Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question to the religious on tsr. Would you...

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Sacrifice your place in heaven to save a loved one from hell?
    Yes I would
    80.00%
    Nope, not a chance
    20.00%

• 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay religious people, quick question here. Would you sacrifice your place in heaven for a beloved family member?

Say you're a parent and you have a child that you love dearly, but they are not religious and destined for the hell of your religion. If god asked if you would be willing to sacrifice your place in heaven (basically switch places with your child who is in hell.) would you do it?

Many parents claim that they would do ANYTHING to stop their children/loved ones suffering, so....... How far is ANYTHING?
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not something you can really judge as you are now, as you've never really perceived anything quite like Hell.

(From the Islamic perspective) On the day of judgment, the Qur'an describes the situation as;

On the day when a man fleeth from his brother, And his mother and his father, And his wife and his children, for every man that day will have concern enough to make him heedless (of others). [Q 80:34]
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well Jesus forgives everything so I probably wouldn't need to if my family member really wanted forgiveness, but yeah
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that I do have a place in heaven right now. Anyway, how would purgatory fit into this hypothetical argument that would probably never happen?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    why do people insist on avoiding the actual question?
    Yes, you might not have a guaranteed place, and yes you don't know how bad it is because you haven't perceived it yourself.
    But you can IMAGINE and come up with a half-decent guess, can't you? It would make the discussion much more interesting if people provided some positive input in terms of what the OP is asking.
    Sure, you can give a reason why things can't really be possible, but you can still provide an answer as well, like justmyopinions did.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not something you can really judge as you are now, as you've never really perceived anything quite like Hell.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'd never be asked to do something like this, I'm pretty sure the heaven/hell thing doesn't work like that. :lolwut:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Bible says that can't happen. Paul in Romans 9 expresses anguish about his fellow Isrealites who have rejected Jesus and what will happen to them, but then goes on to talk about the sovereignty of God and how God is the one who chooses who will be saved.

That said, Paul says he would swap places if he could.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jesus said that there was no greater love, than to give one's life for his/her friend. To answer the question, I don't know. What I can tell you is, if I did swap places, I would have at least one comfort in Hell. (Knowing that my child is in the true Father's arms)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2012
New on TSR

Talk about SQA results day

Join the chat ahead of grades coming out on Tuesday

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.