Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best Headphones?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I want to buy a pair of headphones with good bass and cost about £100 or $150. I was going to buy these Bose headphones http://www.amazon.com/Bose-47684-Bos...6408485&sr=1-3 but some people are saying the bass isn't too good.

What headphones do you have and would you recommend them? I only want to hear about headphones you have actually listened to. P.s. I'm not a fan of Beats think price to quality wise they're overrated
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your problem is that many headphones which go for 'bass-heavy' are NECESSARILY poor quality - see the worthless fashion item for morons that is Dre Beats. Go for something which covers the ears but isn't bass-heavy, as the depth of the music will be ensured by the noise-cancelling properties but bass-heaviness can still be provided by the music itself.

tl;dr: You don't want headphones to be completely bass-heavy, just CAPABLE of bass-heavy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sennheiser HD25-1 II
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a pair of Denon headphones and the sound quality is very good and the bass is perfect, how it was meant to sound. My model are noise cancelling so are like £200 but there is a non noise cancelling model that's within your budget. Hope this helps
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svpreme)
    Sennheiser HD25-1 II
    100000% yes.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-H...6410383&sr=8-3

- Look pretty good
    - Virtually indestructable
    - Every single part is replaceable
    - Sound quality is extremely good
    - One of the best portable choices imo

I would recommend these to anybody. I have some and they are my pride and joy. I love them .
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you can stretch to the HD25-1 II then they're truly excellent headphones. If not, the Audio Technica ATH M50 are also widely praised headphones and can be found for $150 on amazon if you're buying in the US, the exchange rate isn't as kind in the UK and finding them for £100 is pretty difficult. If you are buying in the UK and want to stick to your £100 budget, the Sony MDR ZX-700 would be my recommendation.

Alternatively, if you really want a lot of bass and don't mind looking a bit "unique" (To put it in a nice way), the Sony MDR XB700 headphones sacrifice some general clarity in exchange to truly monstrous but well defined and controlled bass response, hearing people say they can make your jaw rattle is not uncommon. They're a cheaper and more fun option depending on your priorities.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolve101)
    I have a pair of Denon headphones and the sound quality is very good and the bass is perfect, how it was meant to sound. My model are noise cancelling so are like £200 but there is a non noise cancelling model that's within your budget. Hope this helps
    what are the headphones called?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Your problem is that many headphones which go for 'bass-heavy' are NECESSARILY poor quality - see the worthless fashion item for morons that is Dre Beats. Go for something which covers the ears but isn't bass-heavy, as the depth of the music will be ensured by the noise-cancelling properties but bass-heaviness can still be provided by the music itself.

tl;dr: You don't want headphones to be completely bass-heavy, just CAPABLE of bass-heavy.
    so do you have any suggestions as to what headphones i should buy?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sennheiser give value for money across their whol range. I have HD 205's and they are fantastic. They cost me £40.

I would advise you just to buy whatever Sennheiser costs about £100.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRickyKhanI)
    so do you have any suggestions as to what headphones i should buy?
    Personally I use AKG K450s which are very good, especially for their price.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have the Denon AH-NC800s and they are perfect, never let me down but within your budget I would recommend the AH-D510Rs. Good luck with whatever you eventually choose
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Corsair Vengeance 1300. I have a pair myself and I am really impressed with them. They're comfy and built pretty solid, plus a 2 year warranty. The mix is pretty good and they sound great. Overclockers.co.uk has them for £48.98.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I got Beats by Dr Dre solo HD, they have changed the way i hear music, i love them, the whole song seems so much better
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    VC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones

they're priced at £16, i've recently purchased them and they are amazing. they're very comfortable, the bass is deep, the sound is crisp and clear and their qualtity rivals the likes of Beats by Dre and they cost 10x more.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JVC-HAFX1X-X...8429826&sr=8-1

check out the reviews.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    A three week old thread being bumped to recommend Beats, I are disappoint :unimpressed:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm waiting for the new V-Modas... they look niiceeeeeeeeeee. I had the M80s but they were too uncomfortable and returned them. Hopefully the 100s will be beter.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    I'm waiting for the new V-Modas... they look niiceeeeeeeeeee. I had the M80s but they were too uncomfortable and returned them. Hopefully the 100s will be beter.
    The M100s are shaping up to be lovely headphones, if they can keep the M80's sound signature in an over-ear design they'll be onto a winner. I got my M80s about a week ago and they suit me fine, I can see why some people would have comfort issues though.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The M100s are shaping up to be lovely headphones, if they can keep the M80's sound signature in an over-ear design they'll be onto a winner. I got my M80s about a week ago and they suit me fine, I can see why some people would have comfort issues though.
    I really liked the sound after the burn in and hopefully the M100s sound similar without having to also buy the V Moda amp.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    I really liked the sound after the burn in and hopefully the M100s sound similar without having to also buy the V Moda amp.
    VM are trying to replicate the M80s in an over-ear format as best they can with the M100, so theoretically they should sound similar with the added advantages of the larger drivers/housing. Considering how well the M80s have been received, it sounds like a winning formula. They should sound great straight out of the source, but I personally think an external amp is always an excellent addition to any rig anyway.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The most bass heavy headphones i tried were the Denon AH-D1100. I actually prefered them over my mdr-zx700, ath-es55, hd 448 but they can be a bit too bass heavy. If you have equaliser settings in your media player, you can make them sound very good and more balanced. Otherwise the bass is simply to heavy out of the box and can be quite tiresome. Though they provide excellent noise isolation from the bass and excellant seals these headphones have over your ears. They are probably slightly more bassy than Beats Studios

They are also supremely comfortable, it doesnt treat your ears with nice velvety cushion feel like some bose headphones, but the cups have quite large internal volume to go around your ears completely, no part of your ear touch the earpads/driver so ideal for long listening sessions. The cables are pretty solid to, the 3.5mm adopter has milled alluminium piece attached to it so it can resist fatigues on the soldering caused by bends,

In summery....
    + points..
    Isolation=8.5/10
    Comfort =9/10
    Portability=5/10 (they are not that big for circum aural cans, but they wont fold and dont fit into small bags well
    Mechanical durability= 5/10 (the frames that hold the earcups are made of plastic which are prone to cracks, they wont break easily but needs special care)
    Sound=7.9/10. Heavy bass but lacks refinement. With good EQ it can sound prety good. Otherwise its not very well balanced at all.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 28, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sound and vision threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.