The Student Room Group

Fastest route to becoming an MP?

Fastest way to becoming an MP, not necessarily a cabinet minister.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go to Eaton

Edit: ETON!!!!! happy?
(edited 11 years ago)
Could always run as an independent, if you can get hold of the funding and play on the growing discontent with the 3 big parties you could probably pull it off.

Other than that join a political party, get into a good university, make some money and donate it to one of the parties so they pop you in one of their more secure constituencies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by meow444
Go to Eaton

Lol "Eaton". Says it all really.
Reply 6
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
Lol "Eaton". Says it all really.

Eton then. Whatever.

What is up with everyone obsessing over spelling?! Jeeze.
Original post by RevolutionIsNear!
Fastest way to becoming an MP, not necessarily a cabinet minister.

Thats BS, you don't need to go to Eton.

You might need a heap of talent, a strong grasp of politics and great connections.

Many MP's go to top Universities, especially Oxford, where their debating chamber is notorious for back stabbling and rowdy debates (perfect training ground). Also with top grades you have greater access to MP's or organisations offering work experience.

Once you graduate (not that it is mandatory - look at John Mayor), you got options:

- going into Law is popular, gives you money but also allows a good grasp of the legisliture that MP's work with in the future, great for communication training too

- Local government level, maybe Council Level and move up. (Comm. Secretary)

- Run as a independent (a few but it is tough)

- Apply for a major party as a junior special advisor/assistant, bag carrier etc. (PM, Chancellor)

- Private industry, then make connections and apply, notable peeps include Home Secretary.

- Civil Service, a few notable ones include the current Health Secretary, HK CEO, (resign and then apply)

For the the big parties, you have to go through a interview process to be shortlist for a A list or something familiar,

lets face it, you need to be on the top of the list for a 'safe seat', which is rare.

Can only be done with tons of elbow grease, and sell out of your soul.

OR at least, a lot of passion about your community and great communication skills. And a thick skin.

And to get off TSR.

Short term, join lots of debating societies, MUN, that kind of thing. Leadership roles is good too. Don't get a criminal record (petty is fine)

Good luck :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by meow444
Go to Eaton

Only 20 MPs in this Parliament went to Eton - however a third overall are privately educated. But that's still two thirds who are state educated.
Reply 9
Lol guys it was a joke.

I'm not feeling the love in this thread...

Oh maybe that's cos it's full of poncy Tories! Haha just kidding.

*Braces for a torrent of neg reps*
Sell your sell to the Devil. Though he has so many politicians' already I dunno if he'd need to add to the collection
Reply 11
I guess you would have to have an elite education. I guess that it is generally the same situation - elitism - in the U.S. as well.
Rich parents, Eton, Oxford, MP.
Reply 13
If you kill an MP you get their power right?

Like Highlander? :colonhash:
Reply 14
Be an immense dickhead at all times, and you should make it eventually.
I got caught robbing an old lady and was offered an internship
Be heavily involved in a party. That's how my boyfriend is doing it!

He's out there leafleting, runs the county youth division, is chairman on all sorts of party things, knows a lot of people through doing it too. There's even more that he does but I can't remember a lot of it!

He's also a local councillor. It probably helps too!
Going to Eaton isn't bad advice guys...The Dragon School, Oxford is just down the road. :wink:

(Another expensive, well known public school in case you didn't know)
Reply 18
Be fly.

article-1238900-07B650D2000005DC-896_468x311.jpg
Original post by meow444
Lol guys it was a joke.

I'm not feeling the love in this thread...

Oh maybe that's cos it's full of poncy Tories! Haha just kidding.

*Braces for a torrent of neg reps*

Good that you at least have the cognitive capacity to realise you're about to receive all that neg rep you've earnt so far in this thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending