The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

we only learnt hypothesis testing today in school, which only leaves me a week to revise for the exam :frown: cant see this going well at all
Original post by amoo94
does anyone know if there will be an unofficial mark scheme for this after the exam?

Ill be getting a copy from my maths teacher, but I dont think I could make solutions.

Anyway, whats everybody aiming for? Im trying for 100UMS
Original post by mishmash67
we only learnt hypothesis testing today in school, which only leaves me a week to revise for the exam :frown: cant see this going well at all

Chill babes. Revise hypothesis testing for around 2 hours and do some questions on it and you'll be sorted. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience - I can't tell you how much I hated it when we learnt it at school so I forced myself to revise at home. Determination is all you need my friend. :redface:
Original post by Jukeboxing
Ill be getting a copy from my maths teacher, but I dont think I could make solutions.

I want 100 as well because I've already got 100 in M2 so if I get 100 in S2, then I'll just need 70UMS in FP2 for an A* in Further Maths (and 70 in both FP3 and M3). It's just that s2 is supposed to be on of the easier ones, so thats where it's idea to pick up all the marks. :redface:
Reply 84
:colone:
Original post by sweetascandy
I want 100 as well because I've already got 100 in M2 so if I get 100 in S2, then I'll just need 70UMS in FP2 for an A* in Further Maths (and 70 in both FP3 and M3). It's just that s2 is supposed to be on of the easier ones, so thats where it's idea to pick up all the marks. :redface:

100 on M2!?!?! WOW, that's genuinely quite impressive. How on earth did you avoid those silly mistakes?
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
100 on M2!?!?! WOW, that's genuinely quite impressive. How on earth did you avoid those silly mistakes?

Honestly, it was just an easy paper :smile: See the thing is, I like finishing the paper very quickly (i.e. 30-45mins) so I have loooaddss of time in the end to do every question like 5 times - this way, mistakes are easily avoided. :smile: I'm really badly tripping on m3 though - hence the need to do well in s2 and the fp's to cover it all up :p:
Honestly, it was just an easy paper :smile: See the thing is, I like finishing the paper very quickly (i.e. 30-45mins) so I have loooaddss of time in the end to do every question like 5 times - this way, mistakes are easily avoided. :smile: I'm really badly tripping on m3 though - hence the need to do well in s2 and the fp's to cover it all up :p:

Which year was the exam? I used to be that kind of person but I'm so bad at checking my work. Like, even in a real exam, I'm just like: obviously that's right, oh look, it's a round number, it has to be correct. I'm getting better at checking, though.

Btw, you should've done this year's M1 exam. There was so much time it actually became unreal. I got so suspicious that I'd missed something I started turning my paper upside down and stuff, looking for secret questions, lool :smile:

Apparently M3's borderline impossible. I'm definitely gonna go for D2. Really hoping for an easy M2 exam. I'll be sooooo happy if I get an A* in FM. Agh, it's not like it's even that difficult, it's just so fluky with the exams - one mistake and it's all over :frown:

Im only doing AS further maths, so I dont really need 100; just aiming high.

I'm on track for an A* in Maths, got 98/100 in C3. Its a real improvement for me considering I had no 90's in AS maths.

I do the exact same, I finish very quickly and then just sit there trying to identify my mistakes. On M1 I picked up on alot of mistakes apart from one which cost me 100UMS.
Reply 89

If you upload it (obviously after midnight the night of the exam) i'm sure between us all we could put something together if there isn't one elsewhere :smile:
Original post by amoo94
If you upload it (obviously after midnight the night of the exam) i'm sure between us all we could put something together if there isn't one elsewhere :smile:

Okay, I'll upload it if no ones going to make any solutions.
Im only doing AS further maths, so I dont really need 100; just aiming high.

I'm on track for an A* in Maths, got 98/100 in C3. Its a real improvement for me considering I had no 90's in AS maths.

I do the exact same, I finish very quickly and then just sit there trying to identify my mistakes. On M1 I picked up on alot of mistakes apart from one which cost me 100UMS.

Ooh, I got 98 in C3 as well! High five! :five: That means we only need 82 in C4 to secure an A*. But c4 seems like nothing after all the FM modules!
By the bolded part, does that mean you got 0UMS in M1? :p:

Which year was the exam? I used to be that kind of person but I'm so bad at checking my work. Like, even in a real exam, I'm just like: obviously that's right, oh look, it's a round number, it has to be correct. I'm getting better at checking, though.

Btw, you should've done this year's M1 exam. There was so much time it actually became unreal. I got so suspicious that I'd missed something I started turning my paper upside down and stuff, looking for secret questions, lool :smile:

Apparently M3's borderline impossible. I'm definitely gonna go for D2. Really hoping for an easy M2 exam. I'll be sooooo happy if I get an A* in FM. Agh, it's not like it's even that difficult, it's just so fluky with the exams - one mistake and it's all over :frown:

It was this year in January. See I always have a tendency to do that as well, so what I do is I cover up my answers, re-do the answer in pencil on the next page and compare them. Mind you, it does get a little boring after you do it like 5 time! :sigh: Getting bored after finishing too early - #firstworldproblems :p:

My offer requires me to get an A* in maths but just an A in FM (or Physics which I'm pretty close to giving up on). It will be more plausible to get an A* if I score v high in s2 next week, as I'll need less UMS elsewhere. :redface:
Ooh, I got 98 in C3 as well! High five! :five: That means we only need 82 in C4 to secure an A*. But c4 seems like nothing after all the FM modules!

It was this year in January. See I always have a tendency to do that as well, so what I do is I cover up my answers, re-do the answer in pencil on the next page and compare them. Mind you, it does get a little boring after you do it like 5 time! :sigh: Getting bored after finishing too early - #firstworldproblems :p:

My offer requires me to get an A* in maths but just an A in FM (or Physics which I'm pretty close to giving up on). It will be more plausible to get an A* if I score v high in s2 next week, as I'll need less UMS elsewhere. :redface:

:five:

C4 is easy. I like your method for checking for silly mistakes mentioned above, Im going to use it for S2 FP1 and C4. I wish I could have done A2 F Maths, looks fun :frown: .

I'm yet to find out my M1 score :tongue:

What have you applied for? Maths?
(edited 11 years ago)

Haha, I do the same! Yeah, our teacher recommended we cover everything up and then go through the whole thing again. I kinda feel like a douche after doing it once because the invigilators are just like, "WTF is wrong with this guy!?"

And fair enough, M2 this year was fairly easy - and Edexcel, realising this, will probably making this session's insanely difficult. *sigh*
Reply 94
Absolutely dreading S2. I just mess up on the c.d.f. and p.d.f. stuff. I need an A in this :frown:
:five:
C4 is easy. I like your method for checking for silly mistakes mentioned above, Im going to use it for S2 FP1 and C4. I wish I could have done A2 F Maths, looks fun :frown: .

I'm yet to find out my M1 score :tongue:

What have you applied for? Maths?

Believe me, FUN is the last word I would use to describe FM! -__-
And no I'm going to UCL for economics :smile: Wbu?

Haha, I do the same! Yeah, our teacher recommended we cover everything up and then go through the whole thing again. I kinda feel like a douche after doing it once because the invigilators are just like, "WTF is wrong with this guy!?"

And fair enough, M2 this year was fairly easy - and Edexcel, realising this, will probably making this session's insanely difficult. *sigh*

You know what...stuff the invigilators - they can think whatever they want as long as I get my grade in the end :cool:
And nahh I think exams in Summer generally have lower grade boundaries because in January, it's mostly people that are like extra prepared who do it early; everyone else does it in June so I guess more variations potentially?
Reply 96
June 2009 8. (c)

Context: A cloth manufacturer knows that faults occur randomly in the production process at a rate of 2 every 15 metres.

'A retailer buys a large amount of this cloth and sells it in pieces of length x metres. He chooses x so that the probability of no faults in a piece is 0.8.

Write down an equation for x and show that x = 1.7 to 2 significant figures.'

I'm not too sure how to tackle this question, I looked at the mark scheme but that hasn't exactly helped either. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 97
Anyone know any good revision sites for S2??? Desperately looking for some!
Reply 98
Quick question to help everyone
WHAT IS THE GENERAL RULE FOR THE SF OR DECIMAL PLACES
I KNOW IF YOU USE TABLES YOU SAY SO AND DO 4 SF. BUT WHAT IF YOU DO THE QUESTION YOURSELF. WHAT IS MINIMUM AND HOW MANY SHOULD YOU DO?
i know m2 has 2/3 sf max
Reply 99
S2 revision time :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending