The Student Room Group
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle

University of Cumbria

Hey Guys, anyone firmed Cumbria (Carlisle; Brampton Road Campus) for 2012?

If so, what you guys going to be studying? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ClarkeFace
Hey Guys, anyone firmed Cumbria (Carlisle; Brampton Road Campus) for 2012?

If so, what you guys going to be studying? :smile:

I'm a 2nd year student studying graphic design but wow I think you are the first person I've seen posting about going to BR (it really is a overlooked place to study) I hope you enjoy your time here cause I think it's awesome :smile: What are you studying?
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle
It's my insurance (which is looking more likely!).

Fusehill Street, Criminology with social science :biggrin: xx
Reply 3
hey, yeah I'm just waiting for the accommodation stuff to come through now, hoping to live on the fusehill campus studying "policing, investigation and criminology".

took gap year out to work (bad idea with the current economic situation) and am now completely bored, can't wait till September now. :smile:
Reply 4
none of the accomodation at lancaster in en suite :frown: and it is my firm. dont know wether going for private accomodation would be a good idea though? so confused and i wouldn't know anybody else going for private as well.
Reply 5
Original post by Jiyeon
I'm a 2nd year student studying graphic design but wow I think you are the first person I've seen posting about going to BR (it really is a overlooked place to study) I hope you enjoy your time here cause I think it's awesome :smile: What are you studying?

Hey! im studying graphic design too! could you give me some details on the course? :biggrin: so excited about it!
Reply 6
Original post by ClarkeFace
Hey! im studying graphic design too! could you give me some details on the course? :biggrin: so excited about it!

Well you'll be going into first year I'm guessing. I've just finished my first year and our tutor is Tony Peart he's a pretty brilliant bloke (very critical but thats what you need as a graphic designer). I've been here since 2010 as I started my year 0 foundation and I love it. Year 1 is a mix up of so many different things and skills you learn you still do a lot of traditional stuff like life drawing, illustration, and graphic design related stuff. You also have mandatory computer sessions for programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign etc with Maureen or Marc (I had Marc I hope you get him too he's lovely and so passionate about what he does!). You'll also get inductions for things like final cut pro, stop motion equipment and other programs like that. All year 1 students this year have been given blogs to post on as part of the course (you'll probably get the same thing) you can check mine out here as you can get a feel of some of the things I've done and been looking at. I'm not gonna lie it can be brutal and fast paced BUT if you take on board what the tutors say and learn from it you'll really enjoy yourself. Being lazy on this course never works and I've known a couple who've ended up in deep shiat cause of it. I really spend most of my time in the studio as it's the perfect enviroment to work it's always busy.

On your first week you'll have a welcome week timetable and brief, in year 0 we made aprons about our personalitys and walked down the catwalk and this year it was self portraits that you could literally put your face/hands through it really was a lot of fun. They do the typical ice breaker sessions which are fun you really just get to know everyone and break the ice it's all in good fun. If you want to know anymore please feel free to ask I love this course and the tutors/students probably the nicest and most welcoming place I went to when I was intereviewed and I've never regretted my decision. Who interviewed you? Theres Zoe, Jim, Simon or Tony I believe. I had my interview with Jim :smile: Also to give you an idea of what happened in the welcome week you can see the blog posts on the GRILLUST blog here.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Criminology & Law!!!! :smile:
Reply 8
Primary Education at Lancaster campus.
Original post by Dessie
Primary Education at Lancaster campus.

*waves frantically*
I've been given a conditional offer on the 4 year Special Ed course. Can't wait! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by buildalegohouse
*waves frantically*
I've been given a conditional offer on the 4 year Special Ed course. Can't wait! :smile:

i've got one for the Primary Education 3 year! can't wait!!! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by buildalegohouse
*waves frantically*

Original post by Fiona_94

I'll be doing the 3 year course too.
Reply 12
Original post by Dessie
I'll be doing the 3 year course too.

oh cool! have you firmly accepted? x
Reply 13
oh cool! have you firmly accepted? x

Yeah, accepted my offer at the weekend.

You commuting or living on campus?
Reply 14
Original post by Dessie
Yeah, accepted my offer at the weekend.

You commuting or living on campus?

Yeah, I accepted quite a while ago as my one and only choice.
I live pretty far out tbh, so i'm hopefully gonna be living at Uni :smile: you? x
Reply 15
Yeah, I accepted quite a while ago as my one and only choice.
I live pretty far out tbh, so i'm hopefully gonna be living at Uni :smile: you? x

I'm only 30 minutes down the motorway so I'll be commuting.

It was a toss up between there and edgehill for me but I much preferred everyone I met and saw at the cumbria interview than the edgehill one, plus Lancaster is a great city for students.

Can't wait for September.
Reply 16
Original post by Dessie
I'm only 30 minutes down the motorway so I'll be commuting.

It was a toss up between there and edgehill for me but I much preferred everyone I met and saw at the cumbria interview than the edgehill one, plus Lancaster is a great city for students.

Can't wait for September.

ah right, that's good then. Yeah same, I went to Manc - Met interview, but even though I love Manchester, the people at Lancaster we're a lot more.. welcoming :smile:
I have. Wildlife & Media (:
Reply 18

I've gone for the 3 year Primary Education tooooo! Can't wait either!!! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by Jawjee
I've gone for the 3 year Primary Education tooooo! Can't wait either!!! :biggrin:

Hey, will you be living on campus or commuting? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending