Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tipping

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    I'm just not going to be coerced into tipping when I go to the US :lol:

Screw those guys, they're not going to force that on me.
    Would you be happy if someone came to the UK and then refused to follow a social norm?
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Would you be happy if someone came to the UK and then refused to follow a social norm?
    I wouldn't have an issue..

:confused:

especially when the 'social norm' in question is a load of tripe.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I tend to ask if waiters if they get to keep their tips because I don't really know how you'd divide up my coupons
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Restaurants: 10-15%
    Taxi Drivers: 50p-£1 (usually just round it up, depends how long the journey was)
    Delivery Drivers: £1
    Hairdressers: £5 to my hairdresser (because I'm in there a good few hours and have a LOT of hair to deal with), £2 to the girl who washed my hair

Went to a restaurant with some friends the other week, a big group of us for someone's birthday, everyone refused to tip, so myself and one other person ended up stumping up the whole tip! We'd had really good service all evening as well. It wouldn't have bothered me so much if the person complaining most hadn't been complaining that she was a "poor student" (We all are), but then gone and bought a £7 beer!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    FYI, no job is easy. Waitressing is no harder than working on a shop floor with tons of demanding customers, or working in a bar full of drunken louts etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    FYI, no job is easy. Waitressing is no harder than working on a shop floor with tons of demanding customers, or working in a bar full of drunken louts etc.
    I have done shop work and bar work, waiting if hardest by far, and I want people to serve me to be of a higher standard than a minimum wage surrender monkey. Tipping means people with manners and brains serve you, no tips those people wont work in resteraunts and your left with retards messing with your food.

your choice
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't really tip unless its a small amount of change like a pound and I'm not bothered to put in my wallet/we're all in a rush to leave.

Although I don't think waiters/cabbies etc have a right to be tipped, they do a job and they're expected to carry it out to the highest standard to earn the pay they get. Other professions don't get tipped.

*Scrubs piece* If Dr.Cox saves lives for a living he should be tipped rather than the barista at the coffee shop who pulls a lever and presses a button. (Btw in jest, I'm sure people in all fields work just as hard as eachother, I wouldn't know!)
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll tip in a restaurant if I have change and the service was good, but its usually just whatever change I have in my purse, not usually 10% though, food in restaurants is expensive enough as it is. With taxi drivers I might give a bit like if they asked for £9 and I only had a tenner I'd say keep the change. Don't tip anyone else though.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.