The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drewb
Also, for a sample you can test to destruction. An example is testing the lifetime of batteries, if you test all of the batteries using a census, then you would have no batteries left; using a sample means you only test some of the batteries so you will still have some left.

Good point. I remember a similar question about cookers in a recent paper.
Reply 41
Do any of you guys have the Jan12 question paper and mark scheme?
Original post by masterhr1
Do any of you guys have the Jan12 question paper and mark scheme?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1971182
Reply 43
Original post by Groat
Adding to raheem's definitions, I've taken the definitions from past papers and bolded the words that you must have to get the marks.

Thanks for this. It's very useful.
Where are Raheems definitions?
Original post by al_miller

Page 1
Reply 45
Original post by al_miller

Go to this link.

the boundaries were bloody high for this paper..i was doin the jan06 paper this morning, and it was much easier and also had way lower boundaries(58/75)..edexcel takes the p***
Original post by master_blaster66
the boundaries were bloody high for this paper..i was doin the jan06 paper this morning, and it was much easier and also had way lower boundaries(58/75)..edexcel takes the p***

Eh, boundaries should be lower than that. More people taking it in June = more variation in results = lower boundaries. Generally speaking :tongue:
Original post by Dreamweaver
Eh, boundaries should be lower than that. More people taking it in June = more variation in results = lower boundaries. Generally speaking :tongue:

Bloody hope so :wink:
Original post by Dreamweaver

yeh good point
Reply 50
Original post by Groat
Adding to raheem's definitions, I've taken the definitions from past papers and bolded the words that you must have to get the marks.

Critical Region: The range of values of the test statistic that would lead you to reject the null hypothesis.
Significance Level: The probability of incorrectly rejecting the null hypothesis.
Sampling Frame: A list of all the members of a population.
Population: Collection of all items.
Statistic: A random variable that is a function of the sample values which contains no unknown parameters.
Sampling Distribution: All possible samples of the statistic and their associated probabilities.
Census: Where every member of the population is investigated.
Sampling Unit: An individual member of the sampling frame.
Sample: A subset of a population.
Hypothesis Test: A mathematical procedure to examine a value of a population parameter proposed by the null hypothesis compared with an alternative hypothesis.

Assumptions for Binomial:
Occurrences are independent.
The probability of each outcome remains constant.
Two distinguishable outcomes.
Fixed number of trials.

Assumptions for Poisson:
Events occur singly.
The rate remains constant.
Events are independent.

Binomial approximated to Poisson:
n is large.
p is small.
Mean is near to the variance.

Binomial approximated to Normal:
n is large.
p is close to 0.5.

Poisson approximated to Normal:
Lambda is large.

A sample instead of a census
Saves time.
Cheaper.
Easier.

A census instead of a sample
Known population.
Easily accessible.
Total accuracy.

Continuity correction
Normal is continuous, whereas poisson and binomial are discrete.

Thanks man, you are awesome :rock: Can you tell me from what year onward these are from?
Reply 51
Hey...

Can someone please explain how to do this question?

maths.jpg
Reply 52
Question 4b to be exact.

The question also comes in the S2 Textbook. Mixed Exercise 1E Question 7.
Original post by Lostmoon9
Hey...

Can someone please explain how to do this question?

maths.jpg

4a) set no. of trials, only two possible outcomes, events are independent, probability is constant

4b)i) Die is biased so the probability of 5 coming up will 2/7, and the probability of all the others will be 1/7 - adding up to 7/7, of course.

First five occurs on the sixth throw:

So, (1/7)^5 for the first five throws where 5 DOESN'T come up. And then times that by (2/7) for the sixth throw when 5 DOES come up.

ii) 8C3 x (2/7)^3 x (5/7)^5

Hope that helped :smile: Let me know if they're correct :wink:
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
4a) set no. of trials, only two possible outcomes, events are independent, probability is constant

4b)i) Die is biased so the probability of 5 coming up will 2/7, and the probability of all the others will be 1/7 - adding up to 7/7, of course.

First five occurs on the sixth throw:

So, (1/7)^5 for the first five throws where 5 DOESN'T come up. And then times that by (2/7) for the sixth throw when 5 DOES come up.

ii) 8C3 x (2/7)^3 x (5/7)^5

Hope that helped :smile: Let me know if they're correct :wink:

I know stupid question, but I don't understand how the probability of a 5 coming up is 2/7 :s-smilie: and why not 2/6?

Edit: is it because all the other faces are likely to appear? and if the probability of a number 5 appearing was 1/3 then there wouldn't be an equal probability of the other faces appearing?
(edited 11 years ago)
For hypothesis testing, say you have cars passing traffic x~b(50, 0.2)

and there is 7 cars that pass a traffic lights

how do you know if to consider

p(x>=7) or p(x<=7) ?
Original post by Extricated
For hypothesis testing, say you have cars passing traffic x~b(50, 0.2)

and there is 7 cars that pass a traffic lights

how do you know if to consider

p(x>=7) or p(x<=7) ?

Is that all the question says? Doesn't it have any keywords that would indicate an "increase" or "decrease" in the number of cars passing the traffic?

There's usually keywords or says in the end "Test at 5% significance level to see if there is evidence of an increase in the number of cars passing traffic" or if someone's claim is correct.

In this case, because it's out of 50 cars and only 7 pass, then I think you would consider p(x<=7) ?
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
I know stupid question, but I don't understand how the probability of a 5 coming up is 2/7 :s-smilie: and why not 2/6?

Edit: is it because all the other faces are likely to appear? and if the probability of a number 5 appearing was 1/3 then there wouldn't be an equal probability of the other faces appearing?

Yep, you got it :smile: Always add up the probabilities, if they don't add up to 1 you're doing something wrong :wink:
Reply 58
Just getting into the swing of past papers now, and have downloaded my first solomon press paper for S2 today!

So, making progress.

How about everyone else?

M.
Reply 59
I should really start S2 revision but I keep coming back to C2 because I find it so much easier :|

Latest

Trending

Trending