The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
Original post by buildalegohouse
I'm TOTALLY dreading the 16th, really think I've messed up in Geog and English lit.
Only one more to go tomorrow- General Studies, but not particularly worried about that. Good luck everyone x

Are you doing AS, or A2?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by madders94
Can't remember if it's 240 or 260 points, I think that's a B and two Cs/two Bs and a C? I've applied for special consideration so if I don't meet the offer the uni will have a letter hopefully so they might be a bit lenient :redface:

I think it's two Cs and a B :biggrin:
Ah that's good then, you don't have to worry so much :smile: my sister gets special consideration because she broke her toe LOL
Reply 1062
Original post by Oromis263
240 - CCC
260 - BCC

Or any combination, this is just minimum grade achievable in each subject, if minimum is just reached. If that makes sense..
:smile:

Ah, thanks for explaining :h: I'm predicted an A in Psychology so I guess if I get that I can afford to drop in others :smile:
Reply 1063
Original post by thelooby94
I think it's two Cs and a B :biggrin:
Ah that's good then, you don't have to worry so much :smile: my sister gets special consideration because she broke her toe LOL

I was really surprised when reading up on it, I thought I'd maybe be eligible for 1% but it turns out you can get 1% for people being noisy outside the exam room and hayfever during the exam, so I might get something like 3% :smile:
Name: Swifty
AS Levels/A Levels: Biology, Psychology, RS
UCAS (firm & insurance, required grades, if applicable): C100 - Biology: Durham AAB, Lancaster ABB

Sup
I'm doing AS levels, in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature.

Predicted AAAA

How I think I did:

AABD

In English, I don't think my essays were any good and I was sick in the largest chemistry exam so can't expect any more than U.
I was really surprised when reading up on it, I thought I'd maybe be eligible for 1% but it turns out you can get 1% for people being noisy outside the exam room and hayfever during the exam, so I might get something like 3% :smile:

Yah I was reading about this the other day too :smile: isn't it like 5% if a close family members passed away recently?
It's 1% for a headache, I mean I literally have headaches daily but I would never say "I have a headache, please can I have special consideration" :colone:
Reply 1067
Yah I was reading about this the other day too :smile: isn't it like 5% if a close family members passed away recently?
It's 1% for a headache, I mean I literally have headaches daily but I would never say "I have a headache, please can I have special consideration" :colone:

Yeah, and for the terminal illness of the candidate it's 5% too. I really didn't want to apply but my doctor suggested it and wrote a letter so I did :smile:

Really? These must mean serious headaches, right? I never knew that, I consistently get migraines during exam periods, wish I'd known this before (although, I doubt mine are as bad as required)! Definitely affected me in January. :P

EDIT: That being said, I think I'd prefer just to get what I get, I would feel bad about being 'given' marks that may or may not make the difference in my grades. I wouldn't feel like I deserved it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1069
Name: itshusi
A Levels: Maths, Computing, Photography, Psychology.
AS Results: BCCB
Firm: University of Sussex (BBB)
Insurance: Oxford Brookes University (BBC)
Course: Accounting and Finance
Yeah, and for the terminal illness of the candidate it's 5% too. I really didn't want to apply but my doctor suggested it and wrote a letter so I did :smile:

I know what you mean but if it does actually affect your exams then it's fair :smile:
Really? These must mean serious headaches, right? I never knew that, I consistently get migraines during exam periods, wish I'd known this before (although, I doubt mine are as bad as required)! Definitely affected me in January. :P

EDIT: That being said, I think I'd prefer just to get what I get, I would feel bad about being 'given' marks that may or may not make the difference in my grades. I wouldn't feel like I deserved it.

It didn't specify serious but who knows! :smile:
And yeah I'd rather just let it be
Been trying not to notice this thread every time it pops up at the side, but might as well now I have no exams left...

Still just looking forward to going on holiday and forgetting about results day for a couple of weeks to be honest...

Then gotta do this all again next year! :biggrin:
Reply 1073

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1583520/Special-consideration-for-exams-the-rules.html

Five per cent
•Terminal illness of student
•Terminal illness of a parent
•Recent death of a member of the immediate family
•Serious and disruptive "domestic crisis" leading to acute anxiety about the family

Four per cent
•Incapacitating illness suffered by candidate or family member
•Major surgery near the examination
•Severe illness
•Severe car accident
•Recent death of extended family member

Three per cent
•Recent traumatic experience such as death of a close friend or distant relative
•Recent serious illness
•Severe congenital conditions such as epilepsy, diabetes or severe asthmatic attack
•Recently broken limbs
•Organ disease
•Physical assault before an examination
•Witnessing a distressing event on day of examination

Two per cent
•Minor illness
•Broken limb on the mend
•Recent viral illness
•Concussion
•Effects of pregnancy
•Hay fever on day of exam
•Allowance for last paper taken in a single day (if candidate has already exceeded five hours 30 minutes at GCSE or six hours at A-level)

One per cent
•Noise during examination which is more than momentary
•Illness of another candidate in exam room
•Stress or anxiety for which medication has been prescribed
•Minor ailments
•Headache
•Minor upset due to administration problems, such as wrong time allocated

It doesn't actually specify serious headaches! And hay fever is actually 2%.. I thought it was only 1%. There's actually a lot of things people aren't aware they can get it for, I didn't even realize it existed until very recently!
Damn! I could have had 5% more had I known about special consideration.
Ah well.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1583520/Special-consideration-for-exams-the-rules.html

It doesn't actually specify serious headaches! And hay fever is actually 2%.. I thought it was only 1%. There's actually a lot of things people aren't aware they can get it for, I didn't even realize it existed until very recently!

Same here, I recently used it to get 1% because the invigilators were talking during most of the exam :colonhash:
Does anyone know whether a uni would consider you if you got a B at English lit but a C in English language at GCSE if the requirement was a B in English

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 1077
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Damn! I could have had 5% more had I known about special consideration.
Ah well.

Same here if I'd known about it at GCSE, although to be fair I was in no fit state to apply for it :s-smilie:
Same here if I'd known about it at GCSE, although to be fair I was in no fit state to apply for it :s-smilie:

I could have had it for my A2 exams.
The school really should make pupils more aware that it does exist.
Original post by Holby_fanatic
I could have had it for my A2 exams.
The school really should make pupils more aware that it does exist.

It kinda depends on your exams officer as well. Like ours just came up to my sister when she saw her toe, and was just like yeah I am putting you in for special consideration :redface:

Latest