Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Raj from The Big Bang Theory a good representation of asian guys?

Announcements Posted on
    • 136 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm part asian myself & some of my mates say that I remind them of him
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    .... what kind of a question is that?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought he was indian?
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    not really no
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhandhum)
    I thought he was indian?
    Geography not your strong point then?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep. :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Geography not your strong point then?
    No. I ended up dropping it. Along with history and science.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As much a representation as James Bond is for Brit blokes.

Or Penny is for American girls.

(Bond is British, right?)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Raj is awesome. My favourite character.

Raj: I, hate, trains.
    Sheldon: Don't be absurd, you love trains.
    Raj: Ah, he's right.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. I ended up dropping it. Along with history and science.
    Ok, well in case you're confused, India is in Asia
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pai2502)
    (Bond is British, right?)
    Yup
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Ok, well in case you're confused, India is in Asia
    I looked it up, and it turns out india is a country in south asia. o.o I thought it was it's own place, like scotland. Hmmm, I guess you learn something new every day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I looked it up, and it turns out india is a country in south asia. o.o I thought it was it's own place, like scotland. Hmmm, I guess you learn something new every day.
    What did you actually learn in school and how have you learnt to use a computer? Scotland is a country! To answer the OP, I would say yes to an extent. It stereotypes the characters.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you just taking the **** now? Did you think India was an island? What do you mean by Scotland is it's own place? Scotland is attached to England both physically and politically (as it is part of the UK, for the time being at least).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    One person cannot be a good representation of 3-4 billions of different characters and personnalities.

The answer is obviously no.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is Howard a good representation of Jews or Sheldon a good representation of Physicists?

I can't see many rational Indians getting offended over his portrayal, it is a comedy after all the characters are supposed to be larger than life.

I actually really like the character; the way he can't talk to women except hen drunk but when he's drunk he acts like a douche always makes me laugh
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Are you just taking the **** now? Did you think India was an island? What do you mean by Scotland is it's own place? Scotland is attached to England both physically and politically (as it is part of the UK, for the time being at least).

(Original post by myuranking)
    What did you actually learn in school and how have you learnt to use a computer? Scotland is a country! To answer the OP, I would say yes to an extent. It stereotypes the characters.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT26i
    I apologise to you both, for not knowing much, but please, grow the hell up. So what if a person does not know what places are, or where they are! It's not a bad thing! You just take it as bad, and honestly, that makes you a bad person. I suggest you be the bigger person, and either apologise for being rude to me and offending me, or deal with the consequences to come if you don't.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I apologise to you both, for not knowing much, but please, grow the hell up. So what if a person does not know what places are, or where they are! It's not a bad thing! You just take it as bad, and honestly, that makes you a bad person. I suggest you be the bigger person, and either apologise for being rude to me and offending me, or deal with the consequences to come if you don't.
    Sorry, I didn't mean it to come off as rude, I meant it as a joke. I should have thrown some smilies in there

I still wonder what you meant by "I thought it was it's own place, like scotland" though. Did you not know Asia is a continent?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am mature enough to throw that question out there. I think know it is bad that you do not know India is a country in Asia. India is a fast growing economy that will become a lot more powerful in the next few years. I don't care if you think I am a bad person, you should not be ignorant. What are the consequences anyway?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No wayyyyy! I'm an indian girl and my male cousins are no way looking or acting like that. Raj is just a stereotype dw about it LOL.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 14, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.