Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK students not concerned enough about health

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I'd like to say that i'm not criticising students in the Uk in particular, but since that's all i know, i will limit the scope of my argument.

I think that students in British universities don't usually care about their health. There is always the preoccupation with being fit/skinny, but then it is solved by consuming low-calorie food which is not really that good for you. I feel that instant noodles, pizza or everything ready to go is what most students go for. I live in a catered accommodation hall and the food is really crappy, but no one seems to care about it or do something to change it. Most of my friends eat junk food and soda almost every day.

This is especially serious for naturally thin people because teenagers usually only start exercising or eating less when it starts affecting their bodies. As for these naturally thin people, they don't really have to care, do they? I mean, as long as they keep thin, they can eat as much junk food as they want, right?

This is really sad since in the future they will regret abusing their bodies this much. You may not face the consequences of not eating healthily or not exercising now, but you definitely will in the future. Besides, they will look old much sooner.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannaaahlima)
    Firstly, I'd like to say that i'm not criticising students in the Uk in particular, but since that's all i know, i will limit the scope of my argument.

I think that students in British universities don't usually care about their health. There is always the preoccupation with being fit/skinny, but then it is solved by consuming low-calorie food which is not really that good for you. I feel that instant noodles, pizza or everything ready to go is what most students go for. I live in a catered accommodation hall and the food is really crappy, but no one seems to care about it or do something to change it. Most of my friends eat junk food and soda almost every day.

This is especially serious for naturally thin people because teenagers usually only start exercising or eating less when it starts affecting their bodies. As for these naturally thin people, they don't really have to care, do they? I mean, as long as they keep thin, they can eat as much junk food as they want, right?

This is really sad since in the future they will regret abusing their bodies this much. You may not face the consequences of not eating healthily or not exercising now, but you definitely will in the future. Besides, they will look old much sooner.
    It's all about balance, for example there are people I know who are teetotal and anti-drugs but they eat like ****. And then I eat pretty well and exercise all the time, but if someone offers me a drug, I'll just do it. Also very low calorie diets have been proven to increase the lifespan of mice by significant amounts.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it is their own life to lead and yes I agree, it's a shame, but we can't force them to change their diet; only they can do that. I have 2 friends who are similar, one does not go to the gym and eats all sorts of crap, drinks alcohol, junkfood, carbonated drinks, everything. Yet he does not put on any weight and he is fine with that. I have another friend who goes to the gym and wants to get bigger, but he still drinks ridiculous amounts at the weekend and his diet is poorer than the first friend and he thinks he can remedy all his bad dietary decisions by taking protein shakes a few times a day. :rolleyes: As you say, they are healthy, but only on the outside. The effect of consuming all that crap and junk will have to rear its ugly head sooner or later.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find OP that most people in Western Countries act like this, not just the UK.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    To be honest, it is their own life to lead and yes I agree, it's a shame
    No need to feel sorry for them - in most cases it's just a choice they make. I doubt they sit around worrying about people that spend all their time in the gym, watching what they eat and obsessing over how every little thing they do might impact their health.

Maybe they even feel sorry for you.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mister Dead)
    No need to feel sorry for them - in most cases it's just a choice they make. I doubt they sit around worrying about people that spend all their time in the gym, watching what they eat and obsessing over how every little thing they do might impact their health.

Maybe they even feel sorry for you.
    But do they know the choices they are making? I doubt many do acknowledge the severity of eating processed junk food. How many overweight people try and diet, only to fail and fall back into the old routine of consuming junk food, knowing full well it is exactly that that got them there in the first place? Do many even care about what they are eating?

Why would they feel sorry for me? Maintaining a meticulous diet and exercise regimen holds far more value than gorging on pizza and not being able to run half a mile without stopping. I think you are implying that because I said 'its a shame' that I am an interfering dietary do-gooder who frowns on anybody who does not eat like me.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Its due to there insecurities they decide to go all whacko!
    And then they pretend that there happy.
    Its sick, Its the west.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why would they feel sorry for me? Maintaining a meticulous diet and exercise regimen holds far more value than gorging on pizza and not being able to run half a mile without stopping
    For you.

Some people put no value in running and put a lot of value in eating and drinking things that happen to be unhealthy and lying about being sedentary. I'm not suggesting you frown on people or get ****ty with them at all, just that you appear to think you know what's best for them when you don't.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mister Dead)
    For you.

Some people put no value in running and put a lot of value in eating and drinking things that happen to be unhealthy and lying about being sedentary. I'm not suggesting you frown on people or get ****ty with them at all, just that you appear to think you know what's best for them when you don't.
    Well that is entirely up to them, which is what I said, who am I to tell someone to change? I wouldn't. However, everyone knows eating healthy and taking regular exercise makes you both look and feel better. Do you know why people don't do it? Because it takes effort, and some people are too lazy.

Look for yourself, the advice is everywhere. Anybody who thinks eating junk food, consuming vast quantities of alcohol and taking zero exercise 'is best for them' from the perspective of maintaining a healthy body, is completely and utterly wrong. Really, this is silly. I like to live a healthy lifestyle, other people do not. I do not look down on them, but I believe a lot of people, especially people in the vibrancy of youth at university, would benefit from becoming more nutritionally aware. I'm not going to debate this any further, there is no need.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I am skinny and I am tired of people saying I am not healthy just because I don't go to the gym or "don't eat enough". I eat three meals a day and snack when I'm fairly hungry. I'll try to eat fruit, but I'll eat crisps/ chocolates as well. I always have mixed vegetables at least 4/5 days a week.

People go on and on and on about eating healthy because if you don't, so and so will happen. To be honest, I think its exaggerated quite a lot. People seem to think that balanced diet leads to a healthy life. Well it isn't the only factor. You can have a perfectly balanced diet, but have irregular sleeping patterns, be stressed, moody, depressed, whatever. Yes, a balanced diet helps lead a happy, healthy life, but it isn't the only thing.

The second sort of rant I have is this obsession with going to the gym. People seem to think we'll have horrible troubles later on in life if we don't keep fit. Well I'm sorry, but tell that to my Nan, who is 85 and living a perfectly happy life, never once gone to a gym. Yes, she has a few problems, but that comes with age, not necessarily diet and definitely not lack of exercise. I'm not saying eating junk food is ok. It isn't okay to eat junk food everyday. My point is that there are two sides to the coin. We frequently hear people tell us that we need to be more careful, but what we don't hear enough about is that sometimes people become TOO worried about their diet and just forget to live life a little. By all means, educate people about what foods are healthy, what should be moderated etc, but it shouldn't be forced down people's throats, especially considering the older generation have lived perfectly happy lives without going to a gym, without meticulously going through their diet as well.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You seem to imply there's an optimum amount of concern, how would you work out what that level is and when the student population has achieved it?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    everyone knows eating healthy and taking regular exercise makes you both look and feel better. Do you know why people don't do it? Because it takes effort, and some people are too lazy.
    I'm one of those skinny people who can eat what they want.
    It's wonderful.

I don't excercise apart from lifting weights and I don't bother to eat healthily because it has absolutely no value for me. I'm not lazy I just have better things to do. And I find that all of the food that happens to be unhealthy is the best food! So why waste my time counting calories when I can enjoy myself and stay thin anyway?
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daviant)
    Also very low calorie diets have been proven to increase the lifespan of mice by significant amounts.
    Somehow, there's a flaw with this findings if it were to be used against humans.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieEclipse)
    It's wonderful.

I don't excercise apart from lifting weights and I don't bother to eat healthily because it has absolutely no value for me. I'm not lazy I just have better things to do. And I find that all of the food that happens to be unhealthy is the best food! So why waste my time counting calories when I can enjoy myself and stay thin anyway?
    Strong skinnyfat detected.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    TBH, I'm sure they know that they're eating crap, but unfortunately 18 year olds think they're invincable. Most do, and one in the future will too. Either they'll grow out of it, or one day will suddenly feel the damage and will resolve to eat better.

I'm more concerned about students binge drinking. It still doesn't stop me, but I am conscious of the harm it's doing to my liver.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its weird that some people think 'living life' involves destroying your body by drinking and whatnot.

There's nothing wrong with partying, after all we're young but people have misplaced values it seems.

How could any one make the argument that being a lazy skinny-fat slob with a poor diet is just as good or even better than being healthy and fit. What 'better' things could there be to do than improving your body and your life.

Then again each to his own right?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alipereira)
    What 'better' things could there be to do than improving your body and your life.
    Binge drinking alcohol and eating junk food it seems. I agree with you completely. I guess being healthy isn't 'cool' enough yet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieEclipse)
    It's wonderful.

it's ok while you're young but wait until you're in your late twenties...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Somehow, there's a flaw with this findings if it were to be used against humans.
    Not a flaw, but the effect is stronger in mice because they have a shorter lifespan, and no decent studies have been done on humans, since they live for 70 years+.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daviant)
    Not a flaw, but the effect is stronger in mice because they have a shorter lifespan, and no decent studies have been done on humans, since they live for 70 years+.
    How does putting something in a mice correlate with putting something in a human being?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 13, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.