The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 June 18th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by agoetcherian
I would love the cognitive approach! Through my teacher said that it is perhaps unlikely because examiners are absolutely sick of EVERYONE mentioning Loftus and Palmer in the question about describing studies.

Psychology as a science is one I like too, but there was a question on that in Jan, so it's unlikely. I'm hoping for behaviourism. I really like the studies, and to be honest, it's the approach that I most agree with.

Totally agree with behaviourism being the one i most agree with :smile: and really? aha i wouldnt even use loftus and palmer, i was going to use loftus weapon effect from my crime studies :smile:
Original post by jessplease
Totally agree with behaviourism being the one i most agree with :smile: and really? aha i wouldnt even use loftus and palmer, i was going to use loftus weapon effect from my crime studies :smile:

We read an answer that used Loftus and Pamler as the first study, and Loftus's research into weapon focus as the second piece. Elizabeth Loftus obviously had a really great impact on this guy's life.

Yeah, my teacher used to be an examiner and she said that every time cognitive approach or experimental method came up, Loftus and Palmer would be in nearly every answer.
Reply 102
I think determinism vs free will might come up too? Does anyone know what studies would fall under FREE WILL??? and also holism? x thanks
This has probably been asked already, but how likely do you think it is that section B will have one approach/perspective and one research method? I don't think it says in the spec that it will have one of each, but they've done it every year. What do you guys think?
Original post by Tash107
I think determinism vs free will might come up too? Does anyone know what studies would fall under FREE WILL??? and also holism? x thanks

I know Milgram can be said to have an element of free will, as some participants choose to no longer continue the experiment and walked out.
This has probably been asked already, but how likely do you think it is that section B will have one approach/perspective and one research method? I don't think it says in the spec that it will have one of each, but they've done it every year. What do you guys think?

I've heard that it's likely it will be this way, but there's nothing stopping them doing two of either of them. Which worries me tbh.
Original post by AlexandraRose
I've heard that it's likely it will be this way, but there's nothing stopping them doing two of either of them. Which worries me tbh.

I wouldn't mind if two approaches/perspectives came up. They're more straightforward answers. What worries me is if no approaches come up, then they can ask on just about anything and everything, and they're really open answers.
I wouldn't mind if two approaches/perspectives came up. They're more straightforward answers. What worries me is if no approaches come up, then they can ask on just about anything and everything, and they're really open answers.

Yeah, that's what i'm afraid of.
I'll probably do the approach answer if there is one of each, but i'm still revising debates and methods just in case.
Reply 108
I was told specifically that you don't need to do this. It wastes your time. Try to evaluate two studies in each point, but make sure you mention all three throughout the whole piece.

There just isn't time to write about all three in every point.

This message is probs too late now as I think the exam has passed!

But I did cross-compare three studies in every point, and found it worked as I got a good grade, but then again I did have extra time...
Reply 109
Original post by catsandcocozza
heyy, any chance you've finished this booklet? :smile: x x

I have attached it I think to this message?

Sorry for it being late, been on holiday :smile:

I didn't get round to doing synoptic examples!
Reply 110
Original post by Lollyage
Can someone please tell be the strengths and weaknesses of determinism/free will? It's the only one not covered in the booklet I have :p:
Also, which studies would I use for this? Both AS and A2? I have no clue :p:

Deterministic
-If it's deterministic, controlled conditions are likely to have been used, so the IV has been isolated to measure the effect on the DV, so cause and effect can be inferred
-If it's controlled, it's highly reliable because it can be repeated in the same ways, etc.
-Deterministic means it is reductionist, and therefore simplifies complex human behaviour down to simple phenonemon.
-Low ecological validity, because too controlled and therefore doesn't reflect everyday life situations (ie, natural environment).
-It doesn't have scope for free will and assumes that all behaviour is determined when a person is born and that we don't make decisions ourslelf.

Free Will
-Holistic because it looks at lots of different factors together and not just scientific stuff.
-Noone really has free will because other people contribute to people's decisions as social situations impact our behaviour, etc.

TEND TO USE SOFT/HARD DETERMINISM

SORRY FOR BEING SO ROUGH ROUND THE EDGES..HAVEN'T REVISED THIS YET LOL
For the inferential tests, is chi-square used for all experimental designs (independent measures, matched pairs and repeated measures)? Also, there doesn't seem to be any inferential tests specifically for the matched pairs design?
Original post by Introverted moron
For the inferential tests, is chi-square used for all experimental designs (independent measures, matched pairs and repeated measures)? Also, there doesn't seem to be any inferential tests specifically for the matched pairs design?

Matched pairs is a form of independent measures, so I assume you'd use Mann-Whitney U? I don't actually know the tests yet, but I think it's that.
Reply 113
Original post by Introverted moron

The Chi-square test is used to test for an association for the independent measures design experiment only. :smile:

I have attached a table of all inferential tests to help, which i use during my revision. Happy revising!!!
Original post by laurag.19
!

Thank you so much for posting that. It's a lot more helpful than anything my teacher has given me :smile:
What would you put for strengths and weaknesses of the psychodynamic perspective in terms of explaining behaviour?
Original post by Summer2012
What would you put for strengths and weaknesses of the psychodynamic perspective in terms of explaining behaviour?

Strengths:
Allows us to have a deeper understanding of the influence of the subconscious mind on our behaviour, so it's useful.

Recognises the importance of early relationships, can help in preventing criminal behaviour in the future

Weaknesses:
Case studies are often used - not generalisable

Theories are vague and un-testable - lacks validity

:smile:
Original post by Tash107

Holism I used thigpen and cleckley (looked at a variety of factors before diagnosing her)
and Wikstrom (who looked at individual and situational factors which might impact on people turning to crime)

I'm stuck on free will and determinism too.
Original post by laurag.19
Deterministic
-If it's deterministic, controlled conditions are likely to have been used, so the IV has been isolated to measure the effect on the DV, so cause and effect can be inferred
-If it's controlled, it's highly reliable because it can be repeated in the same ways, etc.
-Deterministic means it is reductionist, and therefore simplifies complex human behaviour down to simple phenonemon.
-Low ecological validity, because too controlled and therefore doesn't reflect everyday life situations (ie, natural environment).
-It doesn't have scope for free will and assumes that all behaviour is determined when a person is born and that we don't make decisions ourslelf.

Free Will
-Holistic because it looks at lots of different factors together and not just scientific stuff.
-Noone really has free will because other people contribute to people's decisions as social situations impact our behaviour, etc.

TEND TO USE SOFT/HARD DETERMINISM

SORRY FOR BEING SO ROUGH ROUND THE EDGES..HAVEN'T REVISED THIS YET LOL

Thank you so much!! Which studies would you use for determinism or free will btw?
What are some free will and determinism studies?! really stuck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending