The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 June 18th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurag.19
they could give us anything again really
like in a correlation you use self-report... i hope observation doesn't come up, i dont even know what i'd write! :frown:

I hope correlation doesnt come up! :frown: I wouldn't know how to design it!
Original post by Mills2
Ethics
Ecological validity
Reliability
Validity
Longitudinal-snapshot
Quantitative and qualitative data
Control
Sampling

Thank you! I can stop panicking as much now as I know these quite well, just glad there's not one I've never heard of! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by ellasmith
I have that they looked at the criminals childhood conflicts/fantasys and dreams :smile:

That might probably be enough for like 4 marks, after all it is one study! :smile: Thanks for that
I HOPE THIS YEAR it is OBSERVATION!! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
I have a feeling now that OCR will throw us off and not ask us observation, because it's too predictable! urgggh fingers crossed for lab experiment not correlation again.

if we got asked to design a correlational study, does anyone have any advice on how to go about it? x
Original post by Coffeegirl
I hope this year it is observation!!! :d

Me too! I did best on that one when we did mock papers at school :smile:

Well, it's a long story... Basically im at uni now (well just finished) doing my first year of psychology degree ironically. Complete waste of a degree, totally not what I imagined. So I'm moving universities and (hoping) to do law next year.

Can I ask what uni you went to and why was the course bad?
Im going to do criminology with psychology, so its only a minor part for me.
Original post by emilynicole
Me too! I did best on that one when we did mock papers at school :smile:

I KNOW, its sooo much eaier than correlation. Last year was also supposed to be Observation...fingers crossed it is this year ! :smile:
Reply 308
I HOPE THIS YEAR it is OBSERVATION!! :biggrin:

It can't be observations as they are not on the spec! it will either be lab experiments or self reports (in section A)
I hope correlation doesnt come up! :frown: I wouldn't know how to design it!

Exactly how I feel!
Could somebody briefly explain how to do a correlation for section a?
Original post by gfm
It can't be observations as they are not on the spec! it will either be lab experiments or self reports (in section A)

WHAAT??? Isn't it going to be either self report, correlation, observation, or experiment otherwise why we would we have practised observation in class?? :smile:
Original post by AlexandraRose
Can I ask what uni you went to and why was the course bad?
Im going to do criminology with psychology, so its only a minor part for me.

Southampton, psychology just wasn't what I imagined... most people do psychology thinking they will come out with a job in clinical/forensic psychology when it really isn't the case! the PHD (a 4 year research postgraduate course which qualifies you as a chartered psychologist) is EXTREMELY competitive, with mainly oxbridge candidates succeeding. Most psychology graduates end up in human resources, something I did not wish to do.

On top of that, you have to fund a PhD yourself, no government funding!
Reply 312
Original post by AlexandraRose
Exactly how I feel!
Could somebody briefly explain how to do a correlation for section a?

i wouldn't worry much about correlation because they were on jan paper so don't think they would repeat it this soon. Focus more on lab experiments and self reports!
WHAAT??? Isn't it going to be either self report, observation, or experiment otherwise why we would we have practised observation in class?? :smile:

NOT TRUEEEE observations are 1111000000% on the spec!!!
NOT TRUEEEE observations are 1111000000% on the spec!!!

PHEWWW!!! That's what i thought :biggrin:
Reply 315
WHAAT??? Isn't it going to be either self report, correlation, observation, or experiment otherwise why we would we have practised observation in class?? :smile:

I don't know, may be ur teacher is not aware of observations not being on the spec for section A. My teacher is an examiner and in the class we all thought observations would be in the exam but then she explained us that they can't ask us to create a procedure for observations cuz the spec doenst mention it.
Original post by gfm
I don't know, may be ur teacher is not aware of observations not being on the spec for section A. My teacher is an examiner and in the class we all thought observations would be in the exam but then she explained us that they can't ask us to create a procedure for observations cuz the spec doenst mention it.

Oh if that is the case, that truly sucks because Observation is the one i can do with my eyes closed! :frown:
Reply 317
Oh if that is the case, that truly sucks because Observation is the one i can do with my eyes closed! :frown:

Don't worry i'm sure u can do experimetns and self reports as well as observations! just remember to create a research by answerin the following questions:

Who?
where?
when?
what?
how?

Mention any timings, material required, ethics, justify ur sample and sampling technique as well as ur design. Also if u use self reports make sure u mention whther participnats will fill it themselves, will u do it for them and include about 3 examples of questions u would ask them and the type of ratings u would use.
Original post by gfm

Yeah, my teacher noticed a few weeks ago it wasnt included in the spec so he wasnt sure if they were allowed to ask a question on it. :/ But we still went over it just in case, so im not sure.
Original post by gfm
Don't worry i'm sure u can do experimetns and self reports as well as observations! just remember to create a research by answerin the following questions:

Who?
where?
when?
what?
how?

Mention any timings, material required, ethics, justify ur sample and sampling technique as well as ur design. Also if u use self reports make sure u mention whther participnats will fill it themselves, will u do it for them and include about 3 examples of questions u would ask them and the type of ratings u would use.

I CAN do them its just I was more comfortable with observation. Never mind :frown: I have notes where I know which thing to include for which type of design.

Hey, does this mean that we do not need to learn observation as a procedure then? Can we cancel it out? :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending