really. :smile:
Reply 255

Deterministic: Maguire as its determined by your genetic make up
Also Piaget and his psychosexual stages
Soft determinism: cognitive approach so maybe Loftus and Palmer

Not sure about Freewill, humanistic approach definitely fits in but don't have any studies for that!
Reply 256
Original post by kanchu

Sorry I meant 4marks for each study!
Original post by bobby135
Oh ok I didn't know you HAVE to have 1 similarity and difference to get full marks, can you tell me a similarity for correlation and self-report method please ? Cus I can only think of differences....

and I am just wondering, but Ella why are you suggesting me to know individual differences when I am doing the research method part of the question ? I thought I can be exempted from any approaches if I choose the research method part of section B ? Not doubting you btw, just want to clarify since I don't want to go in and do the wrong questions hahaha :biggrin: :confused:

The second part wasn't directed at me, but it's because there's nothing in the syllabus that says OCR can't put two approaches. There isn't always going to be a research method in section B. It could be about debates, approaches, perspectives, issues etc. and they can choose any combination (or any two from the same category).

You're not really going to need to know correlation and self-report. That's all part A stuff so I don't think it's the sort of thing to come up in a part b.
Reply 258
Original post by emilynicole
What are all the possible issues that can come up in part B as I struggle on the approaches Q so will definitely be doing issues/debates. If anyone can help I'd be so so grateful! :smile:

Determinism v Freewill
Reductionism v Holism
Nature v nurture
Ethnocentrism
Psychology as a science
Individual v situational explanations
Usefulness of psychological research

Original post by Mills2
Deterministic: Maguire as its determined by your genetic make up
Also Piaget and his psychosexual stages
Soft determinism: cognitive approach so maybe Loftus and Palmer

Not sure about Freewill, humanistic approach definitely fits in but don't have any studies for that!

Piaget didn't do the psychosexual stages... That's Freud.
And I think you've misunderstood Maguire's study. Maguire says that your environment affects your brain activity. It's nothing to do with genetic make up whatsoever, it's brain activity, and even if that's what you meant, Maguire didn't say that your behaviour was due to your brain activity, she in fact said that you brain activity was due to your behaviour. Just because it's physiological, doesn't mean it's deterministic. That's a terrible blanket to use. Examine each research individually, because some fit into more than one approach.
Also, we don't need to mention humanism in our exam. It's not on the syllabus and would just confuse it (and the examiners probably). Unless it was taught to you in your school, directed at answering one of these question, don't use it.

And Loftus and Palmer don't really say anything about determinism, except that change in memory is an unconscious process that we don't realise is happening. There are so many better examples for determinism than that.

Milgram examined free will and determinism in that some people exerted their free will by not going all the way. Also Freud is pretty deterministic, because it says that even we don't know what's going on in our unconscious mind, and we therefore have no control over it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending