Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the highest paid jobs in the finance/banking industry

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As question states?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Essentially, trading can earn you the most money if you're very good.

Just look at Morgan Sze as an example.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Bernie Madoff model, caveat, don't get caught.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1st year analyst @ Royal Bank of Scotland

livin' the dream
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zalachenko)
    Essentially, trading can earn you the most money if you're very good.

Just look at Morgan Sze as an example.
    Sales almost always earn more than traders.
    Unless you are a star trader, Sales will be better paid.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    warren buffet
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're including all finance roles, then there must be some CFOs out there on serious money within FTSE 100s.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    If you're including all finance roles, then there must be some CFOs out there on serious money within FTSE 100s.
    CFOs of large companies are probably as rare as very right tail hedge fund managers but the managers make a lot more money

that's not to say your point about them making money is wrong btw, its just that "highest paid" is hardly ever the corporate route

edit: unless youre a first year analyst at RBS
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    CFOs of large companies are probably as rare as very right tail hedge fund managers but the managers make a lot more money

that's not to say your point about them making money is wrong btw, its just that "highest paid" is hardly ever the corporate route

edit: unless youre a first year analyst at RBS
    On the whole I totally agree, but if we're talking literally THE highest paid, I would presume CFOs at some of the worlds largest companies probably are raking in a hell of a lot. Perhaps I presume wrong
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Banks don't really trade.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, really.... they are market makers and position takers.

not the same as outright trading - Market Wizards
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)
    Banks don't really trade.
    That's called trading pal. What about proprietary trading? Morgan Sze ring a bell? What do you think the Volcker Rule was established for post-2008?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonnyZH)
    That's called trading pal. What about proprietary trading? Morgan Sze ring a bell? What do you think the Volcker Rule was established for post-2008?

http://www.iasg.com/managed-futures/performance

* gets my binoculars out looking for the mythical bank trader anywhere in the top 30*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txi)
    Still no banker within the entire list

No matter how many pic you post of your banker hereos won't change that

LOL
    Seriously? Some of those funds have 100k under management...

Also quite a few bankers who are setting up now are coming from principal strategies groups so they do multi-strategy, everything from trading volatility to distressed debt...not managed futures. Managed futures is pretty rinky-dink anyway.

There are numerous people who have come from banks (and even IBD) who make silly cash. Given the size of banks, that shouldn't be suprising. If you want examples, pretty much everyone from places Brevan Howard and Bluecrest used to work at banks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so how much do 1st year analysts for RBS get annually then?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    On the whole I totally agree, but if we're talking literally THE highest paid, I would presume CFOs at some of the worlds largest companies probably are raking in a hell of a lot. Perhaps I presume wrong
    You're right. C-suite execs will make a lot of money. It's just there are very few places. Take your CFO example. There can only ever be 100 FTSE 100 CEOs, so not a lot of scope to get to that position unless one of them dies or leaves/gets fired.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crcr)
    Seriously? Some of those funds have 100k under management...

Also quite a few bankers who are setting up now are coming from principal strategies groups so they do multi-strategy, everything from trading volatility to distressed debt...not managed futures. Managed futures is pretty rinky-dink anyway.

There are numerous people who have come from banks (and even IBD) who make silly cash. Given the size of banks, that shouldn't be suprising. If you want examples, pretty much everyone from places Brevan Howard and Bluecrest used to work at banks.

Banks and their devotees are such BS losers - they are always shooting their mouths off at how great their trading is.

But when it comes to the real deal - revealing their trading stats, they are nowhere to be seen.

When there is quantifiable evidence of performance they can't even make the top 30 - the AUM can be reconfigured anyway and still no bank insight.

I guess you don't have to worry about that when you got govt. connections to bail you out.

Reason why amounts are small is that CTAs trade with their OWN cash, unlike banks who use customer cash/ positions - they don't have the guts to trade on their own

Can't get more rinky dink than that
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really interesting how some self appointed bank cheerleaders who haven't even set one foot in a bank trading room get hurt and upset by independent statistics.

Banks do NOT trade - not their own cash at least, the IASG stats are clear and present and are not here to guarantee against hurt feelings. Get over it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    trading probably, but my dad seems to be doing fine as an accountant based in canary wharf

(Original post by Fires)
    Cocaine salesman in Canary Wharf.
    some guy was shot 6 times and still not killed outside our flat a month or 2 back... some kind of drug war....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fires)
    Cocaine salesman in Canary Wharf.
    Hahaa, made me chuckle :')

But yeah, I would say the CFOs or Hedge Fund Managers with their fund making tons of money.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 16, 2012
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.