Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

smoking skunk

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on

Ive done something really bad, and have been smoking skunk on average about twice a week for about 4 months. It is really strong and i often overdose on it i.e. have bad experiences.

I have been looking up the effects of skunk and didnt realise it was so dangerous. It says regular users are at risk of psychosis etc.

If I give it up now am I going to get psychosis? Also what do they class as a regular user? Is doing it twice a week regular?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ive done something really bad, and have been smoking skunk on average about twice a week for about 4 months. It is really strong and i often overdose on it i.e. have bad experiences.

I have been looking up the effects of skunk and didnt realise it was so dangerous. It says regular users are at risk of psychosis etc.

If I give it up now am I going to get psychosis? Also what do they class as a regular user? Is doing it twice a week regular?
    If you give up now, no you won't get psychosis.

Twice a week is regular yes, as it is the same sort of interval repeatedly in a relatively short amount of time.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

If you're worried, then quit it.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tip, dont get your drug advice from Frank or any other government propaganda site.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Tip, dont get your drug advice from Frank or any other government propaganda site.
    Tip don't listen to people who say weed is completely safe and isn't bad for you.

"Cannabis can mess with your mind

Cannabis can freak you out - it can cause feelings of anxiety, suspicion, panic and paranoia.
    For people with illnesses such as schizophrenia, cannabis can cause a serious relapse.
    Regular cannabis use is known to be associated with an increase in the risk of later developing psychotic illnesses including schizophrenia; and if you have a family background of mental illness, you may also have an increased risk.
    Cannabis can affect the way the brain works. Regular, heavy use makes it difficult to learn and concentrate and research has linked cannabis use to poor exam results. This is a potentially serious risk if you’re young, when the brain is still developing. People who take a lot of cannabis can also find they lack motivation.
    A recent review of cannabis research published in the British Medical Journal found those driving under the influence of cannabis had nearly double the risk of a crash.
    Cannabis can mess with your body.

Smoking cannabis can make asthma worse, and cause wheezing in non-asthma sufferers.
    It can increase the heart rate and affect blood pressure, which can be especially harmful for those with heart disease.
    It is reported that frequent use of cannabis may affect fertility. It can cut a man's sperm count and can suppress ovulation in women.
    If you’re pregnant, smoking cannabis may increase the risk of your baby being born smaller than expected.
    What is the effect of mixing cannabis and alcohol?

Mixing cannabis with alcohol can have particularly serious consequences - the accident rate is 16 times higher than for cannabis or alcohol alon" - This is the risk page... everything is completely true here.

I'm not anti-herb, I smoke it my self. But it's not safe... Nor is is extremely dangerous. Moderation is the key.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tweaky)
    Tip don't listen to people who say weed is completely safe and isn't bad for you.

"Cannabis can mess with your mind

Cannabis can freak you out - it can cause feelings of anxiety, suspicion, panic and paranoia.
    For people with illnesses such as schizophrenia, cannabis can cause a serious relapse.
    Regular cannabis use is known to be associated with an increase in the risk of later developing psychotic illnesses including schizophrenia; and if you have a family background of mental illness, you may also have an increased risk.
    Cannabis can affect the way the brain works. Regular, heavy use makes it difficult to learn and concentrate and research has linked cannabis use to poor exam results. This is a potentially serious risk if you’re young, when the brain is still developing. People who take a lot of cannabis can also find they lack motivation.
    A recent review of cannabis research published in the British Medical Journal found those driving under the influence of cannabis had nearly double the risk of a crash.
    Cannabis can mess with your body.

Smoking cannabis can make asthma worse, and cause wheezing in non-asthma sufferers.
    It can increase the heart rate and affect blood pressure, which can be especially harmful for those with heart disease.
    It is reported that frequent use of cannabis may affect fertility. It can cut a man's sperm count and can suppress ovulation in women.
    If you’re pregnant, smoking cannabis may increase the risk of your baby being born smaller than expected.

Mixing cannabis with alcohol can have particularly serious consequences - the accident rate is 16 times higher than for cannabis or alcohol alon" - This is the risk page... everything is completely true here.

I'm not anti-herb, I smoke it my self. But it's not safe... Nor is is extremely dangerous. Moderation is the key.
    Oh my dear god there is so much rubbish in there I dont even know where to begin :facepalm:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tip: look into the research yourself, and make decisions based on scientists' views. Frank is a good place to start, but if you don't believe it, you can check it yourself. Definitely stay away from cannabis lovers websites, and their fanboys.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh my dear god there is so much rubbish in there I dont even know where to begin :facepalm:
    Cute... Begin searching the internet for the scientific studies - unbiased one preferably. Yes that means overlooking the bull**** on marijuana.com
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    Tip: look into the research yourself, and make decisions based on scientists' views. Frank is a good place to start, but if you don't believe it, you can check it yourself. Definitely stay away from cannabis lovers websites, and their fanboys.
    Thank you.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enigma.)
    'Government propaganda site' ???

You'd have to be high to believe that Frank is out to get all drug takers.

Don't be so stupid.

Those sites are there for public information on drugs and the health effects associated with them.
    WOW, TSR does have sense. From what I've seen it's full of bull****ters and wannabe experts. Cheers dude
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Short answer yes it can trigger problems such as psychosis, but tbh it sounds like you're just having a bit of a freak out which all cannabis users get from time to time. It can also cause anxiety and what not, quit while you are a head if you are worried about the problems. There is a lot more to life than skunk.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    WOW, TSR does have sense. From what I've seen it's full of bull****ters and wannabe experts. Cheers dude
    No worries.

It actually baffles me how somebody can be so far out of whack that they believe Frank the website is out to get them.

Its just like.... whaaaa? :facepalm2:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you are sensible marijuana is next to harmless, do some actual research.

Yes, that's what happens when you smoke too much. Tip, don't smoke too much.

Tip, if you have a mental health disease, dont take drugs.

There are conflicting views over this, some, mostly older studies show a correlation, others show none. However as cannabis use increased heavily in the 70's and 80's, the number of people diagnosed with mental health diseases remained stable. Also levels of mental illness are no lower in cultures with much lower cannabis use.

So has xbox. Cannabis only makes you a failure if you let it.

Completely wrong, cannabis actually helps asthma sufferers.

There were studies done in the 70's that came to that conclusion, but hasn't been replicated since without using mentally high does.

I call absolute bull**** on that, it makes no sense whatsoever .
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    'Government propaganda site' ???

You'd have to be high to believe that Frank is out to get all drug takers.

Don't be so stupid.

Those sites are there for public information on drugs and the health effects associated with them.
    Frank isn't out to get drug takers. It's just a political website not a scientific one.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    No worries.

It actually baffles me how somebody can be so far out of whack that they believe Frank the website is out to get them.

Its just like.... whaaaa? :facepalm2:
    Because that's obviously what I was saying :facepalm2:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://ndarc.med.unsw.edu.au/resourc...-relationships

Don't do drugs if you have a family history of mental illnesses. Otherwise its pretty safe.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On the other hand of everything a lot of you are saying: I've done alright, smoked bud from year 10 onwards, done well in various exams and have a perfectly normal life at uni, just enjoy green haha.

Yeah i think you can have slight mental effects smoking a lot, as you would being drunk all the time. However it does not induce psychosis on anyone, but people that are already mentally prone to it. That's why i'd never recommend someone with family that have had mental issues to smoke it a lot, could bring up problems.

And no Frank isn't out to get you, it just presents extremely bias opinions, a few of which lack any hard scientific research to back it up. Essentially though, with any substance, moderation is key.

P.s. this is a good video showing Prof Nutt, formally the head of the British governments misuse of drug guidance discussing marijuana use. Once he deemed it reasonable safe, more so than alcohol he was fired. http://www.youtube.c0m/watch?v=bCChf...eature=related
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Frank isn't out to get drug takers. It's just a political website not a scientific one.
    Exactly
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you are sensible marijuana is next to harmless, do some actual research.

Yes, that's what happens when you smoke too much. Tip, don't smoke too much.

Tip, if you have a mental health disease, dont take drugs.

There are conflicting views over this, some, mostly older studies show a correlation, others show none. However as cannabis use increased heavily in the 70's and 80's, the number of people diagnosed with mental health diseases remained stable. Also levels of mental illness are no lower in cultures with much lower cannabis use.

So has xbox. Cannabis only makes you a failure if you let it.

Completely wrong, cannabis actually helps asthma sufferers.

There were studies done in the 70's that came to that conclusion, but hasn't been replicated since without using mentally high does.

I call absolute bull**** on that, it makes no sense whatsoever .
    'Cannabis only makes you a failure if you let it?'

Are you seriously warranting the use of a psychoactive drug with known side effects in both physiological and neurological terms because you dont think you are a failure, even though its common knowledge cannabis is a gateway drug and that drug use and drug addiction can utterly destroy peoples lives?

And why does it not make sense that alcohol and cannabis create a higher accident rate? If you consume both you have slowed all of your reflexes, reaction times and judgement with just alcohol. Then add a psychoactive element to further detach you from reality. And then with all that going on, try controlling half a tonne of steel rolling around at 70 mph. Are you brain dead?

**** dude I'd never get in a car with you. :K:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    'Cannabis only makes you a failure if you let it?'

Are you seriously warranting the use of a psychoactive drug with known side effects in both physiological and neurological terms because you dont think you are a failure, even though its common knowledge cannabis is a gateway drug and that drug use and drug addiction can utterly destroy peoples lives?

And why does it not make sense that alcohol and cannabis create a higher accident rate? If you consume both you have slowed all of your reflexes, reaction times and judgement with just alcohol. Then add a psychoactive element to further detach you from reality. And then with all that going on, try controlling half a tonne of steel rolling around at 70 mph. Are you brain dead?

**** dude I'd never get in a car with you. :K:
    Never driven when im drunk, never driven when im high.

You didn't make it clear at all that you meant the car accident rate, you just said accident rate which isn't the same thing. I still don't believe it though, do you have a source?

The gateway drug thing is also rubbish, theres nothing in cannabis that makes you want to take harder drugs, if cannabis didnt exists people would still use hard drugs. If cannabis is a gateway drug then so is alcohol and caffeine and paracetamol.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.